E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Is Feltham (West London) Worth considering when i move to London?

04-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Is Feltham (West London) Worth considering when i move to London?

Afternoon Chaps/Chapesses,

Myself and partner are looking at places to move to in west London, We've looked at Kew, Brentford and Staines but are also considering Feltham.

I've lived in Kew before and its lovely but slightly over the budget as we want to try and save a deposit for our house. I also know Brentford as i worked just of the A4 in Brentford and it’s not a bad area.

As the title suggests I don't know Feltham and was wondering what your thoughts were??
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Kew is lovely mate! very nice area indeed!

Brentford, the part closer to Kew which is near the river (river part being the nicest)

staines is not bad either!

ranked
1. Kew
2. Brentford (more towards the high street/kew)
3. Staines
      04-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

LOL,

That’s how i rate them as well. The problem is finding somewhere within budget.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

I live near all of those area's (near Heathrow) and would class Feltham as bottom of the list, although great if you want to commute to Waterloo via rail

Its got a town centre i.e. shops and tesco etc and local multiplex (cinema, bowling, food places) but its a bit "chav" - no offense intended. To be honest, if its just you and the mrs you'd prob be alrite, just wouldent want to raise my kids there

I dont particularly rate Brentford either (went to school round there and worked around there) although its next door Kew and near Richmond, which are both lovely. As mentioned already, Brentford is nice on the Kew borders

Staines is nice with plenty to do and keep you occupied - and would have thought not massively expensive depending on where you look. Given the options you've mentioned, I would think its prob the best in terms of value for money, as imagine Kew & nice parts of Brentford would be really pricey

Apart from living in a nice place/area, what are the other factors you need to consider i.e. will you commute via public transport to London? do you both drive so can live on the outskirts of a town etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I heard that Feltham can be chavy.

Staines is chavy.

Egham is nice though.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
I heard that Feltham can be chavy.

Staines is chavy.

Egham is nice though.
Egham is lovely and picturesque!

TBH, I can see how some might view Staines as chav (Ali G prob doesnt help LOL), but its actually a nice place, with a few teenage "rudeboys" cruising about in their pimped out sheds!

Certainly not a cheap area to live and with excellent road links (M25, A30 etc) its well located. I think as long as youre away from a few of the council type area's you'd be alright there! Certainly miles better than Feltham (no offense to any Feltham inhabitants), just my 2 pence worth
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakhu1 View Post
I live near all of those area's (near Heathrow) and would class Feltham as bottom of the list, although great if you want to commute to Waterloo via rail

Its got a town centre i.e. shops and tesco etc and local multiplex (cinema, bowling, food places) but its a bit "chav" - no offense intended. To be honest, if its just you and the mrs you'd prob be alrite, just wouldent want to raise my kids there

I dont particularly rate Brentford either (went to school round there and worked around there) although its next door Kew and near Richmond, which are both lovely. As mentioned already, Brentford is nice on the Kew borders

Staines is nice with plenty to do and keep you occupied - and would have thought not massively expensive depending on where you look. Given the options you've mentioned, I would think its prob the best in terms of value for money, as imagine Kew & nice parts of Brentford would be really pricey

Apart from living in a nice place/area, what are the other factors you need to consider i.e. will you commute via public transport to London? do you both drive so can live on the outskirts of a town etc?
I agree about Feltham being not all that. My mum works around there and found it bad for crime. Especially near the cinema area, where car windows get smashed. (no offense to any people who live in Feltham).

Certain parts of Brentford is good, try the area near the Brentford national rail station or near Boston Manor station. I know this area is good as i used to go that way too high school (went to Gunnersbury School in Brentford. ). Places near the town centre is alright.

Staines i don't know much about , but i have heard its good. Better than 2 above.

I live in Isleworth(hounslow), this is between all three places mentioned above. Isleworth is a good area, better than the 3 above.

Even a place called Osterley is good (next to the A4 - direct route into central london, Underground station and bus which goes to chiswick/hammersmith).

Good luck with the find mate.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Feltham is a shit hole

If you want to be around there check out Boston manor or osterley much nicer
      04-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
sives
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Feltham is a shit hole

+1 , totally agree wit this
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakhu1 View Post

Thanks for the info,

I'll be driving to work and the missus is looking at the overland rail link as she'll be working in Puntney (This may change, Her boss is trying to keep her by offering her a role in London) We both drive, I think she wants to burn her car as she's pissed right off with driving a hundred miles a day at the moment. We need to be within a half a mile of a station/Tube depending on what role she accepts.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #11
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Coming from The North, I know very little about London and its surroundings but if I was ever on Blankety Blank and the question was "Feltham <blank>", my answer would be "Young Offenders Institute". Nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #12
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Feltham is a shit hole

LOL Mega, Thanks for the indepth review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sives View Post
+1 , totally agree wit this
Another huge vote for not moving to the "Shit Hole" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Coming from The North, I know very little about London and its surroundings but if I was ever on Blankety Blank and the question was "Feltham <blank>", my answer would be "Young Offenders Institute". Nuff said.
I think this one wins

Thanks for the info, never new about the young fuckwits nursery. Think we might look at Brentford (near Kew bridge station)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #13
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

Hi,

You need to be in Isleworth or Boston Manor, both have train links not too far which can take you to putney but will need to change to go south of the river.

The tube links are very good along the Picadilly lines.

Osterley is pricier still and real Osterley is along Jersey Road and roads off it, though some does extend south towards the Isleworth.

Chiswick is also lovely area, West Acton is not bad, depends really if you need to be further out or further in.

I grew up in Osterley and Staines, so know them well. I would suggest if you want something more rural then move out towards Spelthorne/Surrey (Staines, Egham etc). There is a train from staines to Putney I think... I suppose you need to check your train lines and see which is closest for direct commute, then narrow down your areas.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
sives
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi1750 View Post
Hi,

You need to be in Isleworth or Boston Manor, both have train links not too far which can take you to putney but will need to change to go south of the river.

The tube links are very good along the Picadilly lines.

Osterley is pricier still and real Osterley is along Jersey Road and roads off it, though some does extend south towards the Isleworth.

Chiswick is also lovely area, West Acton is not bad, depends really if you need to be further out or further in.

I grew up in Osterley and Staines, so know them well. I would suggest if you want something more rural then move out towards Spelthorne/Surrey (Staines, Egham etc). There is a train from staines to Putney I think... I suppose you need to check your train lines and see which is closest for direct commute, then narrow down your areas.
+1
Appreciate 0