E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best bass audio optimization with iPod EQ settings?

09-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
ilovejordanz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: jet black 2007 328i

Best bass audio optimization with iPod EQ settings?

Hello, I am on a 2010 E90 with the base audio(which sounds horrible as you all know). I am playing around right now with my iPod EQ settings(on USB connection) + Bass/Treble setting on the iDrive. I am trying to find the best combination right now, anyone have any luck experimenting with this? Hopefully I am not trying to do the impossible lol
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejordanz View Post
Hopefully I am not trying to do the impossible lol
I'm a doctor, Jim!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Let me explain it like this:

Everybody loves chocolate, it is yummy! When you eat it, your body turns it into shit. It doesn't matter if the chocolate was white, brown, dark, hershey's, lind, pralines, with nuts, or without nuts, in the end, it all turns into brown shit.

The chocolates are the songs on your ipod, the equalization represents the different varieties of chocolates, and your digestive system is the base audio system.

Any questions?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
ilovejordanz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: jet black 2007 328i

Okay, I see, I do have a question. Some varieties of chocolates are good for the digestive system while others are not. Are there any chocolates varieties good for the digestive system used in the example?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If you are using the 6FL connection (bottom connector on iPod to USB/Aux-in), the EQ settings on the iPod are automatically bypassed.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
jacar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 AH3

When my son played his iphone through the base audio, it was much better than usual: ipod on 'Rock', BMW +3 bass and +2 treble. I tried the same and it sounded as bad as usual.
Now I know why: he plugs in his iphone to the aux. audio in, I used the USB/Aux-in which is bypassing the ipod's EQ. I just unplugged the USB and it is much better. Of course, you then lose the steering wheel control of the ipod.
Try those settings, it is at least better until I figure out a reasonable cost/least impact upgrade on this leased 2010 E90.
I thought the MS-8 would be the solution but if the echo on speakerphone is not solved that won't work as my wife drives the car and uses the speakerphone a lot...
BMW really screwed those of us who got into the 2010's-I just expected a stereo that would be the same quality of the car, I've been in Volvo's the last 15 years and the base stereo's are much better.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Let me explain it like this:

Everybody loves chocolate, it is yummy! When you eat it, your body turns it into shit. It doesn't matter if the chocolate was white, brown, dark, hershey's, lind, pralines, with nuts, or without nuts, in the end, it all turns into brown shit.

The chocolates are the songs on your ipod, the equalization represents the different varieties of chocolates, and your digestive system is the base audio system.

Any questions?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
If you are using the 6FL connection (bottom connector on iPod to USB/Aux-in), the EQ settings on the iPod are automatically bypassed.
That's not quite correct, kaigoss... changing the EQ settings changes the analog sound out of the iPod while using the 6FL. Remember, the audio is routed thru the AUX (6FL OEM cable) and that's the iPod output that the EQ applies to. The EQ settings are bypassed at the USB port (digital sound).

Just try it.

Mine is set to Rock -after trying Flat and Off- and it sounds better while using the OEM cable. Now, if I use the Apple USB cable the non-DRM songs sound even better regardless of the EQ settings as they are bypassed.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That's not quite correct, kaigoss... changing the EQ settings changes the analog sound out of the iPod while using the 6FL. Remember, the audio is routed thru the AUX (6FL OEM cable) and that's the iPod output that the EQ applies to. The EQ settings are bypassed at the USB port (digital sound).

Just try it.

Mine is set to Rock -after trying Flat and Off- and it sounds better while using the OEM cable. Now, if I use the Apple USB cable the non-DRM songs sound even better regardless of the EQ settings as they are bypassed.
Hmmm, I have to try that. I could have sworn the analog line-out was non-EQ'ed, but I guess it ain't so.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Regardless, getting additional decent-sounding bass out of the stock speakers when the deck is already boosting the bass a ridiculous amount is close to a lost cause.
Appreciate 0