E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Misfire?

05-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
xhgwx
Rep
Drives: 335i Convert

Misfire?

Went to pass a car yesterday, dropped 2 gears 4th to second then let it open up after i passed. shifted to 3rd-4th-5th, and bam, started misfiring, pulled to a stop, the service soon light went off, gas it gas and it came back on. Drove home, turned off the car and turned it back on and everything seemed like it was running fine. went to work, same fine, went home later last night and tried to recreate what happened, went to a new part of a neighborhood where its only road and took it through the gears twice, nothing, on my third try it happen again, this time coming to a stop did not turn the code off or return to normal. but when i restarted the car again it was fine. this morning i drove to school and its fine. I have 0 idea whats going on, ive never had a misfire just go away after restarting on any car.drove it this morning and its fine, taking it to bmw later(whom i just picked it up from yesterday because they fixed the battery cable recall) and see if i cant recreate what happened because the code goes away once i restart the car and im not sureif they could still pull the code. Any ideas?
I'm thinking plugs, coils, wires,it did just roll 81k, and i did buy it used and it has the CPO for the next 3 months.
I know the plugs should be changed every 30-40 on these cars and it being used im not sure it was changed recently. But normally when a plug goes it goes it doesnt decide to start working again after restarting. Any ideaS?
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Do you have any means of pulling the stored codes? Without those, it's going to be tough to track down the source of your intermittent misfire. Plugs are always a good place to start regardless..

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
kalamokid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I don't mean to hijack your thread OP and best of luck to your issue but is it possible to have a misfire and have no service lights come on? Just trying to figure my own issue out as well.
Appreciate 0