Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Understeer: How much stagger is too much?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Blk_Beemer
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Arrow Understeer: How much stagger is too much?

I am considering switching from a square set-up to staggered on my 2007 e90 328xi non-lci. I'm considering going 8.5 wide in the front and 10 in the rear with either Forgestar F14 or Apex ARC-8. I know all about keep the rolling diameters within 1% for an XI, my only concern is about understeer.

I do not plan to track the car, install sway bars or camber plates, and I know that going with an aggressive staggered set-up will only make the existing understeer more pronounced. But how much? My question is under what circumstances, and to what degree do you experience it during daily driving? Is this something you don't notice, maybe just notice only at higher speeds (like on-ramps), or is the difference only noticeable if you track the car?

Also, have you seen your car's performance/acceleration suffer? Although the contact patch increases with a wider rear wheel, does it make the rear feel at all "sluggish" when cornering?

How about with spacers, if I continue to run an 8.5 square set-up but with spacers will the understeer still be just as pronounced if I went with 10s?

Any advice or experiences from both XI and I driver would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
hammerhandle9
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Red

good question

i'd also like to know what the largest wheel and tire combo are possible with a stock 2011 328i E90 without making any mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
shanecarmaster1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325i, F01 750Li, e38 740i

Oh God, I thought it said, "How much swagger is too much?"
      11-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

I"d take my cue from BMW's sport option..use wheel/tire widths from that set up...They try hard to maintain balanced handling....But they do spec a bit too much rear air pressure for my tastes...takin the rears down a few psi and the fronts up a few will remove some of the understeering tendency. All mfgs..except maybe Porsche try to dial in enuff understeer to keep you pointing down the road frontways...folks have a tendency to sue car markers if they end up goin backwards into something 'cuz they don't really know how to drive....
Appreciate 0