E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Remote Starter - Anyone heard of "Flash Logic"?

09-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Remote Starter - Anyone heard of "Flash Logic"?

Hi All,

I recently heard about this new remote start system which seems like it's a simple DIY. Has anyone else heard of this company or had experience with them???

Linky --> http://www.flashlogic.com/product/pr...product_id/169

It's getting close to winter and I'm interested in a remote starter this year, plus if I can DIY rather than paying some shop to do it... it would be even better cost/clean installation

- Faz
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Sub'd. I'd like to know as well. I did something similar on my ML and GL where I double press my lock and they start automatically but it bypasses the factory CPU so it doesn't interfere with the cars electronics.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Well on the website they have install instructions too... it seems like you put your key in the car holder and do a special process with a module hooked into the car. Then once that process is done... you bring the module back into your home and connect to it online for the key cloning process (This way you don't need to "burn" a key)?
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

It doesn't really seem worth it to me. I had a remote start on a Lincoln aviator once and barely used it. Though you might use it more, the thought of an aftermarket device like this on an e9x just seems suspect to me
      09-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
thomas88162
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Remote starters usually end up taking their toll on the electrical systems on most cars (especially aftermarket ones). I really don't think it would be a good idea to compromise the electrical system of any car, let alone one that has as complex of one as ours. You can install one if you really want to, but know the risks.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbryce View Post
It doesn't really seem worth it to me. I had a remote start on a Lincoln aviator once and barely used it. Though you might use it more, the thought of an aftermarket device like this on an e9x just seems suspect to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas88162 View Post
Remote starters usually end up taking their toll on the electrical systems on most cars (especially aftermarket ones). I really don't think it would be a good idea to compromise the electrical system of any car, let alone one that has as complex of one as ours. You can install one if you really want to, but know the risks.
Both valid and good points, however, I have actually seen people near me with bimmers who have remote starters and they are fairly successful with them. I work in Tech and it's not really all that complicated to be honest. As more and more manufacturers have built in systems, aftermarket folks are having an easier time now. Especially with software update-able modules on the aftermarket side.

While europeans have anti idling laws, you have to believe that all those german car manf know that at some point there might be a law change or a geographical cultural difference in perception and the ability to retrofit/activate that hidden/hard to get to features do exist. MB has a way to connect to your car, BMW does as well (the newer F series will have 10 year standard tele-service, won't be hard to make an APP which can connect to that system to tell the car to do anything you want it to do). Just like Knight Rider, but without having to talk into a watch (unless Apple brings forth the iWatch modeled after that TV show )
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Food for thought, in nyc its illegal to leave the car idling with the key in the ignition unattended. A remote start is a good alternative.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #8
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman View Post
Food for thought, in nyc its illegal to leave the car idling with the key in the ignition unattended. A remote start is a good alternative.
NJ has a 3 minute rule for idling. But i have never seen it enforced?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
shadowinstallz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

just did the install with the idatalink/flashlogic/omega unit, quick and easy No wires to cut, no extra key lost or hiding anywhere. Less than 15 minutes to install.

Last edited by shadowinstallz; 11-15-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowinstallz View Post
just did the install with the idatalink/flashlogic/omega unit, quick and easy No wires to cut, no extra key lost or hiding anywhere. Less than 15 minutes to install. let me know if you are interested.
Did you install it yourself? I would like to see how this works. How much did the cost come out to... winter is here... so would be nice to get this soon.

- Faz
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
shadowinstallz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yea install myself...but I've been doing installs for many years.....pretty straight forward if ur handy and have done remote starts/alarms prior,module costs roughly $700
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Yea install myself...but I've been doing installs for many years.....pretty straight forward if ur handy and have done remote starts/alarms prior,module costs roughly $700
You can install the viper 5904 with the kibmw and dlpk for half that price. Its not pnp but you only need to connect a few wires to the car. I wouldn't mind not needing to use my extra key for the remote start though.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman View Post
It also seems like an awful idea depending where you are. That said, you CAN start the car without the key (and I believe lock it from outside when you walk away).

Edit: Just looked at the link, looks like the same guys as iDatalink, who make systems that work with BMW and which have been referred to here before.
Edit: In fact, it looks like it might even be the same lineage of hardware.

http://www.idatalink.com/
      11-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
shadowinstallz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
You can install the viper 5904 with the kibmw and dlpk for half that price. Its not pnp but you only need to connect a few wires to the car. I wouldn't mind not needing to use my extra key for the remote start though.
Yes, but your still losing a key with the kibmw., so in essense its probably cheaper...much less time for install and you don't have to lose a key with the idatalink/omega/flashlogic units,
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #15
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Linky please to where i can order this and also get it working with my iphone? I'll attempt the install myself... But if it looks too hard can i swing by your place for some help?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Linky please to where i can order this and also get it working with my iphone? I'll attempt the install myself... But if it looks too hard can i swing by your place for some help?
Shadowinstallz, where did u get the module from? Would you be willing to help me with my install (if i can't figure it out)?

- Faz
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #17
shadowinstallz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Shadowinstallz, where did u get the module from? Would you be willing to help me with my install (if i can't figure it out)?

- Faz
pm me
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #18
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
pm me
Thank you kind sir
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #19
Dawick3don3
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

You guys must have remotes with good range. I would do this but my remote sucks, I have to stand literally right next to the car to open it. The remote start would do nothing for me
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawick3don3 View Post
You guys must have remotes with good range. I would do this but my remote sucks, I have to stand literally right next to the car to open it. The remote start would do nothing for me
Looking to get this for my wife who always leaves her comfort access key in her purse.... I would expect that she would remote start from the iphone before leaving the home/office.

Now my wonderment is about... What if i have multiple vehicles with each having their own remote start + iphone support... Would she be able to choose which car to start??

Do they have a remote start over-ride/valet/mechanic mode so you can disable the remote start temporarily???
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Looking to get this for my wife who always leaves her comfort access key in her purse.... I would expect that she would remote start from the iphone before leaving the home/office.

Now my wonderment is about... What if i have multiple vehicles with each having their own remote start + iphone support... Would she be able to choose which car to start??

Do they have a remote start over-ride/valet/mechanic mode so you can disable the remote start temporarily???
I dont see why you couldn't add multiple vehicles on the app. To be safe you should install a hood pin, unless that module uses the stock one.

The range on the Viper 5904 is advertised as 1 mile. I have my antenna hidden and windows tinted which probably shorten the range a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I dont see why you couldn't add multiple vehicles on the app. To be safe you should install a hood pin, unless that module uses the stock one.

The range on the Viper 5904 is advertised as 1 mile. I have my antenna hidden and windows tinted which probably shorten the range a little bit.
Hummm what would a hood pin do how would it provide safety (from what danger)??
Appreciate 0