E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > e90 lci inner tail light on trunk are led or bulbs?

01-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #23
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deon View Post
The dash warning light did alert me...or I might never have known
Well i never got a warning on the dash that a bulb has gone, best part is that its working perfect now by itself

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #24
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

update, today when i used the trunk to load some stuff again the tail light went off for a while & came back on by itself, best part is when its off i get no bulb warning on the dash
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #25
Deon
Rep
Drives: 2005 320i steptronic

Update here too...

Over the past few days the rear electrical systems on the car started behaving very strangely, reverse lights died, PDC came on while moving forward and bootlight flickered on and off. The electric bootlock failed and I had to use the key to open it.

So...last night I had some time and started checking out the wiring.
Turns out that the flexible rubber shroud between the car body and the bootlid seems to be the problem. I removed the cover on the inside of the bootlid to gain access to the wiring, then carefully loosened all the anchors holding the wiring loom in place to gain some free play on the bottom where the loom exits the bootlid.
Next I loosened the rubber shroud and moved it up to expose the wires inside.

Guess what I saw... 4 of the wires broken clean off and 3 with damaged insulation and cores. Its only a miracle that none of them shorted out and blew fuses. I repaired them by soldering each one and then re-insulated it.
Needless to say all the gremlins are now gone.

My conclusion is that the flexible piece has a design fault in that the bend is too acute causing the wires over time to snap off.

See also this thread - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=397245
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #26
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deon View Post
Update here too...

Over the past few days the rear electrical systems on the car started behaving very strangely, reverse lights died, PDC came on while moving forward and bootlight flickered on and off. The electric bootlock failed and I had to use the key to open it.

So...last night I had some time and started checking out the wiring.
Turns out that the flexible rubber shroud between the car body and the bootlid seems to be the problem. I removed the cover on the inside of the bootlid to gain access to the wiring, then carefully loosened all the anchors holding the wiring loom in place to gain some free play on the bottom where the loom exits the bootlid.
Next I loosened the rubber shroud and moved it up to expose the wires inside.

Guess what I saw... 4 of the wires broken clean off and 3 with damaged insulation and cores. Its only a miracle that none of them shorted out and blew fuses. I repaired them by soldering each one and then re-insulated it.
Needless to say all the gremlins are now gone.

My conclusion is that the flexible piece has a design fault in that the bend is too acute causing the wires over time to snap off.

See also this thread - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=397245
Thanks for the info will tell the dealer to look at it when i give the car to him.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #27
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

update,
gave the car to the dealer now the inner tail light seems to be fine, they said it was a loose connection so far its working fine.

Thanks for the input guys..
Appreciate 0