E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Clutch going bad?

01-05-2024, 05:59 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Clutch going bad?

I've been disliking/suspecting the clutch in my car needed to be replaced since not long after I got it (70k miles; now 160k) Car is a 2009 E92 335i 6MT, running Cobb "stage 1+ FMIC" tune. Every time I get it checked out though I am basically blown off and told I don't need a clutch (sometimes I just want stuff done though. I wish I could find someone to replace the trans gear oil too, but I can't.)

Tonight leaving work I merged onto the highway and accelerated hard in 5th gear at ~3K RPM. RPMs "flashed" up ~600 or so until the car caught up to it, sounds like classic bad clutch, right?

- can this be because of cold weather? I bet the clutch disc was still cold as it was ~33F at this time and I was only maybe 4 miles from the office.

- Shouldn't that have thrown a drivetrain code?

- Is it possible that I was actually spinning my tires but by some miracle they spun equally so as not to engage traction control? (I pretty much had one eye on tach and one on traffic, was not watching speedo)

Let's assume I do need a clutch.

- what would be a good price to do the work? Parts and labor separately if you don't mind, I'm more looking for input on labor.

- Is it pretty much a lock that I need a new flywheel?

- Is using the 540i clutch still the hot ticket or is there something better/stronger that will not be too offensive in stop and go traffic (where I spend most of my time, sadly). Something with more pronounced feel than stock would be much appreciated.

- Are there any "while you're in there"s that I should do?

- Thinking of braided stainless clutch fluid hose and CDV delete. (again, I have repeatedly asked to have that deleted and have been told "you don't need that, it doesn't do anything" grr snarl) Opinions?

Finally:

- Will I ever get to the point where I can attend to the cosmetics or will this (redacted) thing just keep breaking indefinitely?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:18 PM   #2
NikMN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 n63tu

Your clutch is done for. Start shopping (clutch kit + flywheel ) $2k +/- in parts plus labor. 550 clutch and 1m flywheel works but do your own research
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 11:20 AM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

So what would you buy? The guy that's probably going to do the work will likely want me to buy parts (just got oil pan gasket done and that's how it went)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 01:27 PM   #4
NikMN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 n63tu

I went with 550 clutch and 1m flywheel. No difference in pedal feel and engine reved better. There are aftermarket options out there (single mass) but without trying can't if they are better or worse.
Appreciate 1