E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320si intermittent starting problem

05-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #529
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertml View Post
Hi thanks for that.

Is 5W/30 oil best to use?
Thanks
in a nutshell yes 5-30 LL04 specs the way to go, oil is critical on these cars as is regular oil change cycles, if you were to do day 6000-8000 miles per year there's potential to have the same oil in the sump for say over2 years and this isn't good for the car and most people will be guided by the indicator which will count down the mileage to the next service, we recommend that of you want to do the best fir your engine's long term well being change the oil every year or even reduce these times, I'm changing my oil twice a year yet I do 8k PA, I cycle the oil change to September and March thus in September changing the oil before the cold sets in and in March changing again with fresh stuff to basically ensure good thin oil is circulating through my engine, sounds a little bit OTT but when you see what poor oil condition can do to a cars internals for me it's something that I am able to do to help prolong internal engine life.
      05-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #530
cobalt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320si

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
in a nutshell yes 5-30 LL04 specs the way to go, oil is critical on these cars as is regular oil change cycles, if you were to do day 6000-8000 miles per year there's potential to have the same oil in the sump for say over2 years and this isn't good for the car and most people will be guided by the indicator which will count down the mileage to the next service, we recommend that of you want to do the best fir your engine's long term well being change the oil every year or even reduce these times, I'm changing my oil twice a year yet I do 8k PA, I cycle the oil change to September and March thus in September changing the oil before the cold sets in and in March changing again with fresh stuff to basically ensure good thin oil is circulating through my engine, sounds a little bit OTT but when you see what poor oil condition can do to a cars internals for me it's something that I am able to do to help prolong internal engine life.

the information that the BC gives is: oil change weather from mileage or time as well. just for your information.

this is the same also for other changes in the car that have to do with service like for example cabin air filter, spark plugs, brake fluids etc...

the only reading which is changed according to mileage from the BC are the brake pads. and this is not also correct exactly. they have another sensor for giving this information.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #531
mistertml
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i SE Edition

Garage List
Some news
The dealer had come back to say the cars beyond repair.

But he's reluctant to give me my money back as he wants to source another for me?

What should I do now?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #532
kri35
Rep
Drives: e90 320si

Quote:
Hi thanks for that.

Thanks
NO! W30 film is to thin , use W40, and use LL-01 not LL-04 as bmw recommended it is very importend in 320si...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 05:35 AM   #533
mistertml
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i SE Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kri35
Quote:
Hi thanks for that.

Thanks
NO! W30 film is to thin , use W40, and use LL-01 not LL-04 as bmw recommended it is very importend in 320si...
No longer an issue as I don't have one anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #534
Jan E.
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 320si

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirc05 View Post
Hi guys,

I have 320si which had 2 cylinders cracked. I ended up buying a new short block with pistons.

Now, it is time to adjust the camshaft timing, but I am not able to find the special tools to do it.

I have been assured that the tool kit for N45 B16 is also suitable for N45 B20, but it doesn't fit.

In the workshop manual says that special tool "11 0 490" is needed, but couldn't find anyone who sells it or rents it out.

Do any of you have an idea where I can buy this kit?

Thanks.

Did you find the solution on this tool problem?

Forward left lifting eye (pn: 11127556430) is also used as a special tool for locking up someting in the head. Or to fix a special tool.
When my engine was in for a rebuild the shop wanted me to sendt the liftingeye (I removed it before I shiped the engine), cause they needed it for lining something in the head.
Appreciate 0