E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Sprint Booster - drive-by-wire throttle modification

08-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #23
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
This seems like the dumbest mod on the face of the planet for a few hundred dollars. Everyone says, it feels so much better, no lag etc..

Why dont you just press the pedal down more without this mod? It will do the same thing, cost you less, and give your leg a bit more of a workout

Its not like this thing is going to give you 200% throttle...thats what we call, physically impossible
      08-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #24
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
Seems like it does what a sport button does. Kind of useless in a turbo application with the inherent lag... Great for NA engines and supercharged AMG cars
I so agree with this.
It's just like the sport button on the e46 M3. I hated that button!
I can imagine puttin gthis on and having the throttle being too sensitive.

the sport button on the M3 was just frutrating.
WOT is WOT regardless if you have one of these things or not.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 02:14 AM   #25
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
This seems like the dumbest mod on the face of the planet for a few hundred dollars. Everyone says, it feels so much better, no lag etc..

Why dont you just press the pedal down more without this mod? It will do the same thing, cost you less, and give your leg a bit more of a workout

Its not like this thing is going to give you 200% throttle...thats what we call, physically impossible
well said...cant stand reading bullshit anymore.

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 03:00 AM   #26
stefano7171
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i Msport

Guys,

instead of talking nonsense about something you did not try, have a go with it and then decide.
I was given one by a friend to try it, so I could give it back if I did not like it. It is not that I am trying to defend a silly purchase.

Simply, after having installed it, I could not do without it, and blamed myself for not installing it before.
Even chief of Service dept of the local BMW dealer who tried the car said that the combination of the SB plus the Procede made the car the best tuned vehicle he tried in a while.

Butt dyno sometimes is more impotant than anything else. like driving an open topped 335 e93 is ten times more thrilling than driving the e92 335 (i tried several of both), even if tecnically slower, feels so much involving!
      08-29-2008, 03:13 AM   #27
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano7171 View Post
Guys,

instead of talking nonsense about something you did not try, have a go with it and then decide.
I was given one by a friend to try it, so I could give it back if I did not like it. It is not that I am trying to defend a silly purchase.

Simply, after having installed it, I could not do without it, and blamed myself for not installing it before.
Even chief of Service dept of the local BMW dealer who tried the car said that the combination of the SB plus the Procede made the car the best tuned vehicle he tried in a while.

Butt dyno sometimes is more impotant than anything else. like driving an open topped 335 e93 is ten times more thrilling than driving the e92 335 (i tried several of both), even if tecnically slower, feels so much involving!

If Shiv releases a map with the throttle response increased (giving the 100% of throttle in the first 25% distance) you will actually have the same result...FOR FREE.

Jb2 had also an increased throttle response (i thing it was giving all the throttle in the first 50% of pedal distance).

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 03:13 AM   #28
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Guys,

I dont doubt it feels good to have more throttle right away, my argument is, just get a heavier foot and its going to be the same. This mod only pisses your mileage away by eliminating the ability/ease of giving the car partial throttle when its not needed to wail on it. I can very well lay my foot into the pedal as I desire to eliminate lag. I dont need a multiplier effect on the pedal to make me feel like its going faster....I'm pretty good at modulating throttle...sure the car will feel faster when you have the sprint booster, its because you're always laying into it more than you normally would...just try slamming into that nice pedal on your own more often, I guarantee itll feel the same
      08-29-2008, 07:04 AM   #29
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

I agree, I think it basically recreates that first generation piggy's feeling with throttle being the on/off switch. Imo it screws up this feeling of boost-to-throttle mapping in newer tunes V3/JB3 that creates this silky smooth power delivery.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #30
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG View Post
Imo it screws up this feeling of boost-to-throttle mapping in newer tunes V3/JB3 that creates this silky smooth power delivery.[/FONT]
+1000

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #31
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Shiv is, if i read correctly, bring this throttle mapping feature out in 3.1.

I'd personally like a bit less travel than the current V3 needs only because I got so used to driving 1.47 where it was like a switch.. I suppose I'd map 10 to 20% more oomph per distance travelled if that makes sense ?

SJ
      08-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #32
stefano7171
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
I dont doubt it feels good to have more throttle right away, my argument is, just get a heavier foot and its going to be the same. This mod only pisses your mileage away by eliminating the ability/ease of giving the car partial throttle when its not needed to wail on it. I can very well lay my foot into the pedal as I desire to eliminate lag. I dont need a multiplier effect on the pedal to make me feel like its going faster....I'm pretty good at modulating throttle...sure the car will feel faster when you have the sprint booster, its because you're always laying into it more than you normally would...just try slamming into that nice pedal on your own more often, I guarantee itll feel the same
Guys, your comments are partially true. Vishnu told me that the sprintbooster would have spoiled their "smoothing job", but, missing the Procede V1 feeling like Serjames pointed out, I went for it anyway.
I considered that I either drive like I stole the car, or like an old man.
Highway: cruise control on, no need to use the accelerator. City commuting in traffic: use little throttle, Sprintbooster does not change things.
Spirited driving: real immediate boost, no rpm drops in shifts, amazing. I am sure is not just a feeling. It is not that I have a dumb right foot. But when you open abruptly without the SB, the car reacts slower. The feeling of the Sb is not only that you gain all the time spent by your foot to go from 30% accelerator to 100%, but also the speed of the reaction of the car to that "100".

Saying that your right foot is fast as the SB, is like those guys that 20 years ago said that the Anti lock brakes were not useful for them as they were very skilled brakers!

Slight off topic: an Italian car mag made a recent test where M. Schumacher was to drive a Ferrari Scuderia on a certain track and a Journalist (with "normal" driving skills) drove the same car after him. The difference was only 3 secs, showing how good the car is in the hands of any driver.
However the big difference between the two drive was the accelerator curve: for Schumacher was always on or off, unlike the other guy. Therefore, if you are not a pilot, but you want to drive like one, everyhting that helps the "on/off" effect, is welcome!

Finally, note that the SB for steps is not advised if your car is tuned (controls triggered too often) and that the step version is less "aggressive" than the 6MT version. The two can be however "swapped". I have a 6MT with steptronic SB and I consider it already very aggressive.
If instead you put a manual SB on a step car, you'd better turn the contols off and be a good drifter
      08-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #33
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

stefano,

b4 putting on the SB, did you have any of the 29.2 turbo lag that's been discussed on this forum?

Also, do you think the AT SB is the way to go on a 6MT? I can't stand the lag and I was thinking the more aggressive 6MT SB would be better. Have you tried the 6MT version?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #34
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Question I guess you haven't tried it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
Seems like it does what a sport button does. Kind of useless in a turbo application with the inherent lag... Great for NA engines and supercharged AMG cars
I never judge things by the cover. Try it and report back your findings. It has a huge effect on the 335i. Not saying you'll like it or worthy it or not, but there is arguemnet about the effect it has on your car. I'll leave the details out as that has been discussed before, but I think you it to yourself to try it, then make a conclussion as to what it does or doesn't do.
      08-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #35
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

I've had the SprintBooster on all my cars and love it. It does not decrease your gas mileage and the car feels like a rocket. Don't knock it till you try it. Everyone that I know that has tried it loves it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #36
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
I have it on my Procede V3 6MT e93 335́, It is really cool.
The car is much more responsive and also when you change gear the rpm drop is more limited, therefore the shifting appears to be much quicker.
No turbo lag whatsoever, you think you want to go and instantly the cars leaps forward, like on the new M3 when you push the sport button.
are you saying this mod changed your gear ratios as well. haha damn thats alot for a couple hundred bucks!
      04-01-2009, 04:38 AM   #37
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

the only thing im concern about the sprintbooster is that, would it increase the shifts speed/lag when your in manual mode for steptronic?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 05:04 AM   #38
Andras
Bodhisattva
Italy
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 MY07

Talking

Quote:
I have it on my Procede V3 6MT e93 335́, It is really cool.
The car is much more responsive and also when you change gear the rpm drop is more limited, therefore the shifting appears to be much quicker.
No turbo lag whatsoever, you think you want to go and instantly the cars leaps forward, like on the new M3 when you push the sport button.
Who's the badass which sold you that?

335I E92 6AT - V3.2 - GRUPPE M - FMI - RR DOWNPIPES - AE EXHAUST HFC
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #39
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
stefano,

b4 putting on the SB, did you have any of the 29.2 turbo lag that's been discussed on this forum?

Also, do you think the AT SB is the way to go on a 6MT? I can't stand the lag and I was thinking the more aggressive 6MT SB would be better. Have you tried the 6MT version?
maybe i missed something, but if you have lag (29.2) why don´t you just get the 32.1 bmw lagfix ????????

btw, i think the SB is the dumbest thing ever... but if the OP likes it - live and let live.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #40
M_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

it's me who first introduced this little thing to mbworld guys! at first everybody knocked it off but once they tried, they shut their mouths off and kept grinning.

i hv it on my 335 as well, not as dramatic as on amg cars but still there's a difference, less lag and boost simply comes faster and sooner (e.g.: light throttle, around 7psi@2000rpm on jb3 map6)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #41
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_M View Post
it's me who first introduced this little thing to mbworld guys! at first everybody knocked it off but once they tried, they shut their mouths off and kept grinning.

i hv it on my 335 as well, not as dramatic as on amg cars but still there's a difference, less lag and boost simply comes faster and sooner (e.g.: light throttle, around 7psi@2000rpm on jb3 map6)
how about cruising at less than quarter throttle then flooring it... any difference with and without then?

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #42
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

i've had the sprint booster for a while. it was awesome the first month i had it. after that the car adjusts to it. if you have any tunes like jb3 or etc, they adapt to it fairly quickly and then...whuala...nothing. I have to keep taking it off and putting it on every week or so just to feel the difference again. the car adapts faster everytime i reinstall it. now i dont even bother anymore. its like its not even there. hope that helps
Appreciate 0