E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E91 has Electrical Issues

02-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
dru1692g
Rep
Drives: 2006 325XI Touring

E91 has Electrical Issues

Hi,

So I am having some weird electrical issues with my E91. It has about 120k miles on it and its having some weird electrical issues. I’m typing all this on my phone so bear with me on typos and grammar stuff... So first time I noticed an issue was when the left angel eye went out. Then the right angel eye went out and the left one came back on. Then I started hearing some weird popping coming from the right rear speaker. Then the popping sound moved to my front speakers. Then the radio/Bluetooth stopped playing audio and the radio can’t seem to find a station. Now there is a weird winding noise that randomly comes from behind the steering wheel. All of these issues seem to intensify the faster I drive and when I hit bumps. When the car is still none of these issues are present except for when the angel eyes were not working and now with the radio. Thanks for any assistance you can offer. I am interesting to hear you guy’s theories. I think one or more of the Control modules is malfunctioning.

Thanks,

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

First step is to check all your lower and ground cables. Start with the ones at your battery and make sure they are not loose. Then move to under the hood and look at the passenger side ground block location. Make sure that screw/nut is tight. Check on the drivers side for the same. Then check your ground strap to your engine near the steering rack. All should be rust free and corrosion free.
      02-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep

This is a ground block location btw. Passenger side , 2" long , hex nut.
Attached Images

02-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

How new is your battery (original=time for new one)

Low voltage can cause all kind of electrical gremlins
in these cars. Also check the output of the alternator.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
dru1692g
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post

Thanks for the picture and the information. I will take a look at it when I get home this evening.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
dru1692g
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Low voltage can cause all kind of electrical gremlins
in these cars. Also check the output of the alternator.
My battery was replaced shortly after I purchased it two years ago. I will check the battery voltage and the alternator.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
dru1692g
Rep

Quote:
So I took a look under the hood and it appears that the ground cable that attaches to the hex nut is not there.

See attached photo for what I am seeing. Where does the ground cable start? In the first picture that was posted it appears to come around the strut tower mount and down to the Hex nut. Is this cable in the same position on all e90/e91 models?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep

Hi, sorry for misleading you a bit . That wire that is missing is from a CTEK battery charger install. The hex nut location houses the ground wires in the black plastic. It contains grounds for the harness that can include the ground for the headlight issue you were describing . Electrical gremlins always show up when: the battery is low or discharged, when the alternator is on its way out, when grounding locations become rusted or have corrosion that prevents a good ground plane.
I would remove it and use green scrub pad or abrasive to give it a nice connection. I would also recommend doing that at the battery location as well as it doesn't hurt to confirm good tight fitting terminals as well as clean terminals . If you had any work done lately I would focus in those areas to see if something was removed or loose. I think the amp for the speaker is in the trunk floor area. (Check those wires) I really can't think of anything else to be honest.
      02-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

When you had the new battery installed 2 years ago did they register it? If not it might not be charging correctly. One way to rule out the battery would be to put a trickle charger on it for 24 hours, then see if your ailments go away. If they do, they may come back, but it is your battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

This could be a solution to your radio problem

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928522
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #11
dru1692g
Rep

Quote:
Hi, sorry for misleading you a bit . That wire that is missing is from a CTEK battery charger install. The hex nut location houses the ground wires in the black plastic. It contains grounds for the harness that can include the ground for the headlight issue you were describing . Electrical gremlins always show up when: the battery is low or discharged, when the alternator is on its way out, when grounding locations become rusted or have corrosion that prevents a good ground plane.
I would remove it and use green scrub pad or abrasive to give it a nice connection. I would also recommend doing that at the battery location as well as it doesn't hurt to confirm good tight fitting terminals as well as clean terminals . If you had any work done lately I would focus in those areas to see if something was removed or loose. I think the amp for the speaker is in the trunk floor area. (Check those wires) I really can't think of anything else to be honest.
Thanks so much for the clarification. I will take a look at it this evening.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
dru1692g
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
When you had the new battery installed 2 years ago did they register it? If not it might not be charging correctly. One way to rule out the battery would be to put a trickle charger on it for 24 hours, then see if your ailments go away. If they do, they may come back, but it is your battery.
It was replaced at the dealership and for as much as they charged to install a new battery I sure hope they did everything they were suppose to do. But this is worth looking into. I will look in to this as a possible issue.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
dru1692g
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slupie View Post
This could be a solution to your radio problem

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928522
I might have to leave this one for the tech to check into. I don't feel comfortable cutting cables and making those type of changes just yet. But I will read more deeply into this when I get home tonight.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0