E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2008 e90 335i cooling system problems

01-01-2024, 09:36 AM   #1
steesha
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

2008 e90 335i cooling system problems

Hello
I have a 2008 335i sedan with manual transmission, 105k miles, and some Cobb modifications including Accessport tune, Cobb exhaust, intercooler, and downpipes.

Last week I was driving home and started to lose power and had smoke/steam from engine. I turned the car off, coasted to the side of the road, and had it towed home. When I got home, I could see the coolant flange aka mickey mouse flange had broken (typical erosion of the plastic). I ordered the solid aluminum replacement from FCP Euro and replace it yesterday. When I started it up it had a rough idle and pretty quickly was getting smoke/steam from the engine bay, and then the engine malfunction error code came on the dash, so I turned off the engine. Bummer.

I pulled the codes using a Schwaben scan tool, and a lot of codes came up (a subset of the codes are below). I'm worried when the coolant flange broke that some plastic from that part ended up somewhere in the engine/coolant system and are causing problems. Code 2e83 makes me think the water pump has failed (possibly from getting plastic in it? I read that debris in the system can cause the water pump to fail), so I was going to replace that next. But the codes on the cylinder bank misfire and no start code make me wonder if something else is wrong. I wanted to check this forum in case folks have thoughts on what else it could before I do the water pump and thermostat.

I looked around on the forum and see lots of threads on water pump and thermostat failure/replacement, but I couldnt find a thread talking about the cylinder misfire and possible plastic from the coolant flange.

Thanks

Shawn

a0b4 no start code
29cd cylinder 1 has misfired.
29ce combustion failure in cylinder 2.
29d1 combustion misfire in cylinder 5.
29f2 Cylinder injection cut-out, pressure too low in high-pressure system
2ded This fault may appear when there is an excessive current flow
2e83 DME has detected an unexpected shutdown or failure of the electric water pump
2e8d an issue with the intelligent battery sensor (IBS).
2ee6 A faulty coolant temperature sensor
2f71 issue with the blower unit that cools the sealed ECU box
2f80 code from flash tune
Appreciate 0