E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Helix Attache - First Impressions

04-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #67
ohsnap
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Can anyone post a picture of the harness (DME end), if the Helix guys don't oppose it?
here are a few pics of the tune, harness and final install pics
Attached Images

04-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #68
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Where does the box sit? Outside the ECU?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it....
      04-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #69
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Lookin good
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 12:14 AM   #70
veightkiller
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
Helix or Vishnu?
Helix
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #71
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
here are a few pics of the tune, harness and final install pics
Unit looks real nice and clean
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #72
Alex@Helix
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by veightkiller View Post
Helix
Sorry that we didn't get back to you. If you still have any questions, or have any in the future feel free to shoot me a pm or email me at alex@helix13.com.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 06:32 AM   #73
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
there are absolutely no splices with the Helix install its all factory connectors.
Super. Thanks for confirming.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 06:38 AM   #74
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
+1, the install is very clean and well laid out. all the connectors utilize factory/oe pins which basically plug into each other. i was quite impressed as each wire pair is clearly labeled and protected with heatshrink. helix did a very good job with the harness which makes it a no brainer with the install.

Can you elaborate on the heat shrink they utilize?
I understand, obviously this is a more secure and long term error-free way to protect the wires in an install, but, what about (most) people who will remove this before going in for service? Is the heat shrink on there in a way that it will make things a royal PITA to remove (and then reinstall if the shrink is wrecked) and possibly cut and mar wires when trying to slice off the shrink?

Looking at the pics posted a few posts up, I don't see how any connections that you pull in or our during an install/uninstall would be hea shrinked. It looks like only the long middle length of the wires is wrapped, so this probably isn't an issue like I'm asking about above.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #75
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
if Ohsnap gets me some air fuel data when he dynos the car I can definitely custom tune a map for him.
I may simply have to cut the difference between the 2 maps.
Its nice to see when vendors help out their customers. Keep up the good work.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #76
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex@helix View Post
Sorry that we didn't get back to you. If you still have any questions, or have any in the future feel free to shoot me a pm or email me at alex@helix13.com.
I never have a problem contacting Helix. Either by phone, email or PM... i always get a response and quick too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
I understand, obviously this is a more secure and long term error-free way to protect the wires in an install, but, what about (most) people who will remove this before going in for service? Is the heat shrink on there in a way that it will make things a royal PITA to remove (and then reinstall if the shrink is wrecked) and possibly cut and mar wires when trying to slice off the shrink?

Looking at the pics posted a few posts up, I don't see how any connections that you pull in or our during an install/uninstall would be hea shrinked. It looks like only the long middle length of the wires is wrapped, so this probably isn't an issue like I'm asking about above.
If u look closely at the 3rd pic posted above, u can see the heat shrink goes over the connections from the Attache wires coming from the harness to the connections going to the OEM wires. Most people use electrical tape instead of shrink wrap. The tape leaves a messy, sticky residue when u remove it tho. If anyone ever looked in ur ECU compartment when u used tape, they could tell right away it was tampered with. The shrink wrap tubing can be easily removed with a razor or pair of scissors. Once u remove it, that same shrink wrap tubing can't be used again. You would need to go pick up some more at the local electronics store (radio shack) and put it over the cables again and hit it with heat from a lighter. You can pick up a big piece of it for just a couple of bucks. Shrink tubing is the proper way all electronics should be wrapped in! Hope that clears it up for u
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #77
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

Mark(TTurbo) updated my Attache' yesterday for the Riss dp's Helix installed for me a couple of weeks ago...

The car felt more power with just the dp's but the overall smoothness that i loved about the attache' was gone. Best way I think I can word it is the car felt powerful with the dps but it felt as if it was being restricted. Kinda like telling mike tyson(back in the day) that he could punch.. but only jab with his left. The power was there just not being fully utilized.

Now.. holy hell. The smoothness is back with even more power then before. The riss pipes and the attache work damnnn well together.

I'm hoping to get down to atco soon.. Rain has been killing us lately. I'll post up some dyno's as soon as we make it down. I might even have the FMIC by then too..
      04-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #78
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

VERY happy to hear that

are you running an intake?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #79
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

stock intake.. Section 3 of the "race" exhaust from umm yeah.
      04-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #80
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj323ci View Post
I never have a problem contacting Helix. Either by phone, email or PM... i always get a response and quick too!

If u look closely at the 3rd pic posted above, u can see the heat shrink goes over the connections from the Attache wires coming from the harness to the connections going to the OEM wires. Most people use electrical tape instead of shrink wrap. The tape leaves a messy, sticky residue when u remove it tho. If anyone ever looked in ur ECU compartment when u used tape, they could tell right away it was tampered with. The shrink wrap tubing can be easily removed with a razor or pair of scissors. Once u remove it, that same shrink wrap tubing can't be used again. You would need to go pick up some more at the local electronics store (radio shack) and put it over the cables again and hit it with heat from a lighter. You can pick up a big piece of it for just a couple of bucks. Shrink tubing is the proper way all electronics should be wrapped in! Hope that clears it up for u
Getting the shrink wrap off requires a single edged razor blade and a little patience. The advantage is, as mentioned above, there's no residue, and that it doesn't unwind over time under hot conditions. If any Attache user has to remove it, and wants to reinstall, we'll send you more shrink wrap for the price of two stamps.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #81
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post
Getting the shrink wrap off requires a single edged razor blade and a little patience. The advantage is, as mentioned above, there's no residue, and that it doesn't unwind over time under hot conditions. If any Attache user has to remove it, and wants to reinstall, we'll send you more shrink wrap for the price of two stamps.
Sounds good. I will still be paranoid when slicing the shrink wrap off...I can see my idiot self not being steady with it and slicing right into the insulation of the wire. Also, same goes for re-applying shrink when re-installing...I can see me melting or lighting the wire when trying to shrink it with the flame! I guess you really do need to use a lighter flame though. I don't think a hairdryer or something would be hot enough.

Well, I think I may try to stop down to your shop when I'm ready to get this thing and watch how you guys do it the first time, so I know. (Don't mean to impose, I just thought I remembered reading that you would install for locals who come there...oppologies if this isn't something you do).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #82
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Any word as to when the next batch will be available?
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #83
ohsnap
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post

the heatshrink covers the connection between the male/female pins (picture #1). since the pins (picture #2) don't actually click/lock together per se, it would be quite easy for the connection to pull apart. heatshrink provides a much cleaner method and protection versus tape imo.

as many have already stated, the advantage is it leaves no residue from tape after long durations. of course the downside is the removal is not as easy as electrical tape so if you plan on removing frequently, your best bet would be using tape though i would still stick with the heatshrink. the best tool i have found is the mini scissors included in the good ol' swiss army knives (picture #3). you can litereally cut the heatshrink sleeve in a matter of seconds without damaging the wires/connectors.
Attached Images

04-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #84
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
Any word as to when the next batch will be available?
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #85
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399 View Post
+1
literally any day now...we already have a few harnesses complete and ready to go
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #86
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #87
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

Take your time, i know the wait will be well worth it!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #88
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Don't know if I've missed it, but has any customer done pre and post Attache dynos on straight 91oct with an otherwise stock car?
Appreciate 0