E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Full system phase 1: components in front doors

07-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Full system phase 1: components in front doors

OK, the good news is, I have started my install!

The bad news is, it has changed somwhat, for reasons I will explain later.

Today, I installed a set of Rainbow Vanadium Cross components into the front doors. They are not playing yet. I plan on running them active, and the amps will be in Phase 2 or 3... so stay tuned.

The Vanadium Cross components use a 10mm.4" midrange that is deeper than I had thought (I was very worried that it would not clear.) I think it is 54mm, but it turns out to fit just fine. Looks like the E90 can take a speaker more than 50mm after all.

There is also a 26mm silk dome tweeter with an integral tuned rear chamber - which makes this tweeter about 1" deep.

The kit comes with passive crossovers but I did not use them. They look like they would be hard to fit in the E90 door (as to most passive crossover boxes.

To mount the woofer, I made some 1/4" MDF rings to match the BMW speaker frames, and I had metal versions of those rings made at a machine shop.

Turns out the door panel is not flat - it curves. So I ended up using gasket foam on the metal rings, and using two rings per speaker. One went up against the back of the door panel with the gasket foam prerssing against the door panel and sealing up despite the curve, then the Vanadium speaker was centered on that ring, then the second ring was pressed over the vanadium speaker's frame, with the gasket foam pressing against the back of the speaker's frame flange.

Here is a pic of the mid without the grille (wanted to make certain to center it on the ring):

The tweeter has an integral flange made out of metal, and there is no way for it to snap into the BMW tweeter tabs. So I cut them out of the way, and mounted the tweeter to the foam insert:

Assembled:

The tweeter's mounting bolt is too long and had to be shortened to fit in the sail location. The foam - plus the thickness of the tweeter compressing the foam - keep the tweeter firmly located.

The tweeter grille in the sail has a layer of foam inserted from behind. I didn't like the idea of the foam - it's been an acoustic problem before - so I removed it. The Rainbow tweeters have a silver edge which would have been visible through the grille, so I masked the tweeter before assembly and painted the flange black.

The sail seems to be shaped as a waveguide for the tweeter after it's backloaded. Interesting shape, glad I pulled the metal grille to look.

While I had the door panel off, I applied some MLV (in this case, VMAX I've had for years) to the back of the door panel and to the outer door sheet metal. Not a ton, just a few pieces - I've believed for years that mass-loaded dampers get 80% of their benefit from covering 20% of the area, and there seems to be more people coming to that opinion now.

I did damp the back of the door pocket and I applied gasket foam to it to see if I could stop any rattles. Car did seem quieter on the way home.

The door pops are very brittle and I will be buying more from the dealer. They are hard to get lined up, but easy to break. Grr. I've taken off hundreds of door panels, and these are real crap. Hondas are tougher.

More posts to come on the amps, the interface/processor, the stealthy subwoofer, and more.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Subscribed, i'm interested to see how those Rainbows sound at the end!
      07-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post

The Vanadium Cross components use a 10mm.4" midrange that is deeper than I had thought (I was very worried that it would not clear.) I think it is 54mm, but it turns out to fit just fine. Looks like the E90 can take a speaker more than 50mm after all.
Very nice... according to Rainbow, the max depth of that 4" driver is 48/44mm depending if you are using its mounting ring or not.

That's the reason they fit so nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
marcello_italy
from italy
Italy
Rep
Drives: 335I

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
use the morel hybri ovaion 4" or focal k2 4"

BMW 335i Spacegrey - Cerchi styling 230 19" - Assetto sportivo M - Tettuccio - Pelle Dakoda Schwarz - Sedili Sportivi - Navi. Pro 16:9 - Adaptive light Control - 306 cv.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Very nice... according to Rainbow, the max depth of that 4" driver is 48/44mm depending if you are using its mounting ring or not.

That's the reason they fit so nice.
Yes, that erroneous spec was why I decided to use them. That dimension is incorrect! My micrometer disagreed... they get the depth of the Sound Line 210 wrong too, not sure why. I was looking at them saying, these LOOK deeper than a Morel. Then I sat them on the table next to the Morel. Then I started cussing.

So yes, this whole project could have been a tremendous fail from the beginning
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcello_italy View Post
use the morel hybri ovaion 4" or focal k2 4"
You can install Focal in my car after you step over my stiffening carcass.

Don't repeat advice I gave you, Marcello

As I said, my original plan - to use Morel - has changed, for reasons I will explain later. I think the Morel Hybrid Ovations are great and I recommend them highly. I am going a different route to see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
marcello_italy
from italy
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
You can install Focal in my car after you step over my stiffening carcass.

Don't repeat advice I gave you, Marcello

As I said, my original plan - to use Morel - has changed, for reasons I will explain later. I think the Morel Hybrid Ovations are great and I recommend them highly. I am going a different route to see how it goes.
hallo i have see the caratteriscti of focal and i must cut the 4 support of the speaker and this have 50 rms
at different
the morel it is bood and ottimal but this is have 100rms and you have been of a big amplifer for this reason i have decided for the focal..

if you have other idea esplane to me.

bye bye

BMW 335i Spacegrey - Cerchi styling 230 19" - Assetto sportivo M - Tettuccio - Pelle Dakoda Schwarz - Sedili Sportivi - Navi. Pro 16:9 - Adaptive light Control - 306 cv.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
marcello_italy
from italy
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
i have test the TEC but are no good for your car.
http://www.bmwpassion.com/forum/show...560&highlight=

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
efunroom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325

Rainbow CS210 is one of my choice. How well it sounds? and what AMP you are using?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Not finished... but the mids sound great as a full-range driver with no tweeter, on the factory amp, over Bluetooth handsfree.

Finally got the 8" under the seat, will write that up next.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Not finished... but the mids sound great as a full-range driver with no tweeter, on the factory amp, over Bluetooth handsfree.

Finally got the 8" under the seat, will write that up next.
Interesting tweeter install! I think I might have to do something similar as I've run into the same problem with my a/d/s px tweeters. Damn things are just too big. My problem will be how easy is it to cut away the mounting flange on a machined aluminum tweeter housing.
      09-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Can you elaborate?

Also, what are your plans for amps, processors, etc. Do you have L7?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I do not have Logic 7. Will elaborate later (for next week or so, will be busy with newborn son : )
Appreciate 0