E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Europe Maps vs. North America Maps

11-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Europe Maps vs. North America Maps

I picked up my 2009 335i two weeks ago with what is basically a European Delivery, i.e., US spec in Europe. BMW now loads the navigation maps at the factory instead of supplying a DVD and updates will require a visit to your friendly (?) service department. My car came with North America maps loaded but I am trying to get the European maps as well. The system is so new there aren't any new maps and the dealers either don't have the software for the upgrade or don't have the maps themselves.

I've asked whether my 2006-1 data can be uploaded to the hard drive since I've already paid for it and it will suit me fine for the next few months. The local dealership has said that it won't work because of the additional data involved with the upgraded maps. I then asked whether North America can co-exist with Europe. Is there space on the disc for both sets of maps? If the European maps are loaded will it wipe out North America; maps I've already paid for? No one here seems to have the full answer and even BMW AG appears confused. So, what happens when someone orders through ED? Do they get Europe with delivery but have to pay again to get North America reloaded once the car is delivered stateside?

I thought the hard drive was only 40GB but apparently it is more like 80GB. The technician showed me the partitioning information on the disc and it had the SatNav with 65GB. Apparently those new maps are highly detailed since the old SatNav worked off a 4.7 GB DVD. Unfortunately, with North America 4000 miles away I can't get my SatNav to show me the maps so I can't verify this. It merely tells me, if I set a US destination, that "Your destination is in the shown direction".

Does anyone have any information on a solution to my dilema?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269

Last edited by SoYank; 11-07-2008 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
ncoig
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: The women crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I picked up my 2009 335i two weeks ago with what is basically a European Delivery, i.e., US spec in Europe. BMW now loads the navigation maps at the factory instead of supplying a DVD and updates will require a visit to your friendly (?) service department. My car came with North America maps loaded but I am trying to get the European maps as well. The system is so new there aren't any new maps and the dealers either don't have the software for the upgrade or don't have the maps themselves.

I've asked whether my 2006-1 data can be uploaded to the hard drive since I've already paid for it and it will suit me fine for the next few months. The local dealership has said that it won't work because of the additional data involved with the upgraded maps. I then asked whether North America can co-exist with Europe. Is there space on the disc for both sets of maps? If the European maps are loaded will it wipe out North America; maps I've already paid for? No one here seems to have the full answer and even BMW AG appears confused. So, what happens when someone orders through ED? Do they get Europe with delivery but have to pay again to get North America reloaded once the car is delivered stateside?

I thought the hard drive was only 40GB but apparently it is more like 80GB. The technician showed me the partitioning information on the disc and it had the SatNav with 65GB. Apparently those new maps are highly detailed since the old SatNav worked off a 4.7 GB DVD. Unfortunately, with North America 4000 miles away I can't get my SatNav to show me the maps so I can't verify this. It merely tells me, if I set a US destination, that "Your destination is in the shown direction".

Does anyone have any information on a solution to my dilema?
The information I received indicated the Euro maps would be loaded upon my ED, and the system wiped and the US information to replace that as part of the "PDI" stateside.

Did your European map data not work?

-N
2004 S60R AWD 6M Prem/Clim/Tour/Nav/18"/CK3000/V1 (Retired)
1999 Frontier XE-V6 4WD - F/R ARB Lockers
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoig View Post
The information I received indicated the Euro maps would be loaded upon my ED, and the system wiped and the US information to replace that as part of the "PDI" stateside.

Did your European map data not work?

-N
I haven't gotten it. My car has North America.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fόnfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
For European Delivery cars, BMW loads European maps, not U.S. maps, into the system (for non-E.D. U.S. cars, BMW loads North American maps). I'm not sure when BMW loads the U.S. maps but it might be done at the VDC.

Since BMW has a new map content partner, older map data won't work.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 04:53 AM   #5
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Can both European maps AND North American maps coexist on the car simultaneously? That is my question. Why or why not? 65GB is a helluva lot of space.
Appreciate 0