E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Check Out CurbAlert Pro Mini to Protect Your $$ Front End Parts!

08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Thumbs up Check Out CurbAlert Pro Mini to Protect Your $$ Front End Parts!

I recently watched an episode of Motorweek where Pat Gauss did a review of a New product called CurbAlert.

Link to show (scroll to 13:08 on timeline for CurbAlert portion):

http://video.pbs.org/video/2235141188/

This is a sensor system that mounts unobtrusively under your bumper @ front of car, senses when you are close to a low obstruction (such as curb or high speed bump), then alerts you with a tone.

This is particularly useful to protect front spoilers/splitters (especially on lowered cars) from damage when hitting curbs.

Since I just purchased a new OEM Aero Lip + CF Splitter for underneath, I decided to look into the product to protect all those expensive front end parts from my making a stupid mistake

Originally I checked out the product on the CurbAlert site, then when I did a google of 'BMW CurbAlert' - I found a link to a company that sells the system custom wired for BMW with the piggyback fuse holder tap already installed (see pics below) - price was lower than other sites even with the added custom wiring (unit is currently on sale for $159.99).

Company is SouthernCarParts http://www.southerncarparts.com/curb-alert-p-3474.html out of Georgia.

Their site has excellent description + a couple very good videos that detail the install & calibration specifically on a BMW 3 series
  • Purchased the CurbAlert Pro Mini (see pics), shipping was immediate and it arrived quickly. Sensor unit is very small and not noticeable when installed as I did (center of car, front, under bumper lip above center grill). Install was not difficult at all - hardest part was using a coat hanger to pull the sensor wires thru the engine bay and into the interior.
  • I mounted the Control Unit behind the glovebox in fuse area, used Slot #7 (Hot on Ignition ON only) to insert the piggyback fuse holder tap & the Ground went under the large screw in fusebox area.
  • Warning Alarm Unit was mounted under dash, PS, up close to console, on the removeable panel that attaches under dash. Alarm Unit has a High/Low/Off setting.
  • Once it came time to calibrate the unit, I found the calibration instructions that came with the unit from Mfg. to be sorta vague. I was having trouble getting unit to calibrate at the 4" height at the ditance I chose.
  • Contacted SouthernCarParts by email - had a reply from Jim Vose within a short time with link to his most excellent calibration video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJxg0...ature=youtu.be

After viewing the video, I found the calibration to be foolproof as he states, & sucessfully calibrated my unit for a Distance of 20" to detect a Curb Height of Min 4"
  • While driving 2 days now, I have had absolutely zero false alerts, and the unit warned me faithfully of curbs once I was within the 20" distance with a 'triple beep'

Anyone that wants to make sure that there is no damage to expensive front end spoilers should check this out - in fact, I'm prolly going to order another for my T/A...

Now on to the pics:

** Note Small Size of components - especially Sensor:

BMW Specific Piggyback Fuse Holder Tap Pre-Installed:

Sensor Installed - Only Way to See this is to Lay on Ground in Front of Car:

F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 08-21-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

I've always liked these:

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Nice

I don't think my NA 328 could haul all that weight around though...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
LOVE330
Registered
Rep
Drives: Corvette C5

Smile CURB Alert

Looks great! Can you advise how you fastened the sensor to the grillwork?

Thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Actually, it doesnt attach to grill mounting bracket uses 3m dbl sided tape you mount it to the bumper ledge that is directly under where a front plate would be and in front of the grill
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
LOVE330
Registered
Rep
Drives: Corvette C5

Smile Curb Alert

Thanks for the info on Curb Alert! I ordered one from www.curb-alert.com . It works great!

Last edited by LOVE330; 09-15-2012 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: incorrect spelling
Appreciate 0