E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Difference between vehicle inspection and check?

10-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Difference between vehicle inspection and check?

HI Guys

I had my first service last month 09/10.

In the Idrive it says the next vehicle check is in 09/12, which is two years from the service. That's correct. However, underneath the date it says 'in 28,000 miles'. I thought services were every 20,000 miles?

Also, it states the car needs a vehicle inspection at 05/12. What is a vehicle inspection? How does this differ from a check?

Thanks

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

This looks similar to the thread that I started yesterday. The £90 that I was quoted is for the "vehicle check," as stated on the print-out that is obtained when your key is inserted into the dealers reader.

It's the check that relates to the mileage countdown every time you turn the ignition on.

My MOT is due at more or less the same time, so surely most of the check will be covered by the MOT?

Suppose that I don't want to line the stealers pockets for what seems to me to a straightforward bit of inspection work.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

check, thay look at the car and say "checked" that will be £75 please, inspection they look round it and say "inspected" that will be £200 please, cant see they do anything else except reset the service indicator!!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

vehicle inspection is the mot. you can reset that yourself, nowt to do with bmw.

vehicle check is a bmw service item, nothing to do with oil etc, they just check the car for about £100, just look at it on the ramp.

other services like oil, filters etc are all listed separately on you idrive.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
My MOT is due at more or less the same time, so surely most of the check will be covered by the MOT?

Suppose that I don't want to line the stealers pockets for what seems to me to a straightforward bit of inspection work.
MOT is nothing to do with servicing.

its a statutory test for all cars and is best not done by bmw, better get it done by 3rd party.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

They seem to just charge the standard £54 for the MOT and my thoughts were that if anything is wrong it may be covered under warranty and could be done there and then, perhaps.

Also, if a technician (mechanic) is crawling around the car carrying out the MOT, surely there is not much extra work involved to complete the vehicle check. IMO, there is a constant amount of work involved in ANY garage activity; booking in, car to bay, ramps up etc............. If they are doing the MOT, how much extra time will be taken to complete the vehicle check?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Ah, MOT, thanks for clearing that up

Cheers.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
They seem to just charge the standard £54 for the MOT and my thoughts were that if anything is wrong it may be covered under warranty and could be done there and then, perhaps.

Also, if a technician (mechanic) is crawling around the car carrying out the MOT, surely there is not much extra work involved to complete the vehicle check. IMO, there is a constant amount of work involved in ANY garage activity; booking in, car to bay, ramps up etc............. If they are doing the MOT, how much extra time will be taken to complete the vehicle check?
It doesn't work like that I'm afraid, the MOT has to be seperate to all other work. By law garages have to have separate MOT bays (you even have to park in separate MOT spaces) They cannot carry out anything other than the MOT at that time.

If it fails the MOT then it's off the ramp and outside with it. They won't 'fix' anything unless it's a minor tweak or adjustment they can do quickly, anthing more has to be done separately (and charged separately) and re-tested.

Also its unlikely to fail the MOT on anything which is under warranty TBH.

So any BMW service item or 'inspection' will be a complete new task. If they did what you suggested that might save you some money - so they would never do it for sure!!

That's why you're better of getting it MOT'd at kwik fit or somewhere independant. If it fails, you can choose where to get it fixed (might be under warranty, who knows). It's pretty unlikely to fail TBH if its been well maintained.

Just get it done a month early, they can still post date it to the end of the 3 years.
Appreciate 0