E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Stolen - E92 LCI auto dimming mirrors

11-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Stolen - E92 LCI auto dimming mirrors

Some scumbags got me tonight after I parked my car in LIC in Queens, NY. Was about to get in my car and noticed something was off then realized what happened. Never had this happen before but I have heard of a case or two, just never thought it would happen to me.

I immediately started searching when I got home on getbmwparts.com and are my eyes playing tricks on me or are these really $300 a pop? My question is:

1. If I get the non-auto dimming mirrors, would they still fit and work the same but just won't dim?
2. Are the auto dimming mirrors the only one that's heated too? Or are the non-dimming ones also heated?

I have tints and the auto dimming just makes everything too dark anyway so I wouldn't mind getting the non-auto dimming. Plus it's about 4x cheaper to replace, and I don't want to replace it with the auto dimming ones only to get stolen again. And is the install as easy as just connecting the wire and pushing the mirror in place? Thanks for the help everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

feel sorry for you...
check out on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...rrors&_sacat=0

you could buy the EU version
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

This is the exact reason I didn't get M3 mirror replacements. I love my autodim mirrors too much and the glass parts are ridiculously expensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
starrfyr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV Giga

Garage List
2014 i3 REx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK
Some scumbags got me tonight after I parked my car in LIC in Queens, NY. Was about to get in my car and noticed something was off then realized what happened. Never had this happen before but I have heard of a case or two, just never thought it would happen to me.

I immediately started searching when I got home on getbmwparts.com and are my eyes playing tricks on me or are these really $300 a pop? My question is:

1. If I get the non-auto dimming mirrors, would they still fit and work the same but just won't dim?
2. Are the auto dimming mirrors the only one that's heated too? Or are the non-dimming ones also heated?

I have tints and the auto dimming just makes everything too dark anyway so I wouldn't mind getting the non-auto dimming. Plus it's about 4x cheaper to replace, and I don't want to replace it with the auto dimming ones only to get stolen again. And is the install as easy as just connecting the wire and pushing the mirror in place? Thanks for the help everyone.
Who in the Hell steals mirrors? I've heard NYC is rough but do you need mirrors to look behind you at all times? I'm picturing two guys walking down the street, one with the driver's side mirror and the other with the passenger's side, both of them occasionally glancing into them making sure they don't get mugged.

Tell me it's not that bad there.

2011 E90 M57y, ZPP, 248, 494, 655, 6FL
SOLD and will be missed
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK

Who in the Hell steals mirrors? I've heard NYC is rough but do you need mirrors to look behind you at all times? I'm picturing two guys walking down the street, one with the driver's side mirror and the other with the passenger's side, both of them occasionally glancing into them making sure they don't get mugged.

Tell me it's not that bad there.
Big money on the resell homie. Dolla dolla bill y'aaaaaaalllllllll!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
1slowbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

not the first time ive heard of it happening, ive seen 3 or 4 threads just on e90post about mirrors being stolen
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsih View Post
feel sorry for you...
check out on ebay

Just wait a day or 2 and you can probably buy your own back on ebay! Crazy what they will steel, had a friend with an early S4 with Xenon's and apparently they could be removed without opening the hood - he had them stolen 2 times and then his insurance dropped coverage for the lights!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

That's what insurance is for, just let them replace them, comp doesn't affect rates, and I doubt they will find used or aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

I can't believe it. What the hell is wrong with people? Can't they just stop behaving like this. I saw on this forum someone had their wheels stolen, another had their car keyed. This gets me so, so angry, because I know how hard we work to pay for our cars, and keep our cars looking good. I had my car egged on my drivers side door, and my tire valve caps stolen. May those who vandalize, and steal from others rot in HELL.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsih View Post
feel sorry for you...
check out on ebay

Just wait a day or 2 and you can probably buy your own back on ebay! Crazy what they will steel, had a friend with an early S4 with Xenon's and apparently they could be removed without opening the hood - he had them stolen 2 times and then his insurance dropped coverage for the lights!
Haha- sad but true. Sorry OP- keep your head up.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Drove around today with no mirrors and I had to be very careful and turn my head around to check to make sure I was clear before merging lanes.

I searched around and these can be had for around $500 shipped from getbmwparts.com but I decided to get the non dimming ones for $136 shipped instead. I will miss the auto dimming, but don't think I really ever felt like I couldn't live without them so decided to save some (well, a lot) of $ and get the non dimming. Plus I have tints so don't really need the dim feature.

Still pisses me off that this happened but I'm thankful that it wasn't any worse.
Appreciate 0