E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320si intermittent starting problem

07-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #45
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...bmw_320si.html

It doesn't bother me that it was built after their sucess - as mines a company car as opposed to daddy's car........

I can crash mine without my dad telling me off

well then, mines more mine than yours
      07-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #46
320sitr
Rep
Drives: 320si

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty's Si View Post
Hi, what's the problem (I'm no expert on women, money or booze).
Starting problem of your 320si, i have the cold starting problem too..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #47
Monty's Si
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 Si Carbon Black

Hi well my si is in the BMW dealership and had a message on my answer phone tonight from the technician asking about my issues, I take it from that the logged faults in the OBC doesn't tell him what parts are needed to fix problem.

Did your poor cold start problem start after
1.you had taken your engine to the red line
or
2.you had been driving in heavy rain and you found next time you started your car the rough idle was evident.
or
3. something else

your answer might give a pointer to what parts might be at fault.

let me know

Paul
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 04:36 PM   #48
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
well then, mines more mine than yours
Ah but it aint yours so as mine is my name (lease car - loan) - get yourself a 335d in your name then it will be better -
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #49
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]

- Hmm yes I do drive enthusiastically (Polite answer for yes I thrash the living daylights out of it) the BMW Assist technician laughed when I gave him this answer.

2.you had been driving in heavy rain and you found next time you started your car the rough idle was evident.

- Meaning water ingress on an electrical component is occuring

3. something else

- We have no idea and we will swap parts that we can't get from BMW (as its the 320si specifc part) and make you wait two weeks+ for it to arrive from Germany as it isn't in stock - bit like the gasket that was changed on mine when the valve clearance was checked.

I have noticed mine to be quite good in the last few days - the responsiveness is much better - i'm sure the BMW tech has changed the idle reference speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #50
320sitr
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi well my si is in the BMW dealership and had a message on my answer phone tonight from the technician asking about my issues, I take it from that the logged faults in the OBC doesn't tell him what parts are needed to fix problem.

or
or
3. something else

your answer might give a pointer to what parts might be at fault.

let me know

Paul
Hi

I purchased my car second hand from another city (about 200 km far away). No heavy rain or rain drop at the road. I drive to my home and i parked car. After that i push the start engine button at the morning, surprise idle is irregular and engine is stalling but engine not stopped. Thats the story. One point i remember, when i was purchased the car fuel tank is empty, i mean it is bare. But i dont think it is fuel parts failure. Idling failures generally indicates air sensor failures.

Another point, i call my car's first owner and i asked the idling problem. He sad me "This problem not exist when i was driving the si" He thinking car wasn't started at the dealer for couple days, may be reason is this. But i dont think so..

My dealer check problem, but dont find any failure. I hope your dealer can find the problem. Let me know please.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #51
320sitr
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post

3. something else

- We have no idea and we will swap parts that we can't get from BMW (as its the 320si specifc part) and make you wait two weeks+ for it to arrive from Germany as it isn't in stock
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #52
Monty's Si
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320sitr View Post
Hi

I purchased my car second hand from another city (about 200 km far away). No heavy rain or rain drop at the road. I drive to my home and i parked car. After that i push the start engine button at the morning, surprise idle is irregular and engine is stalling but engine not stopped. Thats the story. One point i remember, when i was purchased the car fuel tank is empty, i mean it is bare. But i dont think it is fuel parts failure. Idling failures generally indicates air sensor failures.

Another point, i call my car's first owner and i asked the idling problem. He sad me "This problem not exist when i was driving the si" He thinking car wasn't started at the dealer for couple days, may be reason is this. But i dont think so..

My dealer check problem, but dont find any failure. I hope your dealer can find the problem. Let me know please.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.
Your english is fine, update tonight from BMW. We have replicated fault and have cure but it is masking another fault and we have contacted BMW HQ for advice (I think they may have to do this before changing several parts). Heres hoping for a long term cure.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #53
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Your english is fine, update tonight from BMW. We have replicated fault and have cure but it is masking another fault and we have contacted BMW HQ for advice (I think they may have to do this before changing several parts). Heres hoping for a long term cure.

Paul
The BMW assist guy refer this as a "Puma incident" their in house term for problem cases
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #54
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:

Paul
My situation has also moved along. My lease company have put pressure on BMW and told them to take my car and provide me a replacement car while they look at my car. It goes in on the 16th.

Let me know what they find on your's monty
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #55
320sitr
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:

Paul
My dealer, check the problem again today, but found nothing and even have any idea... actually i dont expect found something, because dealer in my city is worst in tr...

I suspect from these parts for now, i arrange possibilities high to low

1. Injection (can be dirty or choked) - cleaning injection can solve the problem
2. Air flowmeter sensor
3. Idling valve
4. Fuel pump

I'm waiting curiously paul. I hope, you can solve problem in short time. Please update the progress. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #56
Monty's Si
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Phoned garage this afternoon, haven't told them yet they have a live audience. But BMW Technical came back to the engineer and said change the throttle potentiometer, not in stock but hoping to get it back tomorrow will keep all informed. By the way ShereKhan accept nothing less than a 5 series I've quite enjoyed cruising about getting 49mpg (not the elusive 50 though) but it gets a wobbly on through the bends.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #57
320sitr
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Phoned garage this afternoon, haven't told them yet they have a live audience. But BMW Technical came back to the engineer and said change the throttle potentiometer, not in stock but hoping to get it back tomorrow will keep all informed. By the way ShereKhan accept nothing less than a 5 series I've quite enjoyed cruising about getting 49mpg (not the elusive 50 though) but it gets a wobbly on through the bends.

Paul
Good luck paul, we have waiting good news. Thanks for the information.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #58
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:

Paul
I doubt i'll get a 5 series - My dealer only keeps 1's and 3's as their courtesy cars. I had my first 320 touring last time it was in. I've always had 1's before.
Quite fancy a E92 coupe to drive though. I definately won't accept a 1 series as it won't be fit for my work use - too small.

I've been in 3 times since I've had the car - one was for a service. I'm due another service (spark plugs) in about 4k miles. So that'll be 5 visits in twelve months!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 04:45 AM   #59
Monty's Si
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

320si returned BMW has changed the throttle potentiometer, I'm to report back with my findings. Straight away there appears to be a difference with reaction time between me putting the throttle to the floor as though the throttle range has been shortened and the acceleration has been slowed up on the engine these are only immediate thoughts before the throttle was fairly linear with the acceleration. Idle is fine though. Will continue to report back.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #60
320sitr
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
320si returned BMW has changed the throttle potentiometer, I'm to report back with my findings. Straight away there appears to be a difference with reaction time between me putting the throttle to the floor as though the throttle range has been shortened and the acceleration has been slowed up on the engine these are only immediate thoughts before the throttle was fairly linear with the acceleration. Idle is fine though. Will continue to report back.

Paul
Hi Paul

Thanks for the information. Please write about idle tomorrow, i want to learn idle is stable or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #61
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:

Paul

Are you saying that the acceleration is now slower? Thats not good if thats the case. Have they fitted the right throttle potentiometer?

One thing I was going to ask you chaps to look at is the MPG gauge.

I've noticed that when my car is rolling along in neutral in traffic the MPG seems to showing halfway then after 10 secs or so it shoots to the max MPG mark as you'd expect. It's weird that it hovers at half way when rolling along.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #62
320sitr
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
I agree with you sherekhan, this is worst than the idling problem. I dont want a new problem with my car, idling problem enough to me.

MPG gauge movement is normal, there is nothing weird, it just bmw style.

What about your car, when do you give to dealer?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 04:23 AM   #63
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree with you sherekhan, this is worst than the idling problem. I dont want a new problem with my car, idling problem enough to me.

MPG gauge movement is normal, there is nothing weird, it just bmw style.

What about your car, when do you give to dealer?
Mine goes in on the 16th.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #64
320sitr
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Paul do you find any progress about idling, what about your acceleration? Still is slow, or temporary situation?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #65
Monty's Si
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Paul do you find any progress about idling, what about your acceleration? Still is slow, or temporary situation?
Update
Put 300 miles on the car today and happy to say all seems fine. In fact I would say pulling away is far smoother. Some of the problems on Friday may have been due to me filling up with super unleaded after a while on normal unleaded this might have caused the ecu to recalibrate itself but no expert on how seemless swopping between 97/97 and 99 is. Have a few hundred miles to cover for the rest of the week so will keep you posted.
Anyone interested in obtaining a 320si have just missed the opportunity at Sycamores, Peterborough however they did mention they are expecting another in a couple of weeks time.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #66
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Update
Put 300 miles on the car today and happy to say all seems fine. In fact I would say pulling away is far smoother. Some of the problems on Friday may have been due to me filling up with super unleaded after a while on normal unleaded this might have caused the ecu to recalibrate itself but no expert on how seemless swopping between 97/97 and 99 is. Have a few hundred miles to cover for the rest of the week so will keep you posted.
Anyone interested in obtaining a 320si have just missed the opportunity at Sycamores, Peterborough however they did mention they are expecting another in a couple of weeks time.

Paul
I think the 95/99 switchover is seamless. I've ran the car on 95/97/99 and 100 (in Germany). The 100 is defo worth it when in Germany as it just gives it that oomph on the autobahn.

Had a bit if a prang this morning - shunted my car into another.
So looks like my car is going to go into a garage for more time
Appreciate 0