E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alternative iPod Solution

04-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #23
eimer3107
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M Sport Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
Is this true? Anyone? I'd be much more concerned about line noise.
I've been using the Monster for around 6 months (with Logic 7) and have had no probs with line noise. The sound quality is noticeably better than that of cheaper (headphone jack) links I've tried - and with the unit I've got, you get power and aux out together (Monster clips into the iPOD dock, line out to aux clips into the Monster). I bought the cable itself off the internet because I wanted a shorter length.

I haven't particularly noticed that the Monster is a PITA to clip and unclip, in fact I'm happy that it's secure - but as I've got a "spare" iPOD which lives in the armrest most of the time, I only unclip it every couple of weeks to update it. It would probably be difficult to do one handed "on the move" because you need to squeeze buttons on the side to release it - but if you buy the unit I've described, where the line out clips into the Monster, this shouldn't be an issue.

I was planning to use this as an interim solution while I considered getting something more integrated - however, I'm quite happy with it so doubt if I'll bother now. I tend to leave the iPOD on shuffle while I'm driving anyway, and it's simple enough to reach down and click the wheel if I really can't stand the track I'm listening to. Sound quality is good - and I can use the Logic 7 surround options just the same as with the CD player.

I haven't got an iJet, although it is something I was considering. A couple of the posts here make me think it may not be worthwhile for me.

Last edited by eimer3107; 04-04-2008 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #24
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Following on from this thread, I've now only got a single CD in the Cayman so was thinking about getting an iPod. Has anyone any suggestions about a decent make and rough prices? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #25
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Helen,

I have a Creative Zen Vision M - cost about the same as the then current Ipod about 2 Years ago (£230). Whilst the Zen is very good and IMO produces better sound quality, better battery life etc. it's not as mainstream as an Ipod and more difficult to get compatible extras such as docking stations etc.

In hindsight I should have followed the crowd and got an Ipod. So my advice would be to get the lastest generation touch screen Ipod.

PhilR
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 04:22 AM   #26
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for that Phil. Am I right in thinking that you can actually charge the iPod battery in the car with the right 'kit' as the Cayman has 12v sockets and a 'plug in' in the arm rest? Sorry I'm VERY ignorant when it comes to these things.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 06:19 AM   #27
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Helen,

You can get a basic car charger for the IPOD that plugs into the armrest compartment socket - they'll be under a tenner.

I have read on a E90 thread somewhere that it's possible to connect the Ipod by USB (if the socket is fitted to the car) and have the ablility to select tracks via the steering wheel buttons etc.

PhilR
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #28
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Thanks for that Phil. Am I right in thinking that you can actually charge the iPod battery in the car with the right 'kit' as the Cayman has 12v sockets and a 'plug in' in the arm rest? Sorry I'm VERY ignorant when it comes to these things.
I'm on my second ipod and I seriously rate them. No problems with reliability or battery life and the clickwheel navigation is superb.

The touchscreen jobs don't have enough memory yet, so I'd suggest that you get an 80gig 'classic'.

To connect it to your car you need this:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=120584
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #29
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Much as I dislike Apple as an overpriced anti-competitive company with an overinflated opinion of itself and its products, the iPod is the best overall package when you take into account not just the player itself but the integration and accessory availability aspect, iTunes which is pretty good, and the slickness of the user interface. iPod sound quality is not the best though. Regardless of bitrates, the output circuitry is a bit lacking in the quality department compared to many rivals, which is unfortunate as the iPhone/iTouch are worse, and supposedly the iPod will be using the same chips soon. However, it's still hard to beat because of the other things, and especially for car use with full integration where you can use artist/album/genre/playlist selection and see the whole thing on the car's own nav screen, and control it from the steering wheel. I just wouldn't buy any car without that level of integration nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #30
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Sorry Guys - how rude of me, I meant to thank you for all the useful info. Cheers Helen.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #31
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
What about the Harman Kardon iPod controller? £75 with a 4 line display and a separate iPod type controller. Looks pretty good to me.
I just put in one of these into my car, and used a generic windshield mount for the screen. I don't have iDrive so for me it's like a faux iDrive lol