E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Espresso

09-20-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Espresso

I've just bought myself one of these:

I've been after a new espresso machine for a while. My old one was a cheapo fully manual one (but with a decent pump). I used to be able to make quite decent espresso, but more recently it had started to be hard to get a decent crema - so I binned it and looked for something new.

I was going to get a decent quality unit from Gaggia or similar, but ended up going for this nespresso thing. I was extremely doubtful because I hate nescafe and the diabolical stuff they sell as 'coffee'.

But it's actually really great, no grinding, spilt coffee or tamping and hardly any washing up. It also has an automatic milk foamer for cappucino (little tube into milk and a jet of foam from the nozzle like you get on super auto machines.

Any one else into espresso or own a nespresso machine?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325i titanium silver spk

I also have an automatic espresso machine. I use to have a manual machine but I got fed up. I have the Saeco Incanto, so far so good. The only complaint I have is the froth doersn't come out so good. I still think manual machines are better than automatic. I drink a lot of coffee so I need something fast.

With any espresso machine the coffee beans make the difference.
      09-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
Can you use your own espresso or do you have to use their coffee modules?
You are tied to nespresso - that's why I really wasn't sure - I hate nescafe so much and in the bast have tried to buy good quality coffee.

www.nespresso.com

The thing is the coffee grounds are foil wrapped so it's ultra fresh and the tamping / water temp / pressure are always exactly right.

I have to admit that the crema is much better than anything I managed to produce myself and there's quite a range of pods on offer.

It feels like cheating - but I reckon I'll use it much more often than a proper machine.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
06330i
fresher den you
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2004 x3

Garage List
2006 E90, 330i  [0.00]
i have a gaggia i loveee it!
      09-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nescafe? Are you refering to the instant coffee swill that we use to kill weeds here in the U.S.?
I wouldn't call nescafe 'coffee', but it will certainly kill weeds and probably strip paint as well.

That's the issue ..... I can't believe I just bought an espresso machine that only takes coffee made my nescafe

But the stuff in the nespresso coffee is genuine high grade arabica and it tastes great.

Like I said the crema is way beyond anything I could manage.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I have a Saeco Vspresso - brilliant

www.wholelattelove.com
      09-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Let me know how it works out. I'm in the market for a new machine myself. My Starbucks habit is worse than a crack habit.

Are the nespresso modules available at your local market or do you have to order them?

I thought all of you Brits were a bunch of double-cream and jam , scone eating, tea sippers. Is coffee increasing in popularity over there?
You have to mail order the capsules - they are about 20p each - I just sent off for 200 at around £40

We do like out tea and scones over here - but since we found out that coffee doesn't have to be instant, we have sort of embraced it. I'm a big fan of italian food / drink and was bitten by the espresso bug about 10 years ago.

In fact espresso helped me give up smoking by replacing that cigar you long to have after a really nice meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper
I have a Saeco Vspresso - brilliant

www.wholelattelove.com
That looks great. I was really after a superautomatic like that, but a good one is aroound £400 quid here. The nespresso job was just £180, but gives a similar level of convenience.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The best automatic espesso machines are Juras. The reason I didn't get the Jura was because of it's price, way to expensive. Saeco are pretty good, like I mentioned earlier I'm a disapointed with the froth to make the cappucino. If you like a short espresso the machine does a good job. But then again, you could have the best machine in the world if the coffee beans are not good the coffee wont be good.
      09-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06330i
i have a gaggia i loveee it!
The automatic Gaggia machines are not so great.
The manual Gaggia are by far the best for home use.
      09-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F31 330d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
I've just bought myself one of these:

Any one else into espresso or own a nespresso machine?
I have the exact same machine in my office, I absolutely love it! Very solid.

If you are a espresso drinker and don't care much about larger coffee or cappucino, this is the way to go.

Never tasted better espresso than the nespresso 'arpeggio' (purple capsule). It has a perfect, thick crema on top, like most of the nespresso blends have.
Second best imo is the strongest blend, the black 'ristretto'.

The women in my office prefer the lighter 'voluto'. I don't like the lighter versions that much.

But anyway, make sure to use filtered water!

A friend of mine has a automatic nespresso machine made by saeco. Thats the best, but expensive.

@ juve29: I had two juras at home, here's my recent:

Good coffee, but the machines are total crap. Very poor engineering. Always worked up after 600 - 1000 cups.
After I figured out how to maintain the brew-unit myself, it's okay.

Here's a pretty helpful site:

http://www.kuntze-online.de/E/index.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #11
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
I have the exact same machine in my office, I absolutely love it! Very solid.

If you are a espresso drinker and don't care much about larger coffee or cappucino, this is the way to go.

Never tasted better espresso than the nespresso 'arpeggio' (purple capsule). It has a perfect, thick crema on top, like most of the nespresso blends have.
Second best imo is the strongest blend, the black 'ristretto'.

The women in my office prefer the lighter 'voluto'. I don't like the lighter versions that much.

But anyway, make sure to use filtered water!
I'm lucky enough to live in an area with fairly soft water, so bottled water is not a necessity.

Great machine though - I'm sipping a cappucino made with their 'special club' coffee - very nice.

The ristretto is nice - just ordered 50 of those - but I haven't tried the purple one yet.

I think the milk frother is actually really good. I have the one with the little tube that you stick in the milk jug and it spurts froth out the other end - like with an auto machine - nice.

What I like is the fact that it is basically self cleaning - just rinse through and wipe down before and after use. So I've already cleaned it out before I've even drunk my coffee.

My only problem / question is that the machines instructions recommend pouring the milk froth first then adding the espresso - which seems the wrong way to me for two reasons:

1. The milk frothing needs a higher temp so you need to wait for the machine to cool before pulling the espresso.

2. If you do as they suggest and pull the espresso straight into the cup, you can't tell when to stop. So to get a good 'measure' I end up pulling it into an espresso cup, then tipping that into the cappucino one.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just do the espresso first then add the hot mile - as they do in starbucks etc...?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

ppl: suggest me a cappucino/espresso machine i want to install in our teacher's lounges...

and what do people prefer, cappucinos or espressos or what
something that is affordable and the packets are not too expensive but tastes good and is good enough for a workplace.

E90 Mods (work in progress): Euro Xenon Headlamps, 19" ASA AR-1's with Toyo T1R 235 fronts and 275 rears, Breyton style front spoiler, Breyton style rear spoiler, Huper Optik 40% Tint, TiAG with Black 'ette and Aluminum trim, Chrome grills, chrome exhaust, Hartge lowering springs, PMB Hyperwhites.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #13
gilbertb11
Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I actually just bought one about a month ago.. The Nespresso D290. Really nice although just a bit noisy but effective..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #14
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

i have the rancilio, best home espresso machine i have ever had.. its expensive though....
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
(...) but I haven't tried the purple one yet.
Must do, trust me on that!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #16
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Must do, trust me on that!
I'll try it tomorrow with breakfast
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2006, 01:03 AM   #17
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll try it tomorrow with breakfast
Well, how was the breakfast?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2006, 02:51 AM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, how was the breakfast?
Very nice - I had the purple one too - 'arpeggio' - very smooth.

I usually have sugar in espresso / cappucino, but there was very little bitterness and I could almost drink it without.

I already ordered a load of (50 each) decaf intenso (for the wife), ristretto (for me) and special club (for me) and (I must be psychic) arpeggio.

I think I must have opted for the arpeggio based just on the description.

They arrived yesterday - the day after I placed the order on the net - great service.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2006, 03:00 AM   #19
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Very nice - I had the purple one too - 'arpeggio' - very smooth.

I usually have sugar in espresso / cappucino, but there was very little bitterness and I could almost drink it without.

I already ordered a load of (50 each) decaf intenso (for the wife), ristretto (for me) and special club (for me) and (I must be psychic) arpeggio.

I think I must have opted for the arpeggio based just on the description.

They arrived yesterday - the day after I placed the order on the net - great service.
I'm pleased you liked it. I prefer the 'rounder', less bitter/sour blends. Arpeggio is perfect for me.

The shipping is unbelievably fast! I've ordered over the internet about 4 pm once and got it the following day!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2006, 04:05 AM   #20
blke90man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i Sport Line

I have The KitchenAid Pro-line series and I love it.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/pr...?productId=456
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2006, 04:12 AM   #21
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blke90man
I have The KitchenAid Pro-line series and I love it.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/pr...?productId=456
That looks like a rock solid piece of machine! Very nice!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 06:17 AM   #22
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Ok guys, boring day at the office, so I made some Nespresso!

As usual, one capsule of 'Arpeggio', one pull on the lever and voila:
Perfect Espresso with awesome crema!

Here are some mouthwatering pics for you:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0