E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brushed Aluminium No Longer Available - Help Needed !

10-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #45
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
You are right, the Aluminium trim is real, the "titanium" trim is the coated plastic.

The previous comment about the durability of the Audi trim is because it has a pattern on it that hides scratches etc. Mine has worn quite well. The BMWs is brushed and would show every mark.
This is not completely true.... the Audi trim is solid aluminum. The BMW E90 is galvanic- and I quote: The material has a plastic core, with a true metallic surface applied galvanically in several layers and a clearcoat on top to protect against corrosion. The E46 "cube" is solidaluminum just as the Audi. If anyone has any other info that would be great but this is what I have been told and have found about the E90, and the reason it is so fragile. Try and scratch some suspension components... they are aluminum (not that easy )
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2005, 06:04 AM   #46
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
This is not completely true.... the Audi trim is solid aluminum. The BMW E90 is galvanic- and I quote: The material has a plastic core, with a true metallic surface applied galvanically in several layers and a clearcoat on top to protect against corrosion. The E46 "cube" is solidaluminum just as the Audi. If anyone has any other info that would be great but this is what I have been told and have found about the E90, and the reason it is so fragile. Try and scratch some suspension components... they are aluminum (not that easy )
The aluminum trim on the E90 is real aluminium, its not coated plastic, as its ice cold to touch. Its the same material as the cube trim from the E46, just brushed instead. JamieA is correct!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2005, 07:34 AM   #47
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_d
The aluminum trim on the E90 is real aluminium, its not coated plastic, as its ice cold to touch. Its the same material as the cube trim from the E46, just brushed instead. JamieA is correct!
The "metal" on the key fob, and shifter are also galvanic and guess what; they get ice cold as well since they do contain metal, I do not think coldness is a good judge of composition.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2005, 07:56 AM   #48
sergiodimarco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330I

Quote:
Brushed aluminum trim is real, I beleive the plastic core with metalic surface is the interior door handles, and possibly the stick shift tim.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2005, 08:16 AM   #49
darkside
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335

I called my salesperson and he looked into it and could not find a bulletin to the effect that the aluminum is no longer an option. I would think BMW would make this very clear, as it is dissappointing to go on their website and configure and order and then later be told it is not available. Guess I will find out soon. What does the titanium look like, and is this being offered now as an alternative? Does the titanium look like aluminum, or is it the grey type trim in my e46 M3?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2005, 08:57 AM   #50
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10

Quote:
The "metal" on the key fob, and shifter are also galvanic and guess what; they get ice cold as well since they do contain metal, I do not think coldness is a good judge of composition.
The internal door release levers are galvanic but the bushed aluminium trim is metal. The trim is cooler to touch when compared with the door levers. Furthermore, I have tried to chip at the edge of a door trim and its a soft solid metal which is consistent with the properties of aluminium.

Last edited by carl_d; 10-17-2005 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #51
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_d
The internal door release levers are galvanic but the bushed aluminium trim is metal. The trim is cooler to touch when compared with the door levers. Furthermore, I have tried to chip at the edge of a door trim and its a soft solid metal which is consistent with the properties of aluminium.
Yup, Carl_d is right I reckon - as far as I know, the galvanic bits are the door handles, stick shifter etc - but the aluminium is real. It may be very thin aluminium (which is why it dents so easily) but it IS aluminium. I have chips in mine where the seatbelt buckle has hit the door several times and there's no plastic underneath.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #52
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

From a reliable source in BMW, BMW just released a bulletin to dealers stating that there supplier is having a difficult time keeping up with the demand for the aluminum trim and that all cars for stock must be ordered with wood or they will be delayed several months, cars already currentlu sold are a priority and will not be delayed, future sold cars with aluminum may be delayed.

So it was not a load of BS afterall. They are having supply chain issues. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 11:45 AM   #53
dpcdomino
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FX35

Joy....if the delays are too long, I may just wait for the Coupe....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #54
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Will check how many Alu trim cars there are at the factory here tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #55
chrissal1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Have fun at the factory. Will they let you guys take pictures?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 11:55 AM   #56
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissal1
Have fun at the factory. Will they let you guys take pictures?
No pics

See my thread about questions for the factory if you have any
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 02:54 PM   #57
MMVI
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 something

Take it from me, UK based where Matt Titanium is standard.
Is horrid, upgrade it, or regret it....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 03:05 PM   #58
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I can't really think of any questions, but I hope you have a great time on your tour!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #59
lemon_dakota
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport E91

Well after not being available for a while in the UK the aluminium trim is now available for all cars built in the new year and the M-Sport models will go back to having the aluminium trim as standard.
And no I don't know why it was unavailable for a few months!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2005, 03:35 PM   #60
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
Oh you biatch!

I am 35 for the record.

I actually wanted Aluminium because I hate wood. But I was too polite to say - so I will say it bluntly now that you have called me a grandpa - that BMW aluminium and titanium finishes look cheap and tacky and have no style. Unlike Audi aluminium trim which looks gorgeous, and is what I have in my current Audi and would have had in the new one.

I don't like wood as a rule and didn't want to get it in the BM but it was the lesser of two evils.
I'm with you on this one. I'm 26, and my gf of the same age both agree that the aluminum looked kinda cheap. I initially thought I wanted aluminum when I saw it in the brochures, but I insisted on seeing it in person before I ordered, and drove to another dealership just to see it. Boy, I was let down... Also, the dealer showed me how easily scratches can be made and show on aluminum trim by pulling his fingernail across the grain of the metal. I've seen metal in Benzos and they look much nicer.

Here comes the blasting...

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #61
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
No aphall, I agree 100%. The BMW aluminum trim is very cheap and cheap looking. I had aluminum in a Benz and it was great. It was much heavier guage and had a herringbone pattern on it that made look nice and also stronger.

Wood for me.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2005, 05:01 PM   #62
Yangster
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphall
I'm 26, and my gf of the same age both agree that the aluminum looked kinda cheap.

[edit]

I certainly won't "blast" you for voicing your opinion, but I will say that I strongly disagree -- I love the look and feel of the aluminum trim and think it is in keeping with the sporty look and feel of the car. That having been said, I only think it works with black or gray leather and I will concede that it is easily scratched.

When I took delivery of my E90 (on 11/14), my dealer told me that due to the shortage, even customers that had already placed orders would not be able to get the aluminum trim and that they were having to call those customers to let them know. If I had gotten that phone call, I'd have been very unhappy!

325xi
Steptronic / Arctic Metallic / Black Leather / Aluminum Trim

Last edited by Yangster; 01-02-2006 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:40 AM   #63
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

This is how the titanium trim looks like:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 12:53 PM   #64
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325i titanium silver spk

Titanium looks cheap. Aluiminum is much nicer, it shines more. Here in Canada we have to pay extra for the aluminum trim. At first glance they both look alike but when you sit inside you notice the difference. Titanium interior does not feel upscale. Unfortunatly with black interior you cannot put wood.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:08 PM   #65
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphall
I'm with you on this one. I'm 26, and my gf of the same age both agree that the aluminum looked kinda cheap. I initially thought I wanted aluminum when I saw it in the brochures, but I insisted on seeing it in person before I ordered, and drove to another dealership just to see it. Boy, I was let down... Also, the dealer showed me how easily scratches can be made and show on aluminum trim by pulling his fingernail across the grain of the metal. I've seen metal in Benzos and they look much nicer.

As a pervious owner of both MB and BMW vehicles I have to agree. In my opinion the BMW aluminum is nice but not nearly as nice as MB's.

I wish BMW would offer black wood (lacquered or otherwise) in the 3 series. It's an option for the individual program but I don't want to pay thousands just for a different wood trim.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 02:17 PM   #66
fllpunk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 REX

Aluminum trim on your own like this???

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...24&hg=51&fg=95
Appreciate 0