E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

12-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #1035
johnd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 328XI

Patrys, can you share what is needed to add Combox...that looks very cool!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 05:16 AM   #1036
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Patrys, can you share what is needed to add Combox...that looks very cool!!!!
It depends on the car spec and the software version of the CIC, so I can give you more details if I get your VIN.

If the CIC software is too old it will have to be updated, so the CIC will have to be sent to me and after the update I will send it back with all other parts needed to install the Combox.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #1037
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

can we get the new connected navigation if the CIC and combox are updated?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #1038
VMAX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 545i and 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You need to change the production date to 0909 and have the correct profile files for the CIC.
I have the same problem, I have to change by coding the settings of the CIC to get the sound of the basic system and change the language.
My date production in VO is '0907 ... and 'then simply change the production vehicle by 0909?
Once coding of the CIC with my settings, I have to rewrite the VO with the old, or I can leave with 0909?
Execuse me for my bad English ....
It 's the first time I write about this fantastic forum and I take this opportunity to cordially greet all those who participated actively in this very interesting topic
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #1039
allerena
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

Garage List
Wink i-drive controller harness and CiC???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Keep in mind that a successful retrofit (without a "hack") has not yet been done. It is NOT plug-n-play...yet. You may want to wait a few months to see a few people complete this (and how.) Ask your local friendly BMW dealer if they can program this retrofit FIRST. Its likely they can't.

I think a few people have jumped the gun on this retrofit...buying parts, etc.. and such. Don't even plan on doing this (right now) unless you are planning on helping with the research and evolution of this retrofit. Plan on it NOT working if you swap parts right now - Just changing parts WILL NOT WORK. (well, everything will work except for Nav and Voice control.) If you read back a few pages, you will see that as of now, the BMW programming computer at the dealership level (ISTA/P) will not even recognize these parts in non-LCI cars and you will have you change the parts back to the CCC. A few of us with the parts are diligently working & experimenting to try to get this retrofit going.

Believe me, there will be a summary of parts required (and all part numbers, when/if obtained) as well as a procedure. But for now, we are not there.
Hi Booster and everyone else working hard on this retrofit. I am new to this forum and I have been following your CCC retrofit and now I am more interested of going directly to this new CiC.

I have a non i-drive car now, but I have received my dashboard and I am almost ready to buy the CiC parts, but what it is unclear to me is that in your PDF for the ccc retrofit you said that you made your own harness for the i-drive controller, and for the ccc itself. May ask if you ever got the chance to change those harness for OEM ones? and if you did, may I have the part numbers? if not, can you please help me figure out what kind of wiring do I need to buy to make my own? and if possible more detail on the construction of this harnesses and the junction to the dashboard wiring??? thank you very much, and I know you did that almost three years ago, but anything that you can send my way would be awesome!

I want to apologize to everyone else if I am being disruptive with this post, but I have no idea how to send private messages yet... again I am a NOOB!!! hehehe.

Cheers and keep up the good work guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:17 AM   #1040
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

No - only made the four-pin harness for the controller and the four-pin harness for the CIC. The harness for the CCC/CIC is the same as the radio - no changes needed. The existing harnesses in the car are left alone (and stock.) The OEM harnesses are integral with the WHOLE CAR, thus they were not replaced.

I would recommend consulting the BMW WDS to make sure the harness you make is exact for your car (build date/model). Technically, you can just "tap" the can-bus, power, and ground wires at the back of the CCC/CIC, but if you want to hook it all up as "stock", it must be tied into the JBE (so everything is on the correct fuse and factory diagnostics can work correctly.)

I would check the WDS first, then order (or "canibalize" from salvage wiring) the connectors for the CID and controller, and make the harness. Its very simple, and if you choose to hook it up the simple way, can been tested and hooked-up in no-time. I chose to do it the harder way, just so everything looked/worked correctly to the factory tools. If the controller and CID are just "tapped" into other bus/power sources, it will still work, but an error code will occur on the factory diagnostic computer (it will not give you any indication of a problem, it just won't appear "stock" to factory technicians, if you choose to take it to a dealer.)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #1041
thatsosm
Miracle Whip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 AW335i

OP, I didnt see you mention the total cost of this project. How much were all the parts for the retrofit.
      01-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #1042
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexosma View Post
OP, I didnt see you mention the total cost of this project. How much were all the parts for the retrofit.
Costs are all over this 49-pages thread if you just search.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #1043
thatsosm
Miracle Whip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 AW335i

Haven't seen any mention of the FINAL cost. Would be good to add it to the first post.
      01-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #1044
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexosma View Post
Haven't seen any mention of the FINAL cost. Would be good to add it to the first post.
I hope that you realize that by the time the first post was made nobody knew for a fact that the new iDrive could be retrofitted/swapped at all.

As stated too many times before, final cost greatly depends on used prices, who and where you buy the parts from, and if you already have iDrive or not. Check eBay for example... there's a full set for $1500.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #1045
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

...and as said before, I spent about $1500 for this retrofit (after selling the stock dash and old Professional radio)-- probably much cheaper now that the 2nd-gen system is out and retrofittable.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #1046
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
...and as said before, I spent about $1500 for this retrofit (after selling the stock dash and old Professional radio)-- probably much cheaper now that the 2nd-gen system is out and retrofittable.
what's the 2nd-gen system? i think the CIC hardware is the same as it was in 2009. to my understanding, the only that changed is the combox that adds a few features and new software.

i think the costs are extremely confusing despite having spent many hours reading about this. my understanding is that the parts themself are not all that expensive - about $1500 used on ebay (usually for a non-US version that does not include HD radio). i think around $2k+ if bought new from tischer. if you buy the new controller which requires a new center console trim, add another couple hundred dollars.

the coding on other hand is another extremely expensive cost - $1000 or so and another $700 or so if you want voice activation, or you can get a cheaper emulator chip for a couple hundred (patrys points out some deficiencies of this solution in his thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395559). add combox, that's another $500.

that's my basic understanding of the options out there. not cheap at all when you add in all the coding required. someone please correct me if i am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #1047
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry...confused myself on which forum I was on. (I retrofitted twice - first from no nav to the first gen (CCC), then up to the second gen system...the CIC)

Yes - costs van vary widely and its not a project to take on if you can't do some of the work yourself or if you are worried about warranty, etc... And at some point, you either bite the bullet or buy another car. Its that simple. ...and there may be bumps in the road...and you may have to drive around a while with it not complete until you get all your parts and programming lined up.

I would say Patrys has a good one-stop shopping solution... its up to you to get it installed (or better yet, do it yourself.) I ended up getting all my 2nd gen parts (less the dash & console trim) for around $1200..for the US version. Call the local salvage yards... get them to chop the harnesses you need too!

Yes..its not cheap. But either is sales tax alone when buying another car... assuming you could find exactly what you wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
what's the 2nd-gen system? i think the CIC hardware is the same as it was in 2009. to my understanding, the only that changed is the combox that adds a few features and new software.

i think the costs are extremely confusing despite having spent many hours reading about this. my understanding is that the parts themself are not all that expensive - about $1500 used on ebay (usually for a non-US version that does not include HD radio). i think around $2k+ if bought new from tischer. if you buy the new controller which requires a new center console trim, add another couple hundred dollars.

the coding on other hand is another extremely expensive cost - $1000 or so and another $700 or so if you want voice activation, or you can get a cheaper emulator chip for a couple hundred (patrys points out some deficiencies of this solution in his thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395559). add combox, that's another $500.

that's my basic understanding of the options out there. not cheap at all when you add in all the coding required. someone please correct me if i am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #1048
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post

Brand new at Tisher is about $3200 without the console. Combox is $425 without connector.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #1049
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Brand new at Tisher is about $3200 without the console. Combox is $425 without connector.
Do you have the part numbers?

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #1050
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Do you have the part numbers?
Are we really this lazy today? Just call them up...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #1051
flowmaster
Rep
Drives: e60

What I don't understand is, why are people charging that much for just importing FSC for people who upgrade their CCC with a CIC system.

As far as I understand, the FSC for the CCC once released by BMW for a VIN is the same the CIC would need to operate propperly.

So if you get the FSC (Repair FSC Code) for free because you already had a CCC and it was activated, what is the point that makes enabling Navigation that expensive?

The knowledge how to export it from CCC to import it to the CIC?

As far as I know BMW does not charge anything, if you aready have an activated device (navigation professionell)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #1052
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
It's not the same FSC code used in the CCC. CiC uses a different software index in the FSC code than the CCC.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #1053
flowmaster
Rep
Drives: e60

What I mean is there is only one FSC to enable Navigation. They are the same for CCC and CIC
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:14 AM   #1054
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmaster View Post
What I mean is there is only one FSC to enable Navigation. They are the same for CCC and CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmaster View Post
Everything you say is wrong.

The CCC does not need any FSC for the Navigation, the Voice Control FSC codes for the CIC and CCC are different, the FSC codes are not free if you are retrofitting the CIC, there is more than just one code to enable CIC Navigation and BMW will not import the FSC codes to a used CIC or even to a new one if the car does not have the CIC from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #1055
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Just an FYI...

Retrofitted CIC almost a year ago thanks to Patryk!!

Had my car in for the fuel pump recall and they reprogrammed my whole car with no issues at all. My CIC got updated to the current version which I'm very happy about (no more shopping cart bug).

Couldn't be happier!!

Thanks Patryk!!!!

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #1056
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Ummmm... so only MY2009+ non-iDrive can accept the CIC retrofit without dealer coding issues. That's great to know.

My MY2008 could not... it showed an error with the controller, the display and the CIC and aborted the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Just an FYI...

Retrofitted CIC almost a year ago thanks to Patryk!!

Had my car in for the fuel pump recall and they reprogrammed my whole car with no issues at all. My CIC got updated to the current version which I'm very happy about (no more shopping cart bug).

Couldn't be happier!!

Thanks Patryk!!!!

-Rich
Appreciate 0