E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Totally paranoid question about bottoming out.

02-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
ViperJPB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Totally paranoid question about bottoming out.

Ok I'm completely paranoid and OCD about my car, being my first BMW. I pulled out of a parking lot a little too fast, not thinking, and heard the lovely subtle scraping noise. I checked under the bumper with a flashlight and discovered a few scratches and tearing about half an inch in length over a 3-4 inch area just on the front edge underneath the lip of the bumper on the left side wear it scraped the pavement. There doesn't appear to be any other damage on the front side of the bumper, primarily the scratches right under the front lip and not visible unless you look under. Other than the sucky scrapes, is it possible that I damaged or mis-aligned anything (bumper alignment, headlight assembly, or xenon lamp, etc..) ? Plus any thoughts on how to take care of the torn plastic scrapes? I plan to eventually put some splitters on and that would hide it I suppose. Thanks

2009 E90 335i 6AT / Procede / Vishnu DCI / Space Gray / Oyster Dakota Leather / Light Burl Walnut /
/ Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Pkg / Paddle Shifters / iDrive / Logic 7 / Park Distance / Comfort Access / iPhone Port/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

A "subtle scrape" isn't gonna mess up anything dude. If the scratches aren't visible, don't worry cuz more scratches are on their way. If your bumper is still aligned to your fenders and everything looks fine then don't worry.

As much as I try to avoid scratching my lip, it happens anyway. You can install splitters to hide the scratches, but in the end your splitters will get scratched too. Believe me, you'll get over it. I'll post a pic of the bottom of my lip if it'll make you feel better.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
Just a car, its goona get scratched up no matter..just buy another one. Life is too short to worry about it lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
ViperJPB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Haha if you have a pic that might help. Yeah I'm super, super cautious and have had it almost 2 years now with no scraping. I was majorly distracted and really didn't notice the incline of the street as I pulled out. I suppose if the the scratches are mainly on the bottom there would be less chance of actual alignment damage. I should check the alignment again with the fenders.

2009 E90 335i 6AT / Procede / Vishnu DCI / Space Gray / Oyster Dakota Leather / Light Burl Walnut /
/ Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Pkg / Paddle Shifters / iDrive / Logic 7 / Park Distance / Comfort Access / iPhone Port/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
ViperJPB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee212 View Post
Just a car, its goona get scratched up no matter..just buy another one. Life is too short to worry about it lol.
Buy another...haha...nice...think I would buy a new bumper first. But yeah I hear ya.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
BimmerRob
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F36 435i xDrive

I bottomed out in the santa monica mall parking garage so hard that my tow-eye cap flew off and hit the car behind me. believe me, you're fine. scratches do suck, but you should try for a clear bra if you're that anal.

2010 e92 Mojave Metallic - farewell old friend /2013
2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe Sparkling Brown | Cocaine White interior | JB4 | BMS Intake | Wagner Intercooler Evo I | VRSF Downpipes | ER Chargepipes
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92hobear;884590[B
I bottomed out in the santa monica mall parking garage so hard that my tow-eye cap flew off and hit the car behind me. believe me, you're fine. scratches do suck, but you should try for a clear bra if you're that anal.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
ViperJPB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92hobear View Post

Awesome. Thanks for the peace of mind. Definitely didn't hit that hard. Just re-checked the bumper alignment to the fender and I don't think it's any different than before. Thanks again everyone for the placating, appreciate it. I'm good now, hopefully splitters are wide enough to cover the little bit I see that sneaks around the front of the lip. Thanks again.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
KLin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Monaco Blue 335i

I have a question that's kinda related. When I bought my car used, I noticed that the bottom half of the front bumper had been repainted. Now 5000 miles later, the clear is peeling by the vertical supports. Would it be ok to just cover it up with a lip or would I regret not getting it resprayed first?
      02-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLin View Post
I have a question that's kinda related. When I bought my car used, I noticed that the bottom half of the front bumper had been repainted. Now 5000 miles later, the clear is peeling by the vertical supports. Would it be ok to just cover it up with a lip or would I regret not getting it resprayed first?
Just cover it up until the whole thing needs a spray.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
KLin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Monaco Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
Just cover it up until the whole thing needs a spray.
Cool, exactly what I was wanting to hear.
      02-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

This happens to everyone. No matter how hard you try, you're probably going to end up bottoming out on something! Just ignore it, it's no biggy. I covered mine up with some paint, but that doesn't really make it look much better. Fortunately, no one can see these things unless they get on all fours and look under the car. Everyone probably has them - consider it your entrance fee into the BMW drivers club! lol
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #13
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothin right now

The bottom of my bumper is scraped. I don't think about it, nor can I see it.

Life is too short to think about it too much Also my first nice car.
      02-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Gerald Fabricatore
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Tasman Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJPB View Post
Ok I'm completely paranoid and OCD about my car, being my first BMW. I pulled out of a parking lot a little too fast, not thinking, and heard the lovely subtle scraping noise. I checked under the bumper with a flashlight and discovered a few scratches and tearing about half an inch in length over a 3-4 inch area just on the front edge underneath the lip of the bumper on the left side wear it scraped the pavement. There doesn't appear to be any other damage on the front side of the bumper, primarily the scratches right under the front lip and not visible unless you look under. Other than the sucky scrapes, is it possible that I damaged or mis-aligned anything (bumper alignment, headlight assembly, or xenon lamp, etc..) ? Plus any thoughts on how to take care of the torn plastic scrapes? I plan to eventually put some splitters on and that would hide it I suppose. Thanks
Don't worry about about it. Nobody but you will see the scraps. I pulled my new car from the dealership into my garage and scraped it on the front raised floor (my Accord would clear). Just a word of caution. Watch out for those stops in parking lots with the spikes sticking up.
Appreciate 0