E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Anyone near Blacksburg, VA have VRSF exhaust

08-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Anyone near Blacksburg, VA have VRSF exhaust

Hey all,

Looking for someone near southwest VA who has a vrsf exhaust installed. Am considering getting one but would love to hear one in person if possible.

If you do, PM me and we can set something up!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
sprygsxr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: <LCI E90 SGM 335xi FBO

Im not close enough for a listen but i will say that is does sound very nice.

Im not that happy with the fit of the product but i guess you get what you pay for. If your paying someone to install it than you shouldn't have to worry about that anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
votoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I have one on my car. It sounds great, I'll actually be selling it shortly because I might be getting rid of my car. So here's a few pics, sorry no sound clips yet. As soon as I get the stock one back on I'll be posting it for sale. Should be listed for a fair price.

And as far as the fitment goes, if you install it correctly there are no issues. check the pics

08-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by votoc View Post
I have one on my car. It sounds great, I'll actually be selling it shortly because I might be getting rid of my car. So here's a few pics, sorry no sound clips yet. As soon as I get the stock one back on I'll be posting it for sale. Should be listed for a fair price.

And as far as the fitment goes, if you install it correctly there are no issues. check the pics

I can't stress proper install enough with a v-band or slip fit exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
ejlovo09
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i x-drive sedan

Quote:

dont mean to thread jack but if you decide to sell im very interested in buying the exhaust off you and i near by.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I can't stress proper install enough with a v-band or slip fit exhaust.
Yes but you can't use the v-brace. VSRF should make a brace or a set of spacers that isn't ridiculous or redesign the exhaust to actually fit the car. I really like this design and want to buy one but am frustrated by the ridiculous fitment.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
votoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Yes but you can't use the v-brace. VSRF should make a brace or a set of spacers that isn't ridiculous or redesign the exhaust to actually fit the car. I really like this design and want to buy one but am frustrated by the ridiculous fitment.
I'm confused by what you mean about a set of spacers that aren't ridiculous. As I showed in my pics the fitment isn't an issue at all. Proper alignment of the pipes and clamps is key.
      08-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
No 3.5" exhaust will fit a brace without spacers. Not the HPF, not the Corsa, not even the AMS 3". Not one.

The fitment isn't ridiculous, it sits as close to the chassis as it can without rattling/rubbing. When a back yard mechanic fails the install, the product should not be blamed.

I personally don't run the v-brace on our shop car, I couldn't notice a difference with it on or off the car. We have individuals with this exhaust who TRACK their cars who haven't noticed any difference in chassis stiffening with the removal of the brace. If you do want to run the brace, just use washers which essentially are spacers/shims.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

Quote:
I'm confused by what you mean about a set of spacers that aren't ridiculous. As I showed in my pics the fitment isn't an issue at all. Proper alignment of the pipes and clamps is key.
You're pix showed no brace.

When I said the spacers were ridiculous I was referring to the pic floating around of the 200+ spacers used to install the v-brace. That's ridiculous. I requested that VSRF make a spacer that wasn't ridiculous. I believe if they did, guys would spend more time adjusting the exhaust properly to fit the provided spacer setup. That washer pic is the only example I've seen of the exhaust with the v-brace.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
votoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here's a pile of the parts I removed. Are any of these the v-brace? Maybe I don't have one cause I have a non-sport?

09-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
sprygsxr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: <LCI E90 SGM 335xi FBO

This big plate with the 8 screws are your chassis bracing that have to be removed. From my research its either the e92 or e93 that has the "V" coming from the rear of the car to this big metal plate that we have. Im not the most concerned with this removal but installing something in its place would be kinda nice.

The fitment issue I had the most trouble with has nothing to do with the "V Band" style of this exhaust. I have AR Design catless downpipes installed on my car. Even after loosening the clamps at the turbos the very first piece of this exhaust (the two into one coupler) is the worst fitting piece of this entire system. I cant even express how much stress is being put on my poor turbos from having to compress together to bolt up to this piece. Im surprised it doesnt leak. To top it off I had to take an air hammer to the metal heat shield AND chassis to keep it from rubbing the body at idle.

Im happy with the overall result and sound of this exhaust but for roughly $200 savings my money may have been better spent elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That's an issue specific to XI cars with aftermarket DP's.

If you look at your downpipes, they don't exactly meet up at the same factory location which is why the fitment issues at those pipes persist. The factory mid pipes are two separate pieces which allow quite a bit of movement in comparison to the one piece mid pipe style which we use. I'm working on a solution for that problem as we speak.
Appreciate 0