E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

10-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #353
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadoogar View Post
Wow... thanks so much DavidN! I think I'm going to order the Mothers California Gold Car Wash and Mothers tire brush from Amazon (I'm in the U.S.) and the towels / mitts from Detailed Image.

One quick question on drying... For drying the paint, I am going to get the Detailed Image Waffle Weave MF towels. But what type of towels do you use to dry the rims and glass?

Detailed Image has
1. UltraPlush MF towels (2 sided, 16 x 16)
2. All Purpose MF towels (16 x 16) - Is this better than using terry towels on rims?

Also, what do you use to wipe down the interior?
For rims you can use the same type of waffle weave towels as you use on the paint. Same goes for glass. Same also goes for the interior. The only caveat is that you may want to segregate them and use the same towels on each part of the car. So if possible, try buying different colour MF's and dedicate each colour to its own part of the car (paint, rims, glass, interior.).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #354
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepayy_91 View Post
My 3 will thank you after the next detail session. Thanks for the extra info. I'll add some pics when i put all this info into motion
My pleasure. Looking forward to the pictures!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #355
mitmoht
Not new member anymore, couple months-old member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive

David, don't know why i cant find PC at CT (Mississaiga/ Toronto area). Any other retailers that u know of? Also in winter when using the no-touch car washes, whar do u think of the water spray waxes especially in u are using Zaino system? Advice is appreciated. Thanks.
      10-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #356
EmjayDavis
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

This Is Amazing, Thank You So Much!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #357
N54CoupeHP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Garage List
2012 335is  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
For rims you can use the same type of waffle weave towels as you use on the paint. Same goes for glass. Same also goes for the interior. The only caveat is that you may want to segregate them and use the same towels on each part of the car. So if possible, try buying different colour MF's and dedicate each colour to its own part of the car (paint, rims, glass, interior.).
What about when you wash them? Do you wash them separately too?
TOOK DELIVERY 24 OCT 2011 [FIRST PICS] [INTERIOR PICS]
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #358
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Hello, have a gash/ scratch now area is dull on gloss black grill? Any ideas to renew?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #359
ejj
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i

DavidN - Great writeup!

Do you treat painted plastic (bumpers) the same as the rest of the car? I seem to remember (long, long ago) that certain products recommended not applying them to plastic parts of the exterior...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #360
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmoht View Post
David, don't know why i cant find PC at CT (Mississaiga/ Toronto area). Any other retailers that u know of? Also in winter when using the no-touch car washes, whar do u think of the water spray waxes especially in u are using Zaino system? Advice is appreciated. Thanks.
I've seen it at a couple of CT's in my area. With that said you can also buy it online from eshine.ca. Great company to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmjayDavis View Post
This Is Amazing, Thank You So Much!
Glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54CoupeHP View Post
What about when you wash them? Do you wash them separately too?
I don't only because I don't have enough towels. I wash them all together in extra hot water in the extended cycle just to get them nice and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
Hello, have a gash/ scratch now area is dull on gloss black grill? Any ideas to renew?
That I am not sure about. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejj View Post
DavidN - Great writeup!

Do you treat painted plastic (bumpers) the same as the rest of the car? I seem to remember (long, long ago) that certain products recommended not applying them to plastic parts of the exterior...

Thanks!
If the bumper is painted with the same paint as the rest of the panels on the car, then feel free to wash, clay, polish, and seal as you would the rest of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #361
ejj
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i

Is there a benefit to applying sealant with a PC rather than by hand?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #362
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 VW GTI

Quote:
It's quicker and there is a better chance to apply the sealant thinner than doing it by hand, but mostly because it's quicker. Just be sure to use the proper pad.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #363
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In my experience, no real benefit. I can actually do it quicker by hand and use less product. I hate dragging out the machine unless I absolutely have to.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #364
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

what can i use to remove dry compound? i have some on my unpainted performance diffuser (matte plastic) that didn't come off during multiple routine washes and sponge scrubbing. it has been there for a couple of weeks now.

i also have some on the inside crevice of the hood that didn't come off with a sponge and wash either.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #365
robin420
Rep
Drives: e90 320i

i've read all your q&a. but, is this wax good? http://www.facebook.com/notes/In-Che...41705389215523

and can i use it after i use a sealant? or before? thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #366
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin420 View Post
i've read all your q&a. but, is this wax good? http://www.facebook.com/notes/In-Che...41705389215523

I have not used Swissvax so I cannot give an educated opinion on it. However, it is supposed to be a very good wax. I tend to use Chemical Guy's 50/50 wax on my Alpine White BMW.

As for your second question, sealants are to be applied after polish/glaze (optional depending on your paint condition) and before wax. Sealants will not bond to carnauba wax, you should use a soap such as CG Citrus wash and Gloss properally diluted to remove any previous wax, then you can clay your car, that way your sealant can bond to a nice clean surface.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #367
robin420
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryiwasnapping View Post
I have not used Swissvax so I cannot give an educated opinion on it. However, it is supposed to be a very good wax. I tend to use Chemical Guy's 50/50 wax on my Alpine White BMW.

As for your second question, sealants are to be applied after polish/glaze (optional depending on your paint condition) and before wax. Sealants will not bond to carnauba wax, you should use a soap such as CG Citrus wash and Gloss properally diluted to remove any previous wax, then you can clay your car, that way your sealant can bond to a nice clean surface.
oh okay. i get it, so wash first then sealant and then wax between months/whenever i feel like to? and then in 6 months i reapply the sealant?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #368
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
what can i use to remove dry compound? i have some on my unpainted performance diffuser (matte plastic) that didn't come off during multiple routine washes and sponge scrubbing. it has been there for a couple of weeks now.

i also have some on the inside crevice of the hood that didn't come off with a sponge and wash either.
That's a tough one. I don't know to be honest. Maybe someone else has encountered that.

Quote:

Never used Swissvax before. Sorry.

Steps are wash, clay, polish, seal, then wax. If you want to add more sealant after the wax you need to remove the wax first. My advice, just do one or the other, not both. So either seal after polishing and add more sealant as needed, or just wax after polishing and add more wax as needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #369
electricjet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & F25

Garage List
greetings ... may i suggest either meguiars d103 all purpose cleaner or the p21s total auto wash at 100% ... i just had a similar situation and after using both products on 2 different spots i was finally successful in removing some of these pesky compound spots (use a toothbrush or very tiny detailers brush with hard bristles)
... got this tip from one of the kind forum members a while back

hope this helps
      10-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #370
robin420
Rep

so, there's no combination? like polishing-sealant 2 or 3 layers then wax till 6 months? because maybe i misread your qna. i thought i read something about it. sorry
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #371
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
so, there's no combination? like polishing-sealant 2 or 3 layers then wax till 6 months? because maybe i misread your qna. i thought i read something about it. sorry
You can put however many layers of sealant as your heart desires, and then put as many layers of wax after the sealant cures. Most people will tell you that's a huge waste of product. If you use a sealant, waxing every month isn't necessary, since sealants last 3-6 months depending on various conditions; garage kept, daily driver, fallout around your area, etc.. If you were only thinking of using wax afterwards to have that "wet" look, there's a few sealants that provide that look already, or you can just use a quick detailer whenever you want to.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #372
robin420
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post
You can put however many layers of sealant as your heart desires, and then put as many layers of wax after the sealant cures. Most people will tell you that's a huge waste of product. If you use a sealant, waxing every month isn't necessary, since sealants last 3-6 months depending on various conditions; garage kept, daily driver, fallout around your area, etc.. If you were only thinking of using wax afterwards to have that "wet" look, there's a few sealants that provide that look already, or you can just use a quick detailer whenever you want to.
so putting wax on top of sealant is useless? because i live in indonesia which is a tropical country. and my car isnt garage kept and it is daily driven. what product do you recommend for my condition?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #373
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
so putting wax on top of sealant is useless? because i live in indonesia which is a tropical country. and my car isnt garage kept and it is daily driven. what product do you recommend for my condition?
A wax will typically last anywhere from 3-6 weeks depending on conditions. A sealant lasts anywhere from 3-6 months. A sealant is a lot more durable and will protect your car for a longer length of time, and David will agree with that. Since you're in Indonesia, use a sealant. You can even put 2-3 coats if you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #374
robin420
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post
A wax will typically last anywhere from 3-6 weeks depending on conditions. A sealant lasts anywhere from 3-6 months. A sealant is a lot more durable and will protect your car for a longer length of time, and David will agree with that. Since you're in Indonesia, use a sealant. You can even put 2-3 coats if you want.
oooh. okay2. will use sealant. thanks. any recommendation?
Appreciate 0