E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > double din coding info

10-10-2014, 05:10 AM   #1
RideForeign
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Exclamation double din coding info

I was looking into getting a double din for my 07 328xi but I had heard from different people that there are some small issues with the main computer unit for the stereo which might have to be repositioned into the trunk to not lose door chimes and what not. Was looking to find out if there is anything specific I need to do other then the installation which does not seem a hassle to do. Any help is appreciated if I do end up doing this depending on any info you kind people give me I will post step by step process I did and the aftermath of the procedure.

Thank you e90 ppl
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
There is a ton of info already on this topic. I suggest you search.

In short, it all depends on the stock system you have to start with. I had no issues with my double din install, did not retain my factory head unit (not relocated etc) and all chimes still work. I started with base audio.
      10-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
RideForeign
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Looks great thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
There is a ton of info already on this topic. I suggest you search.

In short, it all depends on the stock system you have to start with. I had no issues with my double din install, did not retain my factory head unit (not relocated etc) and all chimes still work. I started with base audio.
+1 it is difficult to make a DIY since its different for every car depending on options.

Earlier builds(06-07 I believe) have a seperate speaker in the dash for chimes but later builds need a different harness to keep the chimes and also those with pdc need a different harness. Another option is to use the stock headunit for chimes and pdc if you are relocating it(I didn't).

If you have BMW assist you'll need to relocate the headunit for that to work.

If you have logic 7 you'll need to replace the amp. If you have hifi you need to use the RCA outputs from the headunit instead of the speaker level outputs.

The connects2 harness for pdc does not work for amplified systems(chimes will be very loud). The solution for that is to keep the rear speakers unamplified or use the stock headunit to power a seperate speaker(s) for pdc and chimes only.

Last edited by bmw325i; 10-11-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0