E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > clutch pedal not coming up all the way

09-13-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
JJBA223
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

clutch pedal not coming up all the way

So when i press the clutch petal in to shift gears, everything is fine. Shifts smooth. Its got a new clutch kit oem bmw i was told by dealer i biught from. When i left of the pedal my ckutch engages fine but my clutch pedal sits only just above the engagement point. I have to tske my foot and pull it up all the way to the top and it will stay up there. But unless i pull it up, it just stays there in this "middle position"
Is this a master cylinder problem? Or clutch pedal assembly problem?
I am concerned my clutch isnt fulky engaging which would explain why the previous owner needed to replace the clutch at 60k. And this might explain why my car is at 3000rpm at 80mph

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

bleed the system maybe? Could also be a pressure plate issue...
      09-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

This happens when there is air in the system. When I installed the ported CDV from BMS, I didn't clamp the clutch line so I got a lot of air in it. I had to bleed it for a while to get it so my clutch would come all the way up. Its not hard, but if you use the bleeder valve and not an actual brake bleeder, you need two people. Also, check the fluid reservoir. The reservoir is partitioned and apparently the clutch system pulls from the very top of the reservoir while the brake system pulls from the bottom. Just get some DOT 4 fluid, bleed it and add a little fluid and see where that gets you. May as well check off an easy DIY fix before sending the car to someone and paying hundreds of dollars.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
JJBA223
Lieutenant
Rep

Thats what i figured. Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
C.Pop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
This happens when there is air in the system. When I installed the ported CDV from BMS, I didn't clamp the clutch line so I got a lot of air in it. I had to bleed it for a while to get it so my clutch would come all the way up. Its not hard, but if you use the bleeder valve and not an actual brake bleeder, you need two people. Also, check the fluid reservoir. The reservoir is partitioned and apparently the clutch system pulls from the very top of the reservoir while the brake system pulls from the bottom. Just get some DOT 4 fluid, bleed it and add a little fluid and see where that gets you. May as well check off an easy DIY fix before sending the car to someone and paying hundreds of dollars.
Good post.
      09-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
pwilde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6spd

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
After doing a lot of clutch bleeding on this vehicle, I have found you may run into an issue with bleeding in the traditional manner. I had to reverse bleed mine (fill with fluid from the bleeder up into the reservoir using an oil can i got for 5$ and some spare vacuum hose to attach to the bleeder nipple and nozzle) do to to the design up towards the reservoir in the master that allows for small pockets of air to get trapped no matter how much time and effort you spend.

learned this one the hard way
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
JJBA223
Lieutenant
Rep

I live in an appartment cimplex with a very very strick "no working on vehicles" policy. I got yelled at for pouring wiper fluid into the vehicle. So ill probably have to pay to get this done. But its going in for new tires, rotors and alignment anyways
Appreciate 0