E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Steering seem a bit heavy

03-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Steering seem a bit heavy

Ok as few of you might know that I traded my 130i with a 335i last week the only thing that is bothering me is the steering wheel. For some reason my 130i's steering wheel was a bit lighter than 335i. So is it normal or there is something wrong with it. Afaik my facelift 130i had electric steering wheel compared to pre facelift 130i and on an other forum most of 130i owner were agreed that the facelift cars have less feeling with regards to the steering wheel, so could this be the cause ?

Your input is much appreciated on this matter. Thanks

Last edited by webwysard; 03-13-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

I think your 335 has hydraulic steering (which imo is much better than the servotronic/electric one). Does it feel unnaturally heavy?

When I first got my car it felt quite heavy to me but I got used to it pretty quickly and now prefer it over any other cars. Once you get used to it the weighting is "just right".

The feel should be good, I find the feedback to be quite informative, you can "feel" the road nicely. When cornering, after initial turn-in you should feel the wheel load-up (particularly when you start to apply the power).

The heaviness is more noticeable at low speeds but at higher speeds the extra weight allows you to be much more precise with your inputs.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
I think your 335 has hydraulic steering (which imo is much better than the servotronic/electric one). Does it feel unnaturally heavy?

When I first got my car it felt quite heavy to me but I got used to it pretty quickly and now prefer it over any other cars. Once you get used to it the weighting is "just right".

The feel should be good, I find the feedback to be quite informative, you can "feel" the road nicely. When cornering, after initial turn-in you should feel the wheel load-up (particularly when you start to apply the power).

The heaviness is more noticeable at low speeds but at higher speeds the extra weight allows you to be much more precise with your inputs.
To be honest I like it being little heavy, as you said it gives a better feeling but wasn't sure if its normal hence my concern.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
TN is correct - 335d and 335i have "proper" hydraulic steering. All other models (except the M3) have electrical vagueness built in. It's because 335i and 335d drivers are real men.
Appreciate 0