E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Oil Cooler Install

08-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
bcoffin23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Competition

Oil Cooler Install

Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2009 335i sedan that is NOT the sport model. So it has no oil cooler. I want to take it to the occasional HPDE/Track day, maybe 8-10 times per year.

With that being said, I know I will need an oil cooler to prevent from going into limp mode after 2+ laps out here in the SoCal desert.

Has anyone here successfully installed an oil cooler and can provide me with a parts list? Thanks!
      08-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
johnmyster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 n52

RealOEM is great for looking up parts, diagrams, etc.

I recently added a oil/water heat exchanger on my N52. Same strategy (and most of the same parts) would apply to your N54...else, you're going oil/air.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412435
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Sport or non sport has nothing to do with oil cooler or not. It could be non sport and have it if that is how the first owner ordered it. Search the forum for used parts. Also look into getting a custom tune to help with temperatures
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
bcoffin23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Sport or non sport has nothing to do with oil cooler or not. It could be non sport and have it if that is how the first owner ordered it. Search the forum for used parts. Also look into getting a custom tune to help with temperatures
It for sure does not have the cooler.

I am running MHD stage 1. I know I can adjust their maps to keep temps down (at least I think I know).

But ultimately if that car is on the track, it is going to need something to prevent oil temps from quickly skyrocketing to the 300s.

Im looking more for a parts list, and someone who has done this before.
      08-20-2017, 03:17 AM   #5
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Since you're using MHD definitely set the coolant temp to sport mode or track mode depending what you feel is necessary. I thought all 2009 came with an oil cooler I guess I'm mistaken. I was looking into helping a friend add an oil cooler to his 335i that didn't come with one. Your first option is to get the OEM one which you could either buy new or pull from a junk car. Off the top of my head you'll need the oil filter housing with the thermostat plate on it, the pair of oil lines, and the actual cooling core.

If you wanted to go with something beefier which if you're tracking this would be a good idea I believe the easiest way is to source a oil filter housing with thermostat again either new or junk, I saw some on ebay for ~100. Then I personally was looking at using the thermostat delete plate that several companies sell I think the best price I found was from RBturbo. Then from the plate you'll need to run lines so the best way would be to use AN fittings and braided lines probably size 10AN. You'll then need an external thermostat in these lines Improved Racing sells really good ones which I'm using for my transmission cooler. Then you'll need more line from the thermostat to the cooling core. Setrab makes good coolers, I believe someone(sean54 or something like that) was able to fit a 33(?) row cooler in his car but it was massive and barely fit. I think 24-28 row is more common but this you'll have to decide for yourself. The trickiest part of this process will be properly measuring and routing the oil lines and making the lines if you haven't used AN fittings with braided lines before it can be a bit tricky just watch some videos on it. You'll also have to decide where you want different angle turns for the AN fittings so just be sure to map out what how you want it to run before you start ordering parts as the fittings can get pricey. Also you will have to make a bracket to hold the cooling core somehow this again will be up to your creativity just get some sheet metal or even some metal with bends already in it and start playing around with different designs.

The oil to coolant retrofit above is a cool and different approach but it will not be able to control the temperatures when on the track and since you live in California the warming up oil is a moot point. But I never knew about that option it looks a lot like the stock transmission cooler 335i AT come with.
Appreciate 0