E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Starter Equipment Help

01-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
gogunbaba
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 15 X5M, 06 E46 M3 ZCP

Starter Equipment Help

Hello ,

I have ordered the below kit and purchased the meguiars clay bar kit. I also have a pressure washer and car shampoo. I have read the 101 sticky on this section. Can you please advise if I need a sealant or wax? or If I am missing any other stuff to a thorough detailing I have a white E92 and Black E90. E92 is in excellent condition and E90 has swirls mark on the paint with light scratches around door handles.

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...dro-Pads-P488/

Any help would be appreciated,

Burak
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

You do need a sealant or wax, which one is up to you. The easy choice is probably blackfire wet diamond. It lasts, is stupid easy to use, looks great, and doesn't cost a fortune. That being said there are TONS of other great options.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
+1 on the BFWD
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

need a sealant like blackfire wet diamond
You are going to be there forever with ONE 4" cutting pad.

For instance, on a typical BMW 3 series, I do a lot of them, I use anywhere from 5-8 5.5" cutting pads, and 2 4" pads on the bumpers and around the handles.

Then I will use about 3-4 5.5" polishing pads, 2 4" pads

you will need a 5" backing plate as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

I agree applying a sealant or wax afterward would be critical, the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is my favorite sealant. I also agree that I would pick up at least one more of each pad if not more because the pad can get caked up with polish over time and loose it's effectiveness. I wipe the face with a clean microfiber towel after 1 - 2 panels but even still replacing them at least halfway through will be a huge help.

I'm not sure if you have some of the other areas covered but here are some suggestions if interested.

Microfiber
Microfiber is paint safe and highly effective at removing the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, wax, etc. For this process I would suggest getting 3x - 6x of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are also great for interior cleanings, apply protection, leather care, glass care and so much more!

Interior
I generally clean the fabrics, carpets, dashboard, doors, console with the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. It's a highly effective cleaner that removes human oils, dust, dirt, etc. quite easily. 303 Aerospace Protectant protects just about the whole interior (vinyl, plastic, rubber, leather). It blocks out UV rays and preserves the finish so apply it to the dashboard, doors, console, arm rests, exterior trim, rubber moldings, etc. etc. Protecting the carpets and mats is super easy just mist the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on them and you are done! It will help repel moisture and the fabric will look exactly the same. It's such an easy step that many people skip over but trust me it's well worth it. If you want to deep clean and condition your seats or just maintain new ones the all natural Leatherique Prestine Clean and
Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil are perfect! They can really make the leather look and feel it's best while leaving behind a totally matte finish. If you prefer a one step option or something more affordable the SONAX Leather Foam can be used on the leather as well to keep it clean. It's a great one step option that doesn't have any any extra gloss or shine which is generally not good for the leather.

Wheels
I love the new SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect which is very strong yet pH neutral and totally safe to use. It helps clean the wheels quickly and effectively! To protect the wheels you can use the same sealant listed above or get something like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

Tires
If you want the tires looking like new year round the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit is an amazing product. It provides a semi-permanent coating that keeps the tires looking new, repelling moisture and contaminants while still good for the rubber.

Let me know if there are any other areas you'd like a recommendation for!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
gogunbaba
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 15 X5M, 06 E46 M3 ZCP

Thank you very much for your responses.

Greg,

could you please provide the address on your sitre for a backing plate for 5.5 inches pads?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogunbaba View Post
Thank you very much for your responses.

Greg,

could you please provide the address on your sitre for a backing plate for 5.5 inches pads?
All of our Lake Country Pads are found on the Lake Country page you just have to pick out the right size for each one. Let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0