E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need some advice guys, if possible please..

12-29-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Svas
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 335is coupe

Garage List
Angry Need some advice guys, if possible please..

Hey guys, I'll get right to the point. The end of November I was involved in an accident with my new 335is. I was stopped at a red light and someone blasted me from behind. The damage was 2500 dollars, and on the I-drive screen it stated that they're was a failed airbag deployment. Anyways, the accident happened on Saturday, and the car was dropped off at the body shop on Monday. My insurance company paid them the same day. It is now over a month and my car is still not completed. I've called BMW of America and filed a complaint and they said they would look into it. They called me back last week and said the parts are there but they're waiting for the adhesive to be released from Germany. I mean I could've ordered and built a new car in almost that time. When the rep called me back I complained that it's rediculous and she wound up hanging up on me. When I asked about the failed airbag warning, they wound up giving me 3 different responses. I don't know who else to call or if there is even anything I can do. Any advice would help guys, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

This really isn't an issue with BMW but it is an issue with the bodyshop.

Ask the bodyshop exactly what the delay is. If it is a parts availability problem then you can raise it with BMW, but chances are the bodyshop made a mistake or forgot to order something.

A BMW dealer can pull the exact code that was thrown regarding the airbags, but you really need the specific error code to determine what happened.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Svas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well BMW said the parts were on back order but my main problem is that it's been over a month. The body shop is the same one my dealership uses, but geez over a month and still nothing?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

WTF are you bitching about? Parts are back-ordered. Would you rather they use something else so you can get it back sooner? Relax and take a breather. But do keep calling, that will ensure they get right on it and do it right!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I'm sorry to hear about this but it's not BMWs or the body shops fault. If parts are backordered.....they're back ordered.

ChasVS worded it perfectly..you don't want to have a half assed repair.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
sorry to hear good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

We feel your pain: 5 weeks separation from a new 335is! That is cruel & unusual punishment. Your patience and fortitude are admirable. I think most of us would be going ballistic by now.

Perhaps the parts availability is linked to the exclusivity of the 335is? Normally parts can be rushed over in a week or two. Anyone else hear of this kind of delay? It is reminiscent of the issues with the rfts and HPFPs when there was an unexpected high demand.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I've learned the same as above. Don't push them. If you push, they'll get it done incorrectly.

Just what you need is them pissed off when they're working on your car. I know it sounds ass backwards, but it's true.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Perhaps the parts availability is linked to the exclusivity of the 335is?
Also likely because it is so new.

Why did his insurance pay in full before it was even repaired? Usually the insurance would inspect the repair before signing off on the payment.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I had the same kind of a crazy delay with my E30 when it was only a year old and a deer got in the way. BMW can be very slow on parts. I would up calling a friend who was on the Board of Directors (since retired). Parts arrived 2 days later.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
Svas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My insurance paid immediately b/c he appraised it the same day and paid the same day....it's not that I'm bitching, I want them to do a great job...but I get annoyed when BMW of America sounds so lost when I call them...to find out about the parts. You're telling me they couldn't contact anyone about the parts being back ordered..it takes 3 weeks to find out...and all for a bumper?...at least some type of real response from them, not just "I don't know"....not professional at all..I used up my insurance rental and still no car...I needed it for work...I'm not rich, just frustrated that it took so long that's all...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svas View Post
I used up my insurance rental and still no car...I needed it for work...I'm not rich, just frustrated that it took so long that's all...

So what you should do is tell BMW NA that they should pay the remainder of your rental.

That's most reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

The fact that the woman hung up on you screams out for a BBB complaint. That's absolutely ridiculous, that's a professional person representing a large scale company and she hangs up on you? Looks like they need to find a new rep....
      12-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
Svas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
When I first called them, they said they would offer some type of compensation, even take off a payment...( this is what they said)...but their attitude changed completely after they called me back, saying we can't do anything for you...I even asked them if they can work with my dealership to offer me a loaner for few days after my rental expired and they said no.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #15
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

Not a good sign at all, that's just poor customer service and totally unacceptable IMO. If they're not gonna help you at all I would just stay on their ass about it, good luck.
      12-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW

why would u have to pay for rental? shouldn't the person's insurance who hit u from behind cover everything?

or are you at fault in some odd way?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 BMW 328i Coupe|Sapphire Black|Gray Poplar Wood Trim|Premium Package|Sports Package|Navigation iDrive|Park Distance|Aero Body Kit|Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #17
Svas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No, not at fault at all..hit from behind stopped at a red light..can't get any clearer than that lol....and my insurance company covers up to a month for rentals...it takes time for his insurance to reimburse mine..but they will b/c they just sent me their paperwork..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #18
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
Tell the other insurance company you need a direct bill on the rental. As far as time, never believe what they tell you up front anyway. And be prepared for it not to really be ready when they say its ready. Make sure you check the color of the bumper both inside the shop and outside in the sunlight to make sure it matches. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #19
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

[QUOTE=Svas;8581355...I used up my insurance rental and still no car...I needed it for work...I'm not rich, just frustrated that it took so long that's all...[/QUOTE]

Your insurance shouldn't be paying for a rental. The insurance of the guy that hit you should be paying until your car is repaired.

If you have proof that the parts were ordered but backordered, then you might ask BMW to give you some sort of compensation for the delay.

It appears that your calls to BMW may have been a bit emotional That is a tactic that will not get you results.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #20
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svas View Post
My insurance paid immediately b/c he appraised it the same day and paid the same day...
Should have told your insurance not to pay until it was done, that would at least get the bodyshop to keep grinding BMW for you. I have never had such issue before, parts back orderd for a month or more. Good luck and keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 02:32 AM   #21
rosskie
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

dam man for 2500 i fixed my car new hood new bumper, new fenders, new radiator support, frame work. painting half the car cost me 600..

call ur insurance and ask if u can change shops to someone better.... and tell them why
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #22
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
Do you have pictures of the damage? $2,500 worth of damage on a BMW is not a lot. I had my e92 335's rear bumper replaced and that was $1200 with labor and painting. Make sure you go to a BMW certified repair facility. Since the insurance company is paying and price is not an issue, go to the best even if it's expensive. Insurance companies will recommend shops in their best interest and if you know of a certified shop you know is better, demand it. The dealership's recommended body shop may not necessarily be the best in your area.

This is a local body shop in my area and this place is amazing. The shop floor is so clean that I can eat off the floor. They run this shop like a hospital and it's pretty amazing.

http://www.sfgermanmotors.com/start.html

Besides the bumper, what other part are you waiting on? The 335is is fairly new so you're not going to get a lot in inventory. It is also unfortunate since it happened at the end of the year when you have holidays and companies tend to operate slower.

GL.
The insurance had already paid the bodyshop in full, do people read before they respond anymore?

The only thing I can think of is talking to your insurance, because only the insurance has a stake in you at this time. The bodyshop already has the money it is not in any major rush, as long as its lot is not jam packed.

But your insurance still wants you as a customer, at least I hope so, because often times after a big payout the insurance will actually drop the coverage, but not for $2,500. Since your insurance might be responsible for the choice of the bodyshop and payment arrangement, make sure it also covers all your rental cost without impacting your premium. You should not have to worry about which insurance pays what, your insurance should know how to take care of it all for you. All you need to know is you are well taken care of and your premium does not go up.

There is a reason you buy insurance, so you don't have to do all the work and deal with the risk, they will do it for you. However like one other poster said, need to know how to calmly discuss the issues, so the other side feels your pain but still wants to help you.
Appreciate 0