E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 LCI rear lights and tailgate conversion

01-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
bimmaguy
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 730d M Sport

E91 LCI rear lights and tailgate conversion

have searched for this but not much info out there which is SPECIFIC to the E91 tourer rear conversion from pre lci to lci??

any links, tips, tricks to consider and or a step by step guide?

any help or info much appreciated...

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

what exactly do you want to know?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
bimmaguy
Major
Rep

Do the boot lights wires need to be rewired like the e90?

Will the outer lights be plug n play as in will work but only indicators will blink fast or will they strobe too until coded?

Will u need any special wiring looms or can/do u use the existing pre lci one already in place?

Also as mine is 56 plate so will have an FRM 1 so can you use an FRM 2 XE to code it without having to go down the 'bulb delete check route'?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:48 AM   #4
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmaguy View Post
Do the boot lights wires need to be rewired like the e90?

Will the outer lights be plug n play as in will work but only indicators will blink fast or will they strobe too until coded?

Will u need any special wiring looms or can/do u use the existing pre lci one already in place?

Also as mine is 56 plate so will have an FRM 1 so can you use an FRM 2 XE to code it without having to go down the 'bulb delete check route'?
If you speak to Makkan on here he will be able to help. AFAIK he is the only person who has done in on a e91. I dont know if there are any differences between e90/e91
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 05:01 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
If you speak to Makkan on here he will be able to help. AFAIK he is the only person who has done in on a e91. I dont know if there are any differences between e90/e91
Thanks for mentioning.

It is very similar to E90. Outer lights have same wiring.
Its inner parts of the lights that you swap the wiring around. E90 and E91 wiring allocation is slightly different. It took me 15 minutes to figure out right configuration with multi-meter and looking at the lights.

And you need to code your light module. FRM1 can be coded as well if you know what you are doing. Mind you autologic and bmw ask for minimum FRM2 but with right tool you can code FRM1 as well.
Coding is basically disabling lights checks on both FRM1/2.

Also, mind you that E91 is more complicated to work on. My body shop changed the tail gate and I completed coding / wiring.

Good luck with your LCI conversion.
      01-16-2015, 05:30 AM   #6
bimmaguy
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Thanks for mentioning.

Its inner parts of the lights that you swap the wiring around. E90 and E91 wiring allocation is slightly different. It took me 15 minutes to figure out right configuration with multi-meter and looking at the lights.

And you need to code your light module. FRM1 can be coded as well if you know what you are doing. Mind you autologic and bmw ask for minimum FRM2 but with right tool you can code FRM1 as well.

Also, mind you that E91 is more complicated to work on. My body shop changed the tail gate and I completed coding / wiring.

Thanks for info much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
Jamesc27
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Thanks for mentioning.

Hi makkan,

Looking to do my e91 rear LCI conversion, I have the tailgate, inner lights and the retrofit harnesses so I don't have to cut the light wires.

Is it a difficult job? Or does the harness feed out of the Tailgate easily enough to gen be plugged into the new tailgate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
stote
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D Touring

I done this and changed boot door and lights , i was able to code the lights, I didn't use any wire harness adapter just swapped the wires in the plugs, but I strongly recommend using the adaptation harness , painting and matching colour to boot door was a nightmare, but as i did the front lci convertion as well i got a good match on all paint work as the painter did try is best.
Appreciate 0