E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 335i n54 cylinder head removal

02-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 MT6spd 4door

2007 335i n54 cylinder head removal

hi,

has anyone in here done a R&R on a head gasket for a 2007 335i n54 motor? or a cylinder head R&R? I have been searching in here for any DIY's but I cant seem to find anything on this? maybe I'm not searching in here correctly?

Also any DIY for Crankshaft sprocket R&R?

any help is greatly appreciated. let the sarcastic answers begin lol.

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

here is updates to my cylinder head R&R
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      05-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
banglenot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xiT

Check newtis: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Process is described, with required steps, warnings and (most convenient) easy access to torque values and patterns. Note this is for mechanics, so a lot of capabilities are assumed.

Put in last 7 VIN for quick access. Take a lot of pics to guide yourself to reassembly

Big job --good luck.

Last edited by banglenot; 05-26-2018 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 01:07 AM   #4
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
Check newtis: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Process is described, with required steps, warnings and (most convenient) easy access to torque values and patterns. Note this is for mechanics, so a lot of capabilities are assumed.

Put in last 7 VIN for quick access. Take a lot of pics to guide yourself to reassembly

Big job --good luck.
Thanks banglenot;23246908 ,

I managed to put it all back together. I changed out a lot of other parts since i was already i there. I've learned a lot on this car. first time doing this job on this car. I use to work for honda as a mechanic. Thank God for these forms and the internet.

changed out crankshaft sprocket, friction plates, timing chain, timing chain guides, front crankshaft seal, head gasket, oil filter housing gasket, serpentine belt and all pulleys, new intake camshaft bearing ledge, along with new camshaft seals for both intake and exhaust, valve cover gasket, exhaust manifold gaskets, new vacuum hoses, added a oil catch can, new water pump hose, timing chain tensioner, and list goes on.
thanks again for info.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
What prompted you to do this?

How did the timing chain tensioner and guides look?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
What prompted you to do this?

How did the timing chain tensioner and guides look?

Hi Mecheng77,

If you click on my name and go to my profile, you can follow the problems i posted with my car. I have a few of them that led me to doing all of this.
To answer you question, The timing guides looked ok, the tensioner is recommended to replace if doing all what I did. So since i changed out my crankshaft sprocket, friction plates, front crankshaft seal and had opened the cars engine up, i decided to change all those other parts since its a 2007 and had 93,000miles on the car. In my other threads you will see all the parts i changed out too.
Hope this helps. hit me up if you have more questions. you can also email me too. have a great day.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 07:06 PM   #7
N55GUY559
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 535i 2009 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoa6 View Post
Hi Mecheng77,

If you click on my name and go to my profile, you can follow the problems i posted with my car. I have a few of them that led me to doing all of this.
To answer you question, The timing guides looked ok, the tensioner is recommended to replace if doing all what I did. So since i changed out my crankshaft sprocket, friction plates, front crankshaft seal and had opened the cars engine up, i decided to change all those other parts since its a 2007 and had 93,000miles on the car. In my other threads you will see all the parts i changed out too.
Hope this helps. hit me up if you have more questions. you can also email me too. have a great day.
Hi I went looking for the info on removing the cylinder head but found no guides, I need to replace my n54 cylinder head due to stripped threads on the injector hold down bracket but also want to install new turbos and was wondering if it's possible to pull them out from the top ? Instead of removing the subfarme I know this thread is old but looking for any advice or help I can get thanks !
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 08:22 AM   #8
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Do not pull a good head to repair stripped injector bracket threads. It is a serious job and you not only need to replace the gasket but all the bolts as well. Plus if you do it you may as well change the cam phasers since you will have to remove them. Also to reinstall them you will need a special tool. So, don't cut down a tree to get an apple. Just find a way to retap that hole or make. A bracket that bolts elsewhere and holds the injector or something. As for the turbos you cannot get them out from the top. It supposedly CAN be done without dropping the subframe but it would be way harder and take longer. Turbos are not "hard" but will take a good amount of time to swap. I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 08:47 AM   #9
N55GUY559
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 535i 2009 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
Do not pull a good head to repair stripped injector bracket threads. It is a serious job and you not only need to replace the gasket but all the bolts as well. Plus if you do it you may as well change the cam phasers since you will have to remove them. Also to reinstall them you will need a special tool. So, don't cut down a tree to get an apple. Just find a way to retap that hole or make. A bracket that bolts elsewhere and holds the injector or something. As for the turbos you cannot get them out from the top. It supposedly CAN be done without dropping the subframe but it would be way harder and take longer. Turbos are not "hard" but will take a good amount of time to swap. I hope this helps.
Hi thanks for the reply but at this point its been a year holding with new threads I made but the mounting point is almost gone after recently cracking down the side of the base so I can't see how ide make another bracket bolt on elsewhere that's why I resorted to replacing the head because my turbos just went out too or atleast one of them so car is running like crap, buy as for the job ide have to pull the head first re-install with new head bolts? Or what bolts will I need to replace ? Then start my turbo swap after the new head is in ? I know it's a huge job but i can't have my engine sitting around with a makeshift job on the cylinder head threads I have the cam locking tool and a good cylinder head on the way to my house already so im doing it ,probably just do the head first and then turbos as two separate jobs I don't see another way around it.

Last edited by N55GUY559; 01-11-2023 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0