E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Armed populace

06-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Armed populace

For it or against it?

http://www.ktvu.com/news/13546836/detail.html
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I don't get why you showed this article?

A police officer will obviously be more inclined to be armed even when at home.

I feel the general public should be armed. It is what seperates the people from the government. That's why I would never live in modern countries that do not allow or have very strict gun laws.
      06-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Touchy subject...if you let the populace have concealed weapons then you'd better have a good background check system to weed out the weirdos out there.

I'm for it if that is possible at least most of the time. I'm afraid of drunken rednecks that would carry a concealed weapon...they are crazy enough as it is without permissable concealed weapons.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

I lived in the south for a while. Most "drunken rednecks" carry concealed weapons already.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Because I live in California, where there is a concerted effort underway to disarm law-abiding citizens.

And, because this article could have ended differently if the owner hadn’t been armed.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
Because I live in California, where there is a concerted effort underway to disarm law-abiding citizens.

And, because this article could have ended differently if the owner hadn’t been armed.
This isn't the best article though. Because as mentioned he is a cop so even without a gun it could have possibly ended differently. Due to his training. Now if this was opposite and a cop on a power trip was bustin down someones door and due to the person having a weapon was able to stop any further harm.

But suffice to say, I get your point. To those stating we need really good background checks. Yes I agree. But the people are crazy and gun toting maniacs, usually do not purchase their gun legally.

I hope that does not pass in California though.
      06-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
rs6654
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I'm 100% for concealed carry.

I can't help but think that Seung-Hui Cho would have been stopped long before he killed 32 if Virginia Tech faculty was allowed to carry.

It's one of the reasons I live in Florida.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post

A police officer will obviously be more inclined to be armed even when at home.

I feel the general public should be armed. It is what seperates the people from the government. That's why I would never live in modern countries that do not allow or have very strict gun laws.
+1000
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6654 View Post
I can't help but think that Seung-Hui Cho would have been stopped long before he killed 32 if Virginia Tech faculty was allowed to carry.
Exactly
      06-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I didn't know that you could carry a concealed weapon in Florida...are there any stipulations to be able to do so? Such as a resident of Florida or...some background check - is it a right to by default or a license?

I know here in MD its a huge no-no and especially in DC - without a permit.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
Div4our
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with my right foot down.

Hell, I'm only 17 but I'm all for concealed weapons. Right now we have 9 guns in our house, 3 of which belong to me btw.

I don't think there's anything wrong with arming yourself as long as the shooter of the gun knows how and when to use one.
I'm NOT saying that every nut on this planet should be carrying a concealed weapon, but I AM saying that people should be allowed to if they want.

second amendment anyone?
      06-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
rs6654
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0perat0r View Post
I didn't know that you could carry a concealed weapon in Florida...are there any stipulations to be able to do so? Such as a resident of Florida or...some background check - is it a right to by default or a license?
You can but need a license. If your at least 21 with a clean record it's easy to get. Here are the particulars.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

very interesting...wasn't aware that so many states allow concealed weapons with such a easy process for the permit. In MD I understand that in order to get a concealed weapons permit not only must you meet similar criteria found on that website for the state of florida...but also must have had prior incidences where you were a victim of violent crime - which would be supported by one or more police reports or court records. Basically...nearly impossible for most people to get the permit.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
rs6654
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0perat0r View Post
very interesting...wasn't aware that so many states allow concealed weapons with such a easy process for the permit. In MD I understand that in order to get a concealed weapons permit not only must you meet similar criteria found on that website for the state of florida...but also must have had prior incidences where you were a victim of violent crime - which would be supported by one or more police reports or court records. Basically...nearly impossible for most people to get the permit.
Some other states are like that too. The alarmists say that concealed carry will lead to OK Corral shootouts in the streets. It hasn't happened.

Unless I just had to, I wouldn't live where I can't carry. Florida is a very individual rights and gun freindly state. Which is why the Brady Campaign bunch is having such a fit.

http://www.shootfirstlaw.org/law/
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #15
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

On this subject, I tend to side with the Libertarian ideology.
Appreciate 0