E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Need opinions on the best quality sound A2DP adapter please...

12-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Need opinions on the best quality sound A2DP adapter please...

Okay guys,

I've tried two solutions so far and haven't been happy with either.

First I tried was the Belkin Bluetooth Car Hands-Free Kit

It works completely as described but there was a noticeable lack of bass with it. It wasn't annoyingly high frequency sounds only. But it sounded as if the car wasn't even equipped with two underseat subs.

So gave it to my father and tried another option that a friend of mine just picked up, one that a lot of folks here on the forum seem to like: the Blackberry Music Gateway

The bass was noticeably improved with this one, but the sound quality was pathetic. It sounded as though the file I was playing was ripped at 96kbps. Again, its not completely horrible, but a NOTICEABLE difference. The volume amplification was also very low. You definitely have to turn it up if switching from a CD or Radio source to this, and be sure to turn it down before switching back if you do not like the sound blasting at you when just flipping to a radio station or CD.

Just to clarify, the way I'm testing this is by burning a CD with a few of my favorite songs, some heavy bass some not, a lot of instrumentals in a few. The same file (not sized down when transferred to my iphone) that was burned to the CD was also played on the phone through a2dp. Just for good measure to be sure it wasn't the phone, I also hardwired the phone to the car with a standard belkin aux cable and noticed the same (or close to the same) sound as with a CD, when hard wired plugged in.

This was tested on my 09 lci 335i sedan with factory hi-fi system, as well as my friend's 08 550i w/iDrive with Logic7 option.

So its definitely a lack of sound quality with either of the two gateways.

My question is, has anyone else tried a different bluetooth a2dp gateway with better results?

I've seen a few users of a Griffin unit on here as well as a few others. Given my experiences above, has anyone had one where they HAVEN'T noticed the issues as I've outlined them above with the two units I've tried?

Thanks for your input folks. I'm already out $65 on the Belkin, I'd rather not just throw money at a few other options in the blind hope they are better.

Couple other notes:

1. I know that bluetooth will have an inherent depreciation in quality. However, the mustang I owned previously had A2DP built in with the stock Sync Stereo. I've also used A2DP with my parent's 2011 Jaguar XJ. Neither of these two A2DP factory equipped bluetooth gateways had the issues I am outlining. Or if they did, it was no where near as noticeable. There HAS to be an aftermarket, plug in option with better quality.

2. They both technically work as designed. They sounded okay I guess to the average user (my father didn't care about the lack of bass in the belkin but he primarily listens to talk radio or indian music and therefore didn't have heavy bass to begin with)

They also both allowed the phone to connect to the car's bluetooth for calls and seamlessly switched from one to the next when playing music, call comes in, and then automatically back to music once the call was ended.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The aux input is low fi.

Even when going directly off a player it seems to loose sound across the board
and more at both the top and bottom. Couple this with the already weak power of the Hi Fi or base system and its pretty bad. I noticed when I upgraded my sound system the aux input now sounds passable with a direct line in.
I think adding a module like the Dension gateway 500s for usb and a2dp may give better results as its digital in.
Some have said there is a capacitor in line with the aux that can be removed to increase the signal in but I have not seen any DIY's on how to remove it or how well it works.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
SpunkyXL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Coupe

that's odd..the stereo gateway sounds great in my car. Def no lack of bass. Test on a higher quality mp3 rip. Garbage in (96kbps) = Garbage out

Edit: Also make sure volume and settings are adjusted on the source device (iphone, ipod, phone, etc)

Last edited by SpunkyXL; 12-17-2012 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Even when going directly off a player it seems to loose sound across the board
and more at both the top and bottom. Couple this with the already weak power of the Hi Fi or base system and its pretty bad. I noticed when I upgraded my sound system the aux input now sounds passable with a direct line in.
I think adding a module like the Dension gateway 500s for usb and a2dp may give better results as its digital in.
Some have said there is a capacitor in line with the aux that can be removed to increase the signal in but I have not seen any DIY's on how to remove it or how well it works.
I have a decent ear and I could not tell the difference between Lossless-->Dock Connector-->Aux vs. CD when I had my "stereo" configuration.

The problem with A2DP is there is no set standard for bandwidth. It can range from very limited (~32kbps) up to the 128kbps neighborhood.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
jaymd123
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335i

I've had awesome results with this: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=200830045306&index=1&nav=SEARCH&ni d=54469142221

I've bought 5 so far because they are so inexpensive and the sound quality is defiantly better than the Blackberry gateway. For $13 what is there to lose?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyXL View Post
that's odd..the stereo gateway sounds great in my car. Def no lack of bass. Test on a higher quality mp3 rip. Garbage in (96kbps) = Garbage out

Edit: Also make sure volume and settings are adjusted on the source device (iphone, ipod, phone, etc)
Just to clarify, the files I used to test this were originally ripped from a CD at 320kbps. What I was stating that it 'sounds' as crappy to my ears as though I were listening to a burned with files originally ripped at 96kbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I have a decent ear and I could not tell the difference between Lossless-->Dock Connector-->Aux vs. CD when I had my "stereo" configuration.

The problem with A2DP is there is no set standard for bandwidth. It can range from very limited (~32kbps) up to the 128kbps neighborhood.

Agreed... the question is, or the goal is to find a bluetooth adapter that is at least in the 128kbps range. No idea how to figure this out as its of course not listed in the specs of any of these adapters. Trial and error seems to be the only option

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymd123 View Post
I've had awesome results with this: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=54469142221

I've bought 5 so far because they are so inexpensive and the sound quality is defiantly better than the Blackberry gateway. For $13 what is there to lose?
For $13 yes I will give it a shot. It seems however the only way it connects to the car is through the car's USB port, with no 3.5mm connection at all. I'm okay with this, I just want to clarify though, what cable are you using to connect it? The standard apple cable? (30pin connector to USB)

I ask because when I connect my phone using just this cable, the car doesn't recognize the phone (it charges the phone but will not play using it) my understanding is that its because I need to have the BMW cable (or equivalent) that has both the USB/3.5mm 'jack' on one end and the 30 pin connector on the other.

Will I need to buy one of these cables in order to use this? Or can I use my standard regular apple cable?

I'm pretty sure I'm answering my own question here, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Radio shack has some 3 dollar stereo cables

Radio shack has some 3 dollar stereo cables (3.5 mini jack) .
You should be able to play anything that connects to it through
that. The sound out of my HTC phone does not sound as good with the
same type files on the phone and the cd . It could be because the phone
doesn't have much of a preamp , but others have complained about
the low quality on the aux before.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Radio shack has some 3 dollar stereo cables (3.5 mini jack) .
You should be able to play anything that connects to it through
that. The sound out of my HTC phone does not sound as good with the
same type files on the phone and the cd . It could be because the phone
doesn't have much of a preamp , but others have complained about
the low quality on the aux before.
Thanks for the suggestion, and yes connecting it 'hardwired' with a 3.5mm aux cable works well enough.

I'm looking for a wireless solution.

To some a wire isn't a big deal, (and truthfully its not the end of the world) but sometimes I have my phone mounted on my dash and sometimes I just have it in my lap. I dont like having a wire tethered to it all the time. I can't route the wire behind the dash because then it would be too short when I want it in my hands.

I know its a stupid problem to have, but if I can find a solution I'd rather this route. I'm spoiled with having bluetooth connection as I've had it for 2 years with my previous car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
I've had awesome results with this: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=54469142221
Interesting. You're using the Y cable with it in your 2010 335i?

Does it support steering wheel controls / AVRCP at all?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

The biggest problem with a2dp is less that it doesn't specify bandwidth (devices negotiate the max mutually supported) but that it doesn't enforce choice of codec. The only codec the standard requires is the very crappy SBC, whereas is both devices have support they CAN run things like MPEG-1/4 AAC, ATRAC, and manufacturer defined codecs. iOS devices support AAC, but presumably most dongles don't due to licensing fees, leaving you with bubbly, crappy audio.

I'll say this: I've found exactly two Bluetooth devices I like the sound of and can't notice any appreciable audio quality loss on: Samsung makes a range of 3 sound docks ranging from line $150 or $200 to $600. The more expensive two sound FANTASTIC, where the cheaper one is noticeably poorer quality in terms of BT streaming.

Unfortunately, the end result is that it's almost impossible to say what combination of A2DP devices will sound good without trying them. And unfortunately, for every idiot who thinks he can tell the difference between a mosquito and a fruit fly at 200 yards, there are ten average Joes who couldn't tell you the difference between FLAC and 128kbit CBR MP3. I've bought oodles of totally disappointing BT adapters with great reviews claiming fine sound quality.

I'm considering making a custom BT device for the BMW Y cable with both great BT quality and steering control pass through. The problem there is the epic amount of effort to reverse the BMW implementation of iPod Accessory Protocol and make the dongle spoof a real iPod well enough.

Tl;dr BT accessories in combination vary wildly in quality, and getting accurate info on that quality before buying is nearly impossible. Sorry.

gpb: speaking from experience with similar, it shouldn't. It knows enough to forward iAP commands like skip and play to the device via AVRCP, but BMW does a lot of other things over iAP when the device is connected before the iPod option even registers in the HU. And it seems commands are only sent in iPod mode. In Aux mode, wheel button presses don't ever illicit action on the Y cable for such a device to pick up

At least, I'm 95% sure all of that is correct. Hearing back for sure would be good evidence.
      12-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:

well, ordered the item in your link and this... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

tonight... will report back once its all in and get an opportunity to test.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5m / Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
I'm considering making a custom BT device for the BMW Y cable with both great BT quality and steering control pass through. The problem there is the epic amount of effort to reverse the BMW implementation of iPod Accessory Protocol and make the dongle spoof a real iPod well enough.

Tl;dr BT accessories in combination vary wildly in quality, and getting accurate info on that quality before buying is nearly impossible. Sorry.

gpb: speaking from experience with similar, it shouldn't. It knows enough to forward iAP commands like skip and play to the device via AVRCP, but BMW does a lot of other things over iAP when the device is connected before the iPod option even registers in the HU. And it seems commands are only sent in iPod mode. In Aux mode, wheel button presses don't ever illicit action on the Y cable for such a device to pick up

At least, I'm 95% sure all of that is correct. Hearing back for sure would be good evidence.

Whoa, good post. I want exactly what you are considering making. By the way I just bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it works fine, except just as a dumb bluetooth analog audio passthrough that is powered by the BMW Y-cable. The sound quality is surprisingly good (I didn't expect much) with my HTC Rezound. But I have a New Potato Tunelink which I think is by far the best. Although I'm not the pickiest audiophile type person I do stress over mp3 compression and can't listen to things like XM/Sirius without my ears bleeding.

But sadly no steering wheel controls. That is why I bought it just to see. I have a 2008 (CCC?) 335i w/ iDrive & 6FL, and it seems to need to see a REAL ipod. I am afraid it really is reading the ipod in USB mode to see the library etc? Sounds too hard to spoof.

Doesn't the E90 have a cd changer connection? I'm wondering why nobody makes a cd changer emulator for bluetooth with AVRCP. Is it because everyone thinks 6FL is good enough?

Also, I would want to use this with Spotify, not mp3's on my phone. And I noticed that even with a real 2Gen Ipod, the BMW wouldn't send track fwd/rev commands to spotify .. I think it is really reading the current play queue selecting the song to play when you hit fwd/rev.

Last edited by kefler; 03-12-2013 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

You mean like a Dension gateway 500 s bluetooth

"Doesn't the E90 have a cd changer connection? I'm wondering why nobody makes a cd changer emulator for bluetooth with AVRCP. Is it because everyone thinks 6FL is good enough?"

You mean like a Dension gateway 500 s bluetooth
(the new one that has a2dp in addition to usb.)

Or a mobridge unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
explorer2
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

I use the miccus minijack rx. Works pretty well for about $30. Reconnects automatically every time the car starts, and has a built in battery if needed. My only complaint is there is it makes a buzzing noise when no connection is active, and that it needs to be manually turned on if you wait a while after starting the car to use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

I just recently got the BB Music Gateway. It's OK. Not CD quality as you said though. My main issue is the aux port just doesn't sound great. On my e46 I had one of the adapters that took line out from my MP3 player and went to the CD Changer and it sounded great.

I'm wondering if you should just bite the bullet and retrofit a combox so you have A2DP native to the car. If you can, maybe try to find someone local with a newer car with Combox, or test drive a newer BMW and just see if the quality is what you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

so whats the verdict?...I want to use my iphone streaming spotify..if I am willing to spend a decent amount, where can I get the best sound quality???...prefer the ease of BT but willing to try different route if sound quality is way better...is it just better and easier to use wired options?.

I am using Belkin BT device and it sounds really bad...no bass...my other car I sold which was 12' Jetta had the upgraded sound system and the BT streaming sounded decent....much better than what I have now...granted I have the base stereo for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #17
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

A mobridge or a Dension gateway 500s BT

A mobridge or a Dension gateway 500s BT
Both of these have A2DP.
See there websites . I don' t think the 50 dollar devices playing threw the aux can compete with these.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

Hmm both of those seem to take over the handsfree operation of the phone though. Any idea on the cost of one of these installed?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
so whats the verdict?...I want to use my iphone streaming spotify..if I am willing to spend a decent amount, where can I get the best sound quality???...prefer the ease of BT but willing to try different route if sound quality is way better...is it just better and easier to use wired options?.

I am using Belkin BT device and it sounds really bad...no bass...my other car I sold which was 12' Jetta had the upgraded sound system and the BT streaming sounded decent....much better than what I have now...granted I have the base stereo for now.
I'm afraid that with the base audio, the source quality will not make a big difference one way or the other.
      03-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Got to agree base system with no amp sucks

Got to agree base system with no amp sucks.
Even Hi Fi is not that great .
You would want to spend on upgrading the stereo first.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-14-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #21
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
I'm afraid that with the base audio, the source quality will not make a big difference one way or the other.
I am getting Musicars stage II installed next month!...so my audio quality will be alot better real soon.....
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Dension gateway 500 s BT

Dension gateway 500 s bluetooth will give you a2dp ipod and bluetooth phone if you don't already have it. The mobridge also does this but is more expensive. See there website.

I have seen the older model on ebay for 300 but it doesn't do a2dp

The new pro radio has bluetooth phone , Hd Radio and USB/ipod built in if you can find it . (but no a2dp)

All these require some coding to install with the Dension being the easiest i think. Ask VP for some opinions on the best way to do this.
Appreciate 0