E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > GPS Recommendations

04-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
2Hip
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sport AW

GPS Recommendations

I'm looking to purchase a robust GPS unit for the 335i I'm picking up this week. I've searched around the site for clean installations and have some very good ideas on how I want to mount it but now I need and idea of a unit that will fit my needs. I'm hoping you all have some first hand knowledge based on my requirements.

I'd like the following features:
- 5" screen
- Ability to edit the startup to display the BMW logo
- Change the menu and other colors to match the BMW dash (orange and I believe red)
- Text to speech for street names
- If possible spoken input of destination
- the ability to mount to a powered clip. I would have the power professionally installed and run to the clip so the unit can be removed easily. (This is a big one as I'd like a clean install)
- Bluetooth with a good speaker. (This is another biggie as I don't want to use the auxiliary to the car speakers for phone calls.)
- Free map updates
- Free traffic

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

If you are looking for an OE style integration, I'd suggest the Dynavin unit which uses Windows CE and iGo GPS Software. This software is downloadable so you can update the maps regularly at little or no cost, there are several forums that post the updated maps regularly.

In addition, you are getting more than just GPS functionality (Bluetooth, iPod connection, SD Micro Card, optional back up camera, OE style touch screen and DVD playback).

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
2Hip
Private
Rep

Nick,
Definitely looked into this but my car is an early '07 build and believe it has the Logic7. My understanding is the Dynavin won't work with this system. The Dynavin would be my choice if it works the sound system. So far the only way I've seen to determine if it has Logic7 is to see if there is an equalizer button on the head unit. Could you please confirm if my understandings are correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

The Dynavin system does not work with Logic 7 so all the speakers will play at the same intensity rather than the surround sound you have now. However, I have seen people try a work around that involves installing the factory headunit in the trunk to keep it working. I am not sure if this does end up working or what is involved however.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graduated to a 335i

Any aftermarket headunit will not work with Logic7 without a workaround. Logic7 is an optical system.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
2Hip
Private
Rep

My research has shown that I will need to look for a portable unit. Anyone have any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
2Hip
Private
Rep

Bump for any recommendations.
Appreciate 0