E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 100% UNDECIDED about a K&N drop in cone filter.....any thoughts?

View Poll Results: Is it worth making the swap from an OEM paper air filter to a K&N cone air filter?
Yes, go for it! 6 46.15%
No, don't bother. 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

10-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
jb84
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Previously; 2008 E90 M3 DCT

Question 100% UNDECIDED about a K&N drop in cone filter.....any thoughts?

E90 2006 325i - I was planning on replacing my standard paper filter with a K&N drop in cone filter to give the engine a bit more breathability, but having read many many conflicting threads on E90post.com, now I'm not so sure!

What is the general feeling of "yeah go for it, it'll improve performance, sound great and help your engine breathe" versus "don't bother, it's not worth the money, the K&N's will allow more particulates through the filter that will go through the engine and end up in your oil as a mild abrasive"

In all honesty, I'm not fussed about performance gains (an increase in MPG would be nice!) but care more about giving the engine the least restrictive air supply as possible. I quiet like some of the additional sounds from the engine bay that can be associated with a K&N but wouldn't do the swap just for that reason!

Lastly, can the oil from the K&N interfere with the MAF?

PLEASE VOTE!

Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers, JB
      10-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
hugus311
Titanium silver + Sport + Premium
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i (E90)

Save your money. My mpg went down because of recharge oil on mass air flow sensor. Any improvements are placebo effects.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

You probably already have the euro box i would just stick with the paper filter and not worry about it
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Eelesy24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i M Sport Manual

You could always go for the BMW performance filter which to me looks like a k&n filter but you have the peace of mind of the 24 month parts guarantee if you are worried about engine damage.

Mike
2006 E90 325i M Sport SGM, BMW performance kidney grills, M3 lip spoiler, BMW performance air filter, BMW Darkline Rear Lights, H&R sport springs, Backbox delete, 18x8.5 Rota Grid Drifts in Hyper Black
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
jb84
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugus311 View Post
Save your money. My mpg went down because of recharge oil on mass air flow sensor. Any improvements are placebo effects.
I have always wondered how much of a percieved increase is just a placebo effect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
You probably already have the euro box i would just stick with the paper filter and not worry about it
Yeah I have the euro box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelesy24 View Post
You could always go for the BMW performance filter which to me looks like a k&n filter but you have the peace of mind of the 24 month parts guarantee if you are worried about engine damage.

Mike
Hi again Mike Yeah had noticed that the BMW Performance air intake just seems to be a K&N instead of the paper filter, and a carbon fibre cover instead of the original plastic one. Strange.
      10-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Eelesy24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi again Mike Yeah had noticed that the BMW Performance air intake just seems to be a K&N instead of the paper filter, and a carbon fibre cover instead of the original plastic one. Strange.[/QUOTE]

Hello, it seems we want similar things from our 325's

The carbon fibre bit I think has a larger opening to allow more airflow but I don't think that warrants the £700 price tag. The filter however fits the standard airbox, and cost me with my staff discount £50 and I have the knowledge that it is a genuine BMW part.

Mike
2006 E90 325i M Sport SGM, BMW performance kidney grills, M3 lip spoiler, BMW performance air filter, BMW Darkline Rear Lights, H&R sport springs, Backbox delete, 18x8.5 Rota Grid Drifts in Hyper Black
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

I personally like the k&n drop in, I do see improvements in hp (very slightly) but I do also notice a drop in mpg. Imo, I think you should. Don't over oil it or it can drip onto your MAF sensor but other than that, I say its a great upgrade in saving money versus buying a new air filter every 50k or so miles. My filter seems to catch A LOT of debris and none of which I've seen any further in than the filter itself.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
A more "breathable" filter over stock won't do much anyway so I think you should stop stressing. '

In fact, I didn't even remove the charcoal filter (despite being a popular mod here) because BMW stated it could cause rough idle or worse mileage on the s54's.

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthr...54#post2878954
      10-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i SP

I'm not a car engineer or a car mechanic, but I feel like a filter that is less restrictive would improve improve mpg. Which is why a new filter that is not clogged up with gunk yields better mpg.

I can sort of buy into the rough idle aspect of deleting the carbon filter, because it takes a while for the ecu to adapt to the new amount of air it is getting. But reducing mpg's? I'd like to hear a complete explanation about how it reduces mpgs when it is removed. Using reverse logic (which is not always correct) wouldn't that mean adding a carbon filter would increase mpgs? They should add four of them to the M3, so that it can get 32 mpgs Just kidding.

I think the bmw guys just don't want their sexy machines being ruined by over oiled panel filters. Note that I said over oiled not oiled. I don't want to take a stance on oiled vs non oiled, but we can all agree that over oiled is bad and that tends to happen when people recharge their filter.

I don't have a euro intake wish I did I just have the stock air box, with the carbon delete, and a stock filter. When I do decide to "upgrade" I'd probably just get some cyba scoops, and an AFE ProdryS filter. Just my opinion, I'm sure they make an equivalent or better filter that is dry for you Have fun out there and be safe! Any loss in mpg imo, is gonna come from the car being driven harder because of the new sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Those lucky enough to have the Euro box have the following options
- Stock & various cheap copies
- BMW Performance filter = dry version of K&N
- K&N oiled
- AFE round euro version - dry or oiled- apperently better built then K&N
- Pipercross - panel filter made out of foam - UK brand
- BMC air filter - looks like K&N - Italian brand?

Some Euro box owners in the UK have cut a hole in the right side of the box, like the Simota CF intake

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 10-16-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
its cheap... if you want it. get it... if not...then dont.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
will bleich
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb84 View Post
E90 2006 325i - I was planning on replacing my standard paper filter with a K&N drop in cone filter to give the engine a bit more breathability, but having read many many conflicting threads on E90post.com, now I'm not so sure!

What is the general feeling of "yeah go for it, it'll improve performance, sound great and help your engine breathe" versus "don't bother, it's not worth the money, the K&N's will allow more particulates through the filter that will go through the engine and end up in your oil as a mild abrasive"

In all honesty, I'm not fussed about performance gains (an increase in MPG would be nice!) but care more about giving the engine the least restrictive air supply as possible. I quiet like some of the additional sounds from the engine bay that can be associated with a K&N but wouldn't do the swap just for that reason!

Lastly, can the oil from the K&N interfere with the MAF?

PLEASE VOTE!

Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers, JB
i did a cheap intake set up on mine, you just get a new maf sensor pipe and then run an open filter it cost me 80 dollars for everything, i can send you the link where i got mine if your interested
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
conrad325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I put mine in about 15k miles ago. I have yet to recharge mine yet but of you just clean your MAF sensor and don't over oil you'll be better of on the mpgs. I've notices mpg gains since I put mine in and charcoal deleted. Like on average 1.5 mpg more. Idk why people think that it sounds noticeably better though bc it really doesn't.
      10-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
jb84
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelesy24 View Post
...The filter however fits the standard airbox, and cost me with my staff discount £50 and I have the knowledge that it is a genuine BMW part...
Mike, is the BMW performance filter a dry version of the K&N? That I would be keen for. Potentially a better filter without the agro of oiling the K&N and having the possible MAF issues that could go with that. Where does one get ones hands on one of those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowandslow115 View Post
i did a cheap intake set up on mine, you just get a new maf sensor pipe and then run an open filter it cost me 80 dollars for everything, i can send you the link where i got mine if your interested
Thanks. I'm not looking to run an open filter. It gets pretty hot under the hood and air intake temp is more important for a NA engine vs. a turbocharged engine, so am looking to keep it as cool as possible hence working with the standard euro box.

Cheers all.
      10-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
will bleich
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pos

Cheers all.[/QUOTE]

i also heard cutting the backing off the stock filter helps, carbon filter or something(idk what its called)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Eelesy24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb84 View Post
Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated!

Mike, is the BMW performance filter a dry version of the K&N? That I would be keen for. Potentially a better filter without the agro of oiling the K&N and having the possible MAF issues that could go with that. Where does one get ones hands on one of those?
I am pretty sure it is a dry version as no oil is supplied with the filter, and the way to get it is to ring your local BMW dealer parts department and ask for a performance intake filter, easy as that. It will be in the region of 60 to 70, I got mine for 50 but that's due to staff discount
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #17
jfisher160
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

I have the performance intake and the performance filter came with oil on the filter. I dont have the euro intake so not sure if that is different. But when i got the performance intake, the performance filter was the same filter as the K&N Filter.

Sold - 2007 328i (3-Stage Manifold - BMW Perf Intake w/Scoops - Powerbox - Magnaflow Exhaust - MMW Headers - KW Street Comfort - VMR 701s 19' w/M3 offset - BMW Strut Brace - 330I Brake Conversation - 5% Tint All Around - 8K HID Fog Lights -Angel Eyes)
Appreciate 0