E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 rear subframe bushings, guide rods and wishbones installed

05-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

M3 rear subframe bushings, guide rods and wishbones installed

Last weekend I finally got some time to go to Columbus Automotive (Ivo) and install the M3 rear suspension bits. Prior to installing these the rear of the car would fishtail to the right in 1st 2nd and 3rd gears. In 1st gear it was actually a fun thing to do but if you're racing you basically just lose traction, even with the LSD in place, and you end up not moving off the line. In 2nd, pretty bad too. In 3rd gear and with the RB turbos there now running 16psi would make the rear lose traction and make it go sideways a bit too and at 100km/hr and that was just plain scary to a point where I was reluctant to even tap the DTC button once let alone turn DTC completely off..

I got these installed and I honestly can't describe just how much these have made the car more stable at WOT all the way down to 1st gear. The car now just stays straight. Yes, it still loses traction if you gun it in 1st gear off a stop but with the LSD back there the car actually keeps moving forward and straight and eventually picks up and goes. There's no more side to side movement, its just incredible. I never thought that this mod would make such a dramatic difference and I strongly suggest anyone with a high power N54 and an LSD to do this.

Many people who have done this mod have reported the same shocking results before. Having been in a situation where I've read a great "sounding" review only to be either disappointed or not meeting expectations set later when I installed a mod, this modification to the car was definitely THE best when it came to 1) stability in a straight line, WOT especially in lower gears 2) traction (putting that power to the ground).

I got the parts from Harold@HPAutowerks back a few months ago who's been great as always along with the rear subframe bushing tool which I rented from him and returned once I was done. It took two nights to do with Ivo@Columbus who's once again shown great detail to attention and work.

By the way, I also took the time to, for the first time ever, adjust the damper settings on my adjustable KW V2s They've been on the car for so long and I can't believe I ever tried to adjust the dampening on them. It may be that some of the awesomeness here actually comes from this adjustment. I basically dialed it in so its fully soft in the front and fully stiff in the back. Doing this allows for quick load transfer from the rear to the front of the car at take-off giving you basically a much faster launch.

Here's some pics of the rear subframe off the car awaiting assimilation

Last edited by dzenno; 05-16-2011 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Your car is a beast bro
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
Your car is a beast bro
thanks man...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
wtfmateim65
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 92 335i JB4

I agree you basically have the BMW 3-Series 3M Coupe lol

or 3-Series M Coupe? haha can't call it an M3
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfmateim65 View Post
I agree you basically have the BMW 3-Series 3M Coupe lol

or 3-Series M Coupe? haha can't call it an M3
nah, its just a 318i
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
What was the reason for removing the subframe? Did you have to remove it to get he subframe bushings out, or could you have done that with the subframe on the car since you have the proper tool?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
What was the reason for removing the subframe? Did you have to remove it to get he subframe bushings out, or could you have done that with the subframe on the car since you have the proper tool?
It's way easier when it's all in front of you...I don't think it's doable without lowering it either but not 100%...the tool helps because it makes it really easy to press the bushings out..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Skydive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Can you share the part numbers from your kit? I know that I can order the kit complete from Tischer, but I have a direct source via an importer account I'd like to try. If I can save myself some money, perhaps I can do the same for others.

Thanks!

Last edited by Skydive; 05-16-2011 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Thanks for a great post !! Now I know exactly what to expect and I am really pumped up now ! I do notice my car squirming around under WOT... that will be nice to have gone.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I am about to get my m3 subframe bushings installed, how long was the process, I was told about 7 hrs... I really hope this prevents a lot of the wheel hop I have been getting. Also I am feeling like the rear end is floating in 2-3-4...not a planted feeling at all. I know I could help this with coilovers but I believe the subframe bushing will help prevent the floating feeling...how does it feel and do you feel the floating feeling at all or any wheel hop still?
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Looking forward to getting a ride in the beast, grats on the new mod bro!
      05-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn999 View Post
I am about to get my m3 subframe bushings installed, how long was the process, I was told about 7 hrs... I really hope this prevents a lot of the wheel hop I have been getting. Also I am feeling like the rear end is floating in 2-3-4...not a planted feeling at all. I know I could help this with coilovers but I believe the subframe bushing will help prevent the floating feeling...how does it feel and do you feel the floating feeling at all or any wheel hop still?
Did you notice the wheel hop with the Advans? I don't have any....

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

this makes me want an m3
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Did you notice the wheel hop with the Advans? I don't have any....
I havent dumped the clutch since ive put them on but I dont get much if any during hard acceleration. Im more worried about getting wheel hop during a track run and snapping the axle/axles. I also have stock suspension so i am more likely to have wheel hop with all of this slop in the stock suspension. I am getting coilovers soon...either moton, bilstein or ast's. I dont need um asap...i just want to get them ordered and installed by the time I get the new turbos. The Advan's are really great tires tho, much better than the pilot sports.
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
this makes me want an m3
I will have about $14k invested in my car - without new rims and tires. I could have done this for less probably 10k without the Dinan stuff I did first.

I had a M3 on order, and didn't take delivery because we found a new house.... I was going to have to give the dealer $57,000 and my trade in of my 335i with 50,000 kms on it to drive the M3. I decided to keep the 335 and mod it, AND get the house.

Now my car will be faster than a M3, a much better daily driver and handle just as well. The response on this car now is amazing. you touch the gas, the car leaps. I can't wait to get the rear end work done in my Sig.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #16
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive View Post
Can you share the part numbers from your kit? I know that I can order the kit complete from Tischer, but I have a direct source via an importer account I'd like to try. If I can save myself some money, perhaps I can do the same for others.

Thanks!
Part numbers are on this forum...search for Alpina_B3_Lux thread on m3 bits..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Thanks for a great post !! Now I know exactly what to expect and I am really pumped up now ! I do notice my car squirming around under WOT... that will be nice to have gone.
LSD puts the power to the ground on both wheels but the subframe bushings being so soft on this car stock don't keep the car firm and they allow for too much flex....when I had the stock and m3 rear subframe bushings in my hands its obvious why the m3 bushings help...they're rock hard compared to the stock 335 rear bushings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn999 View Post
The shop did it for me in two nights so 7 hours seems right but could be a bit more not sure...your coils won't do squat for that floating rear end feeling...the only fix for that is the rear subframe bushings...the m3 rear guide rods are great as well as they minimize/eliminate wheelhop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
Looking forward to getting a ride in the beast, grats on the new mod bro!
this weather makes me sick man lol wtf! if this weekend is dry you know where i'm going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
this makes me want an m3
yeah the suspension on the m3 is near perfect
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #17
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep
Drives: girls krazy

Penn & Dzenno...

maybe I should start a new thread for this, but if you started all over what would you do to your car in terms of power/suspension/wheels...etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #18
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrulz View Post
Penn & Dzenno...

maybe I should start a new thread for this, but if you started all over what would you do to your car in terms of power/suspension/wheels...etc?
I'd probably end up with the same mods seriously...I only truly got to appreciate my KW V2 coilover setup for its adjustable dampening these past two weeks of the 2 years I had it, so sad

Really, all these mods complement each other so well on this car now...there are only two mods I regretted getting ever: 1) NST lightweight crankshaft pulley which I never installed and sold after finding out it wasn't harmonically balanced (thanks to this and other forum) and 2) RR Oil catch can..

RBs are the only mod not being used to their fullest potential, they're at maybe 60% at the moment, and this is what I'm waiting on (i.e. a fuel system, more fuel)...

Then.....on to bigger better things with the N54 lol i can't believe after 3yrs of owning this car that I'm still having so much fun with it...in the past every other car would've been long gone already...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #19
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
I'd probably end up with the same mods seriously...I only truly got to appreciate my KW V2 coilover setup for its adjustable dampening these past two weeks of the 2 years I had it, so sad

Really, all these mods complement each other so well on this car now...there are only two mods I regretted getting ever: 1) NST lightweight crankshaft pulley which I never installed and sold after finding out it wasn't harmonically balanced (thanks to this and other forum) and 2) RR Oil catch can..

RBs are the only mod not being used to their fullest potential, they're at maybe 60% at the moment, and this is what I'm waiting on (i.e. a fuel system, more fuel)...

Then.....on to bigger better things with the N54 lol i can't believe after 3yrs of owning this car that I'm still having so much fun with it...in the past every other car would've been long gone already...

I appreciate the reply and definitely recall the whole pulley threads that came up.

All your mods are listed I presume?

Penn, the reason I asked you as well is bc you recently stated you'd do it differently if you could it all over again.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #20
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrulz View Post
I appreciate the reply and definitely recall the whole pulley threads that came up.

All your mods are listed I presume?

Penn, the reason I asked you as well is bc you recently stated you'd do it differently if you could it all over again.
I would have done the order of my mods way differently, the brands of certain parts and I would have read more reviews on mods. I also would have called more companies to ask for discounts...you never know what you might get until you ask. Also I would have liked to install most of my parts. The parts I did install I know how they work 100%...but when u don't have a lift and time is scarce its harder to do. I wouldnt have any less mods bc everything I have is there for a reason, and quite frankly I need a few more essential things to have this car ready for these turbos. As FBIS pointed out to me last night, sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and get things that you need so you can drive your car and not worry about having a weak link. Its for peace of mind and for the longevity of the car. I would like to give the advice to please read about your parts fully b4 you decide to get something because once you have it...it can cost you a lot of money to change it. Worse yet...it could hurt the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #21
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep

thanks for the advice guys
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #22
Skydive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Part numbers are on this forum...search for Alpina_B3_Lux thread on m3 bits..
Most excellent, sir. I found them. Thanks!