E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Any good barbecue'ers out there

07-31-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Any good barbecue'ers out there

Like most men i pride myself on my barbecues and fly the flag for real coals and not gas. Over the years I have perfected the art of it and if I say so myself can do a decent job of it.

However, I have recently bought a new BBQ and plunged for a webber, which I had been told were good bits of kit and would last. i have to say that I am very pleased with the thing but I am now burning everything. The problem is as soon at the fat drips on to the coals a roaring flame seems to cyclone around the bowl and fucking burn things.

I have never had this issue with any other BBQ I have owned, just wondering if this is an issue with a kettle designed BBQ
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Webber barbecues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
Like most men i pride myself on my barbecues and fly the flag for real coals and not gas. Over the years I have perfected the art of it and if I say so myself can do a decent job of it.

However, I have recently bought a new BBQ and plunged for a webber, which I had been told were good bits of kit and would last. i have to say that I am very pleased with the thing but I am now burning everything. The problem is as soon at the fat drips on to the coals a roaring flame seems to cyclone around the bowl and fucking burn things.

I have never had this issue with any other BBQ I have owned, just wondering if this is an issue with a kettle designed BBQ

Are designed to cook with the lid closed

To get everything going, make a pyramid of briquettes and wait until they are all glowing before spreading them out evenly into a single briquette deep layer. Close the lid for a couple of minutes so that the limited Oxygen slows the charcoal's rate of combustion. After a couple of minutes, place your meat on the grill, close the lid and leave for 5 or so minutes. After 5 minutes, turn the meat and cook for another 5. After that its down to how well cooked you want everything.
A Webber only works with the lid closed
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Are designed to cook with the lid closed

To get everything going, make a pyramid of briquettes and wait until they are all glowing before spreading them out evenly into a single briquette deep layer. Close the lid for a couple of minutes so that the limited Oxygen slows the charcoal's rate of combustion. After a couple of minutes, place your meat on the grill, close the lid and leave for 5 or so minutes. After 5 minutes, turn the meat and cook for another 5. After that its down to how well cooked you want everything.
A Webber only works with the lid closed
As Steve says however you must wait for all the briquettes to go white.

As he says, keep the lid on. This keeps the heat in and thus cooks the food through quicker.

Finally, you just need to practice. Done right, a Webber will cook a lot quicker and more evenly because the heat is being kept in. You just need to have a BBQ every weekend until you get the hang of it.
      07-31-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

as above...

..plus, the webber lets you regulate the amount of air that the bbq needs. This means you can slow dow the fire and cook though the food rather than burning it.

A quater opening on the bottom vents and half on the lid vent is a good place to start once your fire has reached temperature.
      07-31-2011, 05:38 AM   #5
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

Bloo*y hell....I'll make sure not to invite any of you around for a BBQ!! Mine is a cheapy £100 from Makro and yeah I burn things to a crisp. That much my gf takes control of the bbq'ing..
      07-31-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikoV View Post
Bloo*y hell....I'll make sure not to invite any of you around for a BBQ!! Mine is a cheapy £100 from Makro and yeah I burn things to a crisp. That much my gf takes control of the bbq'ing..
yeah i allways thought i little bit of black added to the taste , least you knows its cooked lol
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
i allways thought i little bit of black added to the taste
That statement right there WILL come back to haunt you
      07-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
That statement right there WILL come back to haunt you
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
mobileadam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport

Also read the guides online as certain meats shouldn't be cooked over the coals. For example on my webber I put the coals in the little sections to the left and right under the grill flaps and then put sausages in the middle with no coals underneath. 25 minutes later and sausages are done with only occasional turning. For simple chicken kebabs / burgers and stuff I cook over the coals and rarely have problems. In general I put stuff on, close the lid and return 10 mins or so to check and turn.

Never messed with the air flow stuff though. Will try that next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
Swiller
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

yeah, cook over an indirect heat. i do ribs and leave em cooking for about 4 hours.
Coals on the left, ribs on the right. Positioning your food and coals is the way to stop burning and let the coals go white.
Check out the bbq pitboys on youtube for all bbq tips.
Man thad is geeewwwwd..

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

You bunch of nancys. It's not a BBQ unless you've got black bits in your teeth or the next day you can shit through the eye of a needle because those chicken thighs are trying to kill you.
Appreciate 0