E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The Death of modified/modifying cars!

08-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #23
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh
If I read it right, it only applies to Classic cars only?
No, classic cars are potentially becoming exempt from mot testing altogether, while modern day cars undergo much more scrutiny.
Frightening actually, I heard about this on the radio about a month ago but they focused the discussion more on the topic of classics and how anyone can drive their rusted death trap around on a Sunday providing its over 30 years old.
I could remove the sorn on my classic, but would need to strip £thousands of newly fitted mods..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:10 AM   #24
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
I can imagine it being an absolute nightmare on day 1.

All insurance policies for modified vehicles immediately become invalid because the vehicle is illegal. Insurance companies will need to pay back premiums for the remainder of the period IF the vehicle is put back to standard - then who will be responsible for picking up the 'Admin' fee etc?

Net result = outrage.

MOT garages will need to know 1,000,000 times more about cars than they currently do - for example how can they check for my JB4 without opening the ECU, or someone elses Remap without a reader? How can they tell my aftermarket downpipes which (even on a ramp with the undertray off) look fairly similar to the OEM ones.

Net result = outrage.

When this law comes in (if it does) how will the country cope with the number of stealthily modified cars being sold as 'standard' and then being driven, insured and ultimately crashed by unsuspecting people who thought they had bought a car which was legit? How will they sort the real victims from people like those on this forum who know their car is modified but try to play the 'victim' in the event that there is an issue?

Net result = outrage.

I could come up with probably 20 more similar scenarios. This just can't be allowed to happen.

Matt
I dare say if it was implemented it would have to be phased in gradually for models from a certain year. Still be a fcuking sad day if it happens. Not just for the people in the industry losing their jobs, but the fact the government has screwed the motorist once more.

In Belgium there is a lot of undisclosed cars with tuned engines, which are less obvious the Plod

Last edited by creepy coupe; 08-23-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #25
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I Belgium there is a lot of undisclosed cars with tuning engine, which are less obvious the Plod
Just a swift half at lunch, was it?
      08-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #26
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
I can imagine it being an absolute nightmare on day 1.

All insurance policies for modified vehicles immediately become invalid because the vehicle is illegal. Insurance companies will need to pay back premiums for the remainder of the period IF the vehicle is put back to standard - then who will be responsible for picking up the 'Admin' fee etc?

Net result = outrage.

MOT garages will need to know 1,000,000 times more about cars than they currently do - for example how can they check for my JB4 without opening the ECU, or someone elses Remap without a reader? How can they tell my aftermarket downpipes which (even on a ramp with the undertray off) look fairly similar to the OEM ones.

Net result = outrage.

When this law comes in (if it does) how will the country cope with the number of stealthily modified cars being sold as 'standard' and then being driven, insured and ultimately crashed by unsuspecting people who thought they had bought a car which was legit? How will they sort the real victims from people like those on this forum who know their car is modified but try to play the 'victim' in the event that there is an issue?

Net result = outrage.

I could come up with probably 20 more similar scenarios. This just can't be allowed to happen.

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I dare say if it was implemented it would have to be phased in gradually for models from a certain year. Still be a fcuking sad day if it happens. Not just for the people in the industry losing their jobs, but the fact the government has screwed the motorist once more.

I Belgium there is a lot of undisclosed cars with tuning engine, which are less obvious the Plod
It makes you wonder where the main drive originated from in these changes to what we currently have (MOT),and whether there is a hidden agenda somewhere buried amongst the new legislation (should it become law).

On the face of it it has come from the European commision,but the new laws could well have come from the car industry,or a collective of manufacturers from a specific member (EC) country.
By using some powerful lobbying (from that country) of other member countries,a change in the laws could be used in rather an underhand manner to bring about change,which ultimately benefits the country where the lobbying started from.

Some food for thought:

Of the 27 EC member countries, which is the dominant partner?

Of the 27 EC member countries, which has the largest car manufacturing industry?

Of the 27 EC member countries,which country manufactures the most popular marques of car that are generally favoured by the modding fraternity?

Which country of the 27 members was the originator of 'TUV' approval?

Of the 27 EC member countries, which country will benefit most in financial terms should the changes in the law go ahead?

Of the 27 EC member countries, which countries car manufacturer/s have been consistent in making changes to their cars ECU's so there more difficult/impossible to make changes to?

Of the 27 EC member countries, which countries car manufacturer/s has been actively looking for signs of modifications to the the cars ECU?

Of the 27 EC member countries, which country has a car manufacturer that has over the last 18mths been developing and selling as options/after purchase add ons, which are highly likely to be the main components which will be affected by the changes in the laws?
These components/changes will be unaffected by the new laws as they originate from the car manufacturer and will be TUV approved,components/changes such as the following:

Performance upgrades (Revised map)
Performance Brakes (BBK)
Performance exhausts
Performance suspension
Performance body parts/panels

Clue:
Which country came 6th in the medal table of the 2012 Olympics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a thought,I could of course be wrong.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #27
yeti racing
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 330d M Sport

You missed one........

Which Country we beat all them years ago in '76 and lived off the back of ever since!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #28
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Why, what happened in '76?
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #29
yeti racing
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Why, what happened in '76?
I was born........

'66!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #30
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I was going to say, I don't remember it...
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #31
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Just a swift half at lunch, was it?
Fook knows what happend there
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #32
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Gute nacht....
      08-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #33
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M-Sport LCI

Just in case anyone's still panicking about this as i was yesterday, I have since done some reading (including the regulation itself and a lot of PH forum debate between members with far more legal understanding than myself) and it seems (to me) that the sky is not quite falling on modding culture as a lot of websites are making out.. I feel much better than I did yesterday morning and I'd suggest anyone worrying read up as i did. For those of you that CBA The proposal seemingly calls for a uniform safety test throughout the EU to maintain safety standards of all cars relevant to their year or manufacture, so potentially stricter than our current MOT but remember many countries do not currently have an MOT test or similar and this seems to be the issue being addressed. Also nowhere within the Regulation Scope does it refer to type approval for the vehicle or for any components so as I understand it a ban on aftermarket parts, third party mods or otherwise is not being suggested at all, only that modifications / repairs be regulated to a level of safety relevant for the age of the vehicle, worst case we are looking at a VCA/TUV type test or stricter MOTs. Unless you plan to start removing your airbags as your next mod or changing other safety / environmental equipment then I think it's doubtful anyone will be effected, if this hopeful interpretation is actually the case then the only popular mod that I can think of that will be a worry is dpf removal and major exhaust modifications.
Appreciate 0