E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMS Powerbox review

05-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
Mrbmw17
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

BMS Powerbox review

I just recieved my BMS Powerbox today in the mail. I opened it up and installed it on the spot. I used the youtube guide that BMS provided. The install took me about 1 and a half hours.
When I started up the car and went out the first thing that I noticed was the throttle lag was completely gone . I noticed a bit more power when at higher speeds. Feel free to ask any questions.
      05-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
Ruddigger
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91

Why didn't you get an actual tune, instead of this thing that is essentially the same as pressing the gas pedal harder?
      05-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Mrbmw17
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger View Post
Why didn't you get an actual tune, instead of this thing that is essentially the same as pressing the gas pedal harder?
What really turned me off with the AA tune, was that many people said they had check engine lights come up and serious problems to ensue. Also, the price was a factor. It's still something that could possibly come in the future....
      05-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbmw17 View Post
What really turned me off with the AA tune, was that many people said they had check engine lights come up and serious problems to ensue. Also, the price was a factor. It's still something that could possibly come in the future....
serious problems? engine lights come up?? ... where are these many people?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
MonsterM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328i SP

Quote:
I ran the AA stg 2 tune for thousands of miles and never had any issues. I don't have the car anymore but I loved the tune. I still have the Simon tool and the loaded N52 tune. If you want call AA and see how much would they charge you to reset the Simon since it is married to my VIN. I am in NJ too, look into it, I have no use for this stuff, see if it is something that is worth for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:27 PM   #6
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

The pbx is even more of a waste of a time now than ever. Just IMHO. Placebo effects are for curing diseases...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 12:14 AM   #7
Kirkies328
Banned
Rep
Drives: White 328i with black rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterM
Quote:
I ran the AA stg 2 tune for thousands of miles and never had any issues. I don't have the car anymore but I loved the tune. I still have the Simon tool and the loaded N52 tune. If you want call AA and see how much would they charge you to reset the Simon since it is married to my VIN. I am in NJ too, look into it, I have no use for this stuff, see if it is something that is worth for you.
How much u want for it the simon tool if they can unmary it?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 08:33 AM   #8
MonsterM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkies328 View Post
How much u want for it the simon tool if they can unmary it?
Check your PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #9
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
+1. Useless and why did it take 3 times longer to install than a jb4 g5?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #10
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
BMS PBX again... LOL

Inventors of the placebo effect. But if it makes you happy.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 12:48 AM   #11
Ruddigger
Major
Rep

Has anyone else noticed the influx of low post count members coming in here to bash AA recently? I'm no AA fanboy, I don't own any of their products so I'm not teying to defend them, but seems a little strange to me.
      05-28-2016, 08:03 AM   #12
MonsterM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed the influx of low post count members coming in here to bash AA recently? I'm no AA fanboy, I don't own any of their products so I'm not teying to defend them, but seems a little strange to me.
I don't have my 3 series anymore but I never had any issues with their tune for the N52. I ran it for years and thousands of miles. I think it was great. The Simon tool was a pain in the butt to use but I thought the service and the actual tune were very good. I am very glad that there is still a company that offers a tune for these NA motors. With everything going FI these days, the N52 can still be super fun with their tune and PE. I miss mine very much, specially the sound of the PE at the redline pulls . You don't need a lot of power to enjoy a car like this.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #13
Mrbmw17
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm not bashing aa it was just a money factor. I was seriously considering it and still am I just read a few bad reviews. Quit picking on new members
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
Ruddigger
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm not bashing aa it was just a money factor. I was seriously considering it and still am I just read a few bad reviews. Quit picking on new members

I'm not picking on new members, I'm pointing out that I observed a pattern emerging.
      05-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #15
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

Quote:
I just recieved my BMS Powerbox today in the mail. I opened it up and installed it on the spot. I used the youtube guide that BMS provided. The install took me about 1 and a half hours.
When I started up the car and went out the first thing that I noticed was the throttle lag was completely gone . I noticed a bit more power when at higher speeds. Feel free to ask any questions.
r u the one went Midas?.. oh brother here we go again....
      05-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #16
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:

Yeah it's really weird. AA is pretty solid and there's tons of threads and posts to back it up. Maybe it's a Google search thing not finding AA threads?

And aren't there dynos that actually show that you lose power with the bms powerbox?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0