E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DIY: N54 Injector Coding Via INPA

02-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #133
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Its pretty simple Enrita...No need to hassle with individual files to see what needs to be used...Download this file
http://quick99si3.home.comcast.net/~...02_Updated.rar

Goto your C: drive and delete all the INPA, Ediabas, NCS and NFC folders that are already there...Once all the items in relation to INPA and Ediabas, NCSexpert, NFS are deleted from C: drive

Unzip the RAR file you just downloaded..to a folder on desktop ...Open up the unzipped folder (this file is HUGE!!!!!).....There are folders for Ediabas, EC-Apps, NCS. The Inpa file is located in a folder called EC-Apps..I took each file INPA and NFS out of that folder and made them individual folders and dragged the four folders ( INPA, Ediabas, NCS and NFS into the C drive..
Go back into the upzipped folder and location the file that says step one and initiate the file, which will begin the updating process you and loads up the BMW tool for the update. The first step of the program will say that INPA and NFS is not found at location EC-Apps folder, all you do is just press browse and input C: drive and enter, do this also for NFS file...Follow the instructions after..

Once thats done there goto step 2 file of the downloaded unzipped folder and hit enter which will load up the installation hardware for INPA and reinstall INPA and Ediabas and NCS and NFS back into computer......Go back into the unzipped folder again, and initiate step 3
Step 3, which basically updates all the files needed for the updates..Follow the instructions prompts and you are done with the loading part...

Lastly go to desktop and hit the INPA shortcut you had before to test it out to see if its loading correctly..Then test if it connects with car, If not then you need to troubleshoot it...Either path is not set correctly or

Make sure you have C:/ediabas/bin/obd.ini file copied to the C:\windows..For some reason the install wipes away the file that you had previously copied into C:/windows folder...I have no clue why!! Took me a while to realize this...

The update is worth it.

On a side note there is also a newer version of Ediabas 7.02 and INPA 5.03 in circulation...I was able to obtain the 7.02 Ediabas but could not get Inpa 5.03...I wonder if this file is updated for MSD81 DME and the new F10??..If the update that I just posted wouldnt have worked for my car, then I would have tried to somehow get 7.02 and Inpa 5.03 updated and working...Those running MSD81 should look into that...I already have the Ediabas 7.02 file but need to find INPA 5.03...If anyone need Ediabas 7.02 file let me know...Also does anyone have INPA 5.03?? I have searched and found nothing..

Last edited by cn555ic; 02-23-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #134
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Guys, guys!

Slow down a bit! Those are older versions of INPA and EDIABAS! They also contain older versions of the data files. That's why everything is translated!

You really want to have the latest data files from BMW, especially if your DME firmware has been updated!

When it comes to the DME, the fact remains: the latest data file for MSD80 is only in German. My translation is going to be published online soon.

I run EDIABAS 7.0.2 and INPA 5.06 with the latest data files. This is what it is in my zip file! The whole point of me providing you a ready made zip file is that you don't have to go through the entire process above that cn is describing...

Last edited by vasillalov; 02-23-2012 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #135
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

This whole thread is epic!! Great work guys..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #136
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Guys, guys!

Slow down a bit! Those are older versions of INPA and EDIABAS! They also contain older versions of the data files. That's why everything is translated!

You really want to have the latest data files from BMW, especially if your DME firmware has been updated!

When it comes to the DME, the fact remains: the latest data file for MSD80 is only in German. My translation is going to be published online soon.

I run EDIABAS 7.0.2 and INPA 5.06 with the latest data files. This is what it is in my zip file! The whole point of me providing you a ready made zip file is that you don't have to go through the entire process above that cn is describing...
Vasillov...If thats the case why are the modules for E93 not working with your setup with my car? It doesnt recognize any of the modules...You might be right as my software has not been updated to the newest offering from BMW, but its still very odd that the newer version doesnt backward support older software, if thats what your saying...I still find that hard to believe if thats the case...

I dunno, all I know is that nearly all the functions on the INPA is now working with my car since I did this update, whereas before it doesnt recognize any other functions besides the engine..

Last edited by cn555ic; 02-23-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #137
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Vasillov...If thats the case why are the modules for E93 not working with your setup with my car? It doesnt recognize any of the modules...You might be right as my software has not been updated to the newest offering from BMW...But its still very odd that the newer version doesnt backward support older software, if thats what your implying...

I dunno, all I know is that nearly all the functions on the INPA is working for my car, whereas before it doesnt recognize any other functions besides the engine..
Perhaps the firmware versions on the other controllers in your car has not been updated from the factory and you actually need the older data files. I've not dug into the other controllers for my car just yet. I only wanted to get access to MSD80 which is the one that I needed to do work on when I was coding the injectors.
      02-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #138
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps the firmware versions on the other controllers in your car has not been updated from the factory and you actually need the older data files. I've not dug into the other controllers for my car just yet. I only wanted to get access to MSD80 which is the one that I needed to do work on when I was coding the injectors.

Try to see if other functions in INPA like Chasis, Kosserie and check airbag...It should not give you an error after you press airbag...If it does then its not working correctly....I have tried other applications of your setup and nothing else works for my car except the Engine part of the functions, which I know is what your DIY was intended for...But for guys like me who want everything (almost everything) to work and anal like that, it didnt satisfy my thirst!

When you get a chance, please test out other functionalities of INPA besides the engine aspect of it to see if it works with your DIY setup..If it indeed does then I will be quite surprised and disappointed that INPA doesnt backward support older DME softwares..

Last edited by cn555ic; 02-23-2012 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #139
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
I understand what your saying, but what I am puzzled about is the idea that the newer versions of INPA and Ediabas is not backward compatible for older softwares...It just doesnt make any sense that they would do that....
Try to see if other functions in INPA like Chasis, Kosserie and check airbag...It should not give you an error after you press airbag...If it does then its not working correctly.
I got some of them working. The other thing you probably forget is that the INPA files are basically a collection of scripted files. You can (with the proper software) write your own INPA scripts/files to perform various functions. There are custom one-off inpa files out there. If you are seeing errors in INPA, that's probably because the INPA scripts are trying to make a call to a specific low level ediabas function that has been changed or no longer exists. It really is about getting the right combo of data files, inpa version and ediabas version.

Once I am done with the testing on my translated MSD80 file, I'll work on getting the rest of the modules for E9X working...
      02-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #140
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got some of them working. The other thing you probably forget is that the INPA files are basically a collection of scripted files. You can (with the proper software) write your own INPA scripts/files to perform various functions. There are custom one-off inpa files out there. If you are seeing errors in INPA, that's probably because the INPA scripts are trying to make a call to a specific low level ediabas function that has been changed or no longer exists. It really is about getting the right combo of data files, inpa version and ediabas version.

Once I am done with the testing on my translated MSD80 file, I'll work on getting the rest of the modules for E9X working...
I totally agree! There are so many Inpa files and Ediabas files floating around the internet...So many changes to scripts and people playing around with it, that files will get changed and become corrupt or files missing...Your right about getting the right files and working programs!
Let me know how it goes, but did you load up the link that I posted...See if those files and scripts make the modules that were not working prior functional..It cant hurt.

I will test out more tonight and take some more pics of the new screen menus that I see with this update of INPA and Ediabas..From what I saw last night there are difference to airbag system of E90 to E92 to E93...That doesnt change regardless of software version and the modules dont change either...My software version of my car is 27.xx from 2007 and has NEVER been updated. I want to see if this is indeed the case of no backward compatibility
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #141
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Guys,

I think we are polluting this thread. This is for injector coding ONLY! Lets keep all the rest of the conding conversation in a separate thread or via PM
      02-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #142
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Guys,

I think we are polluting this thread. This is for injector coding ONLY! Lets keep all the rest of the conding conversation in a separate thread or via PM
Wow! I am surprised at your reply..This is not off topic or polluting the thread at all. Its referring to your DIY setup thread which we all are using. I understand you have it working for injector coding as such, but the program has other functions. If you present something to the forum, dissecting each part is part of the research and understanding of the program. If there are other functions that are part of the INPA program, its human nature for people to have it working or inquire why its not functional.. I am not taking anything away from this thread as your thread has basically given knowledge of how and what to do for coding the injectors. I dont know why you feel this way...If thats the case I will decline from posting anymore about this on your thread, as you have contributed to the forum with this DIY...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #143
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
The setup works for coding injectors and everything we need for MSD80. It's been tested and confirmed working.

You are trying to accomplish things beyond the scope of this DIY thread and I just feel that we need a separate thread about the rest of the things. We want to keep the DIY threads clean and simple.

To answer your original question: try loading C:\EDIABAS\BIN\Tool32.exe file and give it the the appropriate .prg file you need for the controller you are trying to access. This bypasses any INPA scripts that may/maynot be outdated!

EDIT: ...and don't worry, a lot more good things are coming from the INPA functionality. But they will all be in a separate threads.
      02-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #144
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

While we are off topic, look for stability settings. Being able to turn on ONLY the e-diff would be awesome. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #145
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Just checked the program out and alot of modules work compared to before on my car!

Like Vasillov stated there are ALOT of interesting stuff within the INPA program now that I can read what the hell it all means!

Last edited by cn555ic; 02-24-2012 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #146
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

I just looked at the files size of Vasillov's Ediabas folder and the Ediabas folder of the one I downloaded and there is a huge discrepancy between the two versions! Mine has 2149 files compared to 1378 files...I took the files that mine were missing from Vasillov's files and combined it to mine...Now the Ediabas file size increased to 2199. Although I had 2149 files, I was still missing 50 files from Vasillov!!! I wonder why there is such a big difference. I also did the same for the INPA files...Surprisingly Vasillov files had more files in the folder...His folders contained 760 files to my 548. I copied each folder files I needed to my files, eliminating alot of CFGDAT files that were not needed as it seems it had both files in German and English that were the same, just language difference.. At the end of the file extraction my files on INPA totaled 742 from 548. That is 194 files difference..Both INPA versions were the same, but again such a big difference in file size. I have no idea why there are so many difference, but I guess that would have to be attributed to the internet and programs floating all around!! I am trying get a copy of INPA thats as complete and functional as possible....I will test it out to see how it works on my car since I merged the two INPA and Ediabas files together to get one complete files of both..
Like Vasillov stated there are alot of interesting stuff that is within INPA.. I will let him discuss that on a different thread.

Back on topic....I checked my injectors values to see if they were off from the factory, and also see if the values change over time, and there was no difference..

Thanks once again Vasillov for introducing this DIY to the forum...I knew about it for awhile, but I never put anytime into it until you posted your threads..
This thread should be a Sticky
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #147
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Ohh god... I think you may have made a big mish-mash out of your installation! Certain data files ONLY work with certain versions of EDIABAS and INPA. Combining files from different versions is not a good idea.

cn, I'd be very careful with anything you try to do to your car using INPA from now on.
      02-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #148
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

I tested all the functionality of it today and everything checked out...The only modules that are not working is the convertible hardtop, nav and radio...All the other modules are working perfectly..I even read errors and erased them with no problem...I did get some warning about version variance of certain functions and that it can cause malfunction, but I pressed ok and it went to the next screen...Tested those modules by reading the module and everything worked, so I guess the difference in version files didnt make much of a difference. ..I even checked the individual console buttons which tirggers INPA to show if they are functional or not and everything checked...Ever function that was able to connect to INPA worked and data was correct. I hear what your saying and there was a couple of warnings, I think about 4 warnings of this variance that I saw....They had to do with Kosserie modules and couple of communication modules and one for the tranny.....Before I transferred the files there were alot of errors that module cannot be found, now I only have 3...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #149
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Sounds like you lucked out! A few times when I tried to use different data files for different EDIABAS/INPA versions it did not work at all.
      02-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #150
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you lucked out! A few times when I tried to use different data files for different EDIABAS/INPA versions it did not work at all.
I dunno...All I know is it works..You have an email!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #151
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Its pretty simple Enrita...No need to hassle with individual files to see what needs to be used...Download this file
http://quick99si3.home.comcast.net/~...02_Updated.rar

Goto your C: drive and delete all the INPA, Ediabas, NCS and NFC folders that are already there...Once all the items in relation to INPA and Ediabas, NCSexpert, NFS are deleted from C: drive

Unzip the RAR file you just downloaded..to a folder on desktop ...Open up the unzipped folder (this file is HUGE!!!!!).....There are folders for Ediabas, EC-Apps, NCS. The Inpa file is located in a folder called EC-Apps..I took each file INPA and NFS out of that folder and made them individual folders and dragged the four folders ( INPA, Ediabas, NCS and NFS into the C drive..
Go back into the upzipped folder and location the file that says step one and initiate the file, which will begin the updating process you and loads up the BMW tool for the update. The first step of the program will say that INPA and NFS is not found at location EC-Apps folder, all you do is just press browse and input C: drive and enter, do this also for NFS file...Follow the instructions after..

Once thats done there goto step 2 file of the downloaded unzipped folder and hit enter which will load up the installation hardware for INPA and reinstall INPA and Ediabas and NCS and NFS back into computer......Go back into the unzipped folder again, and initiate step 3
Step 3, which basically updates all the files needed for the updates..Follow the instructions prompts and you are done with the loading part...

Lastly go to desktop and hit the INPA shortcut you had before to test it out to see if its loading correctly..Then test if it connects with car, If not then you need to troubleshoot it...Either path is not set correctly or

Make sure you have C:/ediabas/bin/obd.ini file copied to the C:\windows..For some reason the install wipes away the file that you had previously copied into C:/windows folder...I have no clue why!! Took me a while to realize this...

The update is worth it.

On a side note there is also a newer version of Ediabas 7.02 and INPA 5.03 in circulation...I was able to obtain the 7.02 Ediabas but could not get Inpa 5.03...I wonder if this file is updated for MSD81 DME and the new F10??..If the update that I just posted wouldnt have worked for my car, then I would have tried to somehow get 7.02 and Inpa 5.03 updated and working...Those running MSD81 should look into that...I already have the Ediabas 7.02 file but need to find INPA 5.03...If anyone need Ediabas 7.02 file let me know...Also does anyone have INPA 5.03?? I have searched and found nothing..
Could you please elaborate on this more. I downloaded the file you mentioned and extracted the .rar but i'm not seeing any INPA folders etc. Only the executables step 1-3. I'd like to get the INPA updated for E92 as well.

Last edited by FirstBMWLA; 02-27-2012 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #152
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMWLA View Post
Could you please elaborate on this more. I downloaded the file you mentioned and extracted the .rar but i'm not seeing any INPA folders etc. Only the executables step 1-3. I'd like to get the INPA updated for E92 as well.
Stick that extracted folder in the C drive and go through step 1-3 with the little BMW logo on it..it will extract all the files for you. Step one loads the BMW tool, Step two loads INPA and step 3 loads the update
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #153
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Stick that extracted folder in the C drive and go through step 1-3 with the little BMW logo on it..it will extract all the files for you. Step one loads the BMW tool, Step two loads INPA and step 3 loads the update
Something must be amiss with my environment variables or paths. When I run the Step 1 from within C:\ I get path errors and the installation fails. I can go find the setup.exe it's looking for and continue but then I get errors also further down the line.
I had no problems running INPA with Vas DIY files oddly.

Update: If I use C:\temp as initial path for step 1 I get no errors and install proceeds. We'll see how this works out.

Last edited by FirstBMWLA; 02-27-2012 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #154
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMWLA View Post
Something must be amiss with my environment variables or paths. When I run the Step 1 from within C:\ I get path errors and the installation fails. I can go find the setup.exe it's looking for and continue but then I get errors also further down the line.
I had no problems running INPA with Vas DIY files oddly.

Update: If I use C:\temp as initial path for step 1 I get no errors and install proceeds. We'll see how this works out.
Correct dont change that..Leave it on temps but before you even do step one...Take out the INPA file and NFS file from EC-Apps folder and delete that empty folder.Then drag those two files to the C-drive ...Take INPA and NFS folder out of there and put both in C drive...when it ask that folder EC-apps for INPA is not found just browse and find c drive and press okay...do the same for NFS...Reason being you eliminated the EC-Apps folder so its no longer can be found with that path.

Cdrive now should have 4 folder individually....INPA, NCS, NFS , Ediabas

do step 1 and then it will ask to locate the INPA and NFS files...browse and hit C: for both

After tools install, goto downloaded unzipped folder and do step 2 and then after do step 3 and your done..

Then you will have everything working and not have to change the environmental path later....

Also make sure after install to copy the Ediabas/bin/obd.ini file into windows again as it erases it from previous copy!

Last edited by cn555ic; 02-28-2012 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0