E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Leak

04-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Rat_House
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, Gated R8, DatsunZ, mk

Oil Leak

I was changing plugs this weekend and found oil in those little divot things next to the plugs on cylinder 2-3-4, and there was oil on the ign coil of cylinder 2. Does anyone know where this oil is coming from? the car only has 28k on it.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_House View Post
I was changing plugs this weekend and found oil in those little divot things next to the plugs on cylinder 2-3-4, and there was oil on the ign coil of cylinder 2. Does anyone know where this oil is coming from? the car only has 28k on it.

-Its your valve cover gasket... I just did mine and I only have 35k. It is not too hard to do it yourself in my opinion. You do not have to replace the bolts as some of the DIY write-ups suggest and the gasket is only 30 or so dollars. It took me 4 hours to do but I also replaced my low pressure fuel sensor and sparkplugs at the same time. Good luck
      04-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Rat_House
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
-Its your valve cover gasket... I just did mine and I only have 35k. It is not too hard to do it yourself in my opinion. You do not have to replace the bolts as some of the DIY write-ups suggest and the gasket is only 30 or so dollars. It took me 4 hours to do but I also replaced my low pressure fuel sensor and sparkplugs at the same time. Good luck
thanks, do you know if this would be covered under warranty? the car is CPO
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_House View Post
thanks, do you know if this would be covered under warranty? the car is CPO
-Should be but I'm not 100% sure
      04-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
prepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

who does your oil changes? I was thinking valve cover leak when I saw this as well in my engine, but turned out it was some of the oil i spilled by accident when filling the oil back up in a hurry during an oil change. The oil will run directly to those spots in the picture. Im not saying it can't be your vcg, but try cleaning it out and drive it for a while, it if returns then yes i would say it is most likely you inner portion of your vcg…good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepster View Post
who does your oil changes? I was thinking valve cover leak when I saw this as well in my engine, but turned out it was some of the oil i spilled by accident when filling the oil back up in a hurry during an oil change. The oil will run directly to those spots in the picture. Im not saying it can't be your vcg, but try cleaning it out and drive it for a while, it if returns then yes i would say it is most likely you inner portion of your vcg…good luck
+1

I thought the same thing when mine leaked so I cleaned all of the oil out and it came back with-in a week... There is a baffle/gasket around the oil fill cap that should prevent oil from going into the valve cover area but it could happen. Oil down in the sparkplug valley is almost always a VC gasket.
      04-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
Rat_House
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW has done the 1 oil change since ive owned the car, i doubt spillage since this is what the plug in cylinder 2 looked like
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
prepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

My plugs looked like that as well after i had the oil spill around the oil cap, the #2 plug is right in that area...remove, clean it and check afterwards...if it returns then atleast u know for sure before taking apart your vcg...my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My plugs looked like that as well after i had the oil spill around the oil cap, the #2 plug is right in that area...remove, clean it and check afterwards...if it returns then atleast u know for sure before taking apart your vcg...my 2 cents
+1
cant hurt to clean it out and then recheck...
      04-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
Danimals
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i 6speed

I had 77k on a VCG and oil started pilling up and eventually leaked in 2 coils causing rough idle and random reduced engine power on my 335i. Literally oil was filled in 2 of the spark plug wholes. Leaky VCG can cause some headaches for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Rat_House
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimals View Post
I had 77k on a VCG and oil started pilling up and eventually leaked in 2 coils causing rough idle and random reduced engine power on my 335i. Literally oil was filled in 2 of the spark plug wholes. Leaky VCG can cause some headaches for sure.
ive been having similiar symptoms, as well as a metal on metal grinding sound on start up. almost like when you turn the ignition of a car thats already on. I'm bringing the car in next week, I'll let the dealer figure it out.
Appreciate 0