E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Insurance required when financing a car even when u don't drive it?

09-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Bescacho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 X-Drive

Insurance required when financing a car even when u don't drive it?

Hi,

I am currently financing my car with BMW financial with a couple years left. I won't be driving my car for the next 12 months (or longer) due to regular travels but would like to keep my car. As such, I was thinking of taking off the insurance on the car for the period I am travelling. I do have access to another car at home which is insured.

Would BMW financial or the law allow me to not have insurance on the car while I keep financing it?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

A condition of any financing contract on a vehicle is that it have insurance, even if it's not being driven. Why would BMW Financial want to take the risk that an uninsured vehicle gets stolen, vandalized, or damaged by fire/flood? Quite frankly, why would you?

There is an insurance product designed exactly for your situation called storage insurance.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
PepE92M3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3

Just switch your insurance to comprehensive only & BMW Financial is allowing that.

Retired: 12 E82 135i, 11 E88 128i, 05 E46 M3, 07 E92 328i, 07 X3 3.0is, 88 E30 325i, 84 E30 318i
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Bescacho
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. I will look into both storage and comprehensive only insurances.

Is there any particular insurance company good at these types of insurance? I am currently with CAA Insurance.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 04:19 AM   #5
PepE92M3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3

I'm with TD and all auto insurance have that.

Retired: 12 E82 135i, 11 E88 128i, 05 E46 M3, 07 E92 328i, 07 X3 3.0is, 88 E30 325i, 84 E30 318i
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Bescacho
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
lilez19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Take all the coverages out .. Just keep comprehensive on it because you won't be driving it. In case it gets stolen, vandalized or anything like that it should be covered and that coverage is really cheap

I work for State Farm and we can do just comprehensive
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Bescacho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilez19 View Post
Take all the coverages out .. Just keep comprehensive on it because you won't be driving it. In case it gets stolen, vandalized or anything like that it should be covered and that coverage is really cheap

Thank you and I might reach out to you if my insurance company doesn't give me a reasonable price
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
lilez19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bescacho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilez19 View Post

Thank you and I might reach out to you if my insurance company doesn't give me a reasonable price
Yeah no problem, just let me know , if you are in Texas ill be able to help you out, if not I can talk to another agent by your place
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

A word of caution, taking advice from a State Farm employee in the US about Canadian insurance is risky (no offence lilez19).

In BC, for example, you cannot buy stand alone comprehensive. You must have basic insurance ($200K liability, accident benefits) to purchase comprehensive. Storage insurance was the only product that would give you comprehensive coverage on a stored vehicle.

Given the minimum liability rules in all jurisdictions in Canada, I would be surprised if Ontario was any different. That said, I never worked in Ontario when I was in the industry (10 years as a claims adjuster/examiner/manager) so I won't guarantee that, but I can say that Texas and Ontario would run different auto insurance regimes.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
lilez19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
A word of caution, taking advice from a State Farm employee in the US about Canadian insurance is risky (no offence lilez19).

In BC, for example, you cannot buy stand alone comprehensive. You must have basic insurance ($200K liability, accident benefits) to purchase comprehensive. Storage insurance was the only product that would give you comprehensive coverage on a stored vehicle.

Given the minimum liability rules in all jurisdictions in Canada, I would be surprised if Ontario was any different. That said, I never worked in Ontario when I was in the industry (10 years as a claims adjuster/examiner/manager) so I won't guarantee that, but I can say that Texas and Ontario would run different auto insurance regimes.

ah well yeah different law, i didnt notice that he was living in Canada lol ,sorry. but yeah you are correct
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
cokelon
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 323i

Garage List
2010 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post

And in Ontario if I'm not mistaken if you are financing a vehicle you are required to have full insurance for it. The only way that you can reduce your cost is when they ask you for the amount of km's driven each day or per month you give them like 100 you get a break. Other than that you need to have full coverage.

That's last I heard 2 years ago when I had a newer car and I was driving my winter beater I was still paying full cov but less because I wasn't driving it. The won't do comprehensive because in an emergency you take your car out you crash it yes sure the insurance will pay the other persons vehicle and you will be questioned up the ying yang why you were driving the other car when you said you wouldn't. So now you are stuck paying a damaged car financing and insurance. I'm with TD too
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bescacho
Hi,

I am currently financing my car with BMW financial with a couple years left. I won't be driving my car for the next 12 months (or longer) due to regular travels but would like to keep my car. As such, I was thinking of taking off the insurance on the car for the period I am travelling. I do have access to another car at home which is insured.

Would BMW financial or the law allow me to not have insurance on the car while I keep financing it?

Thanks in advance!
OP, stay with CAA and request coverage reduction to fire/theft (comprehensive). It'll keep your current policy intact and you shouldn't be paying more than $20-30/month.

Ontario does not require you to have minimum insurance on any vehicle that is parked while registered to you (as long as you don't try to drive) However, when being financed (lien holder exists), you are required to have full coverage up until you park it. When parked, the lien holder will allow a reduction to comprehensive assuming you are parked and not driving. Keep in mind most insurers have a limit on the period that allows a car to be "parked".

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Bescacho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
OP, stay with CAA and request coverage reduction to fire/theft (comprehensive). It'll keep your current policy intact and you shouldn't be paying more than $20-30/month.

Ontario does not require you to have minimum insurance on any vehicle that is parked while registered to you (as long as you don't try to drive) However, when being financed (lien holder exists), you are required to have full coverage up until you park it. When parked, the lien holder will allow a reduction to comprehensive assuming you are parked and not driving. Keep in mind most insurers have a limit on the period that allows a car to be "parked".

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask
Hi all, thanks a lot for the replies! I thought no one would chime in anymore after the first few replies so I didn't come back to check...

Anyway, I am with CAA and the rep told me that I could get COMPREHENSIVE only but CAA would require a written letter from the financial company (i.e. BMW Financial) granting approval of the car being under comprehensive coverage only. As the replies mentioned, I can't drive the car until I put back on full coverage.

Although there is no limit on the number of times switching b/n full coverage and comprehensive only, however, CAA requires the policy holder to stay with either coverage for at least 60 days. In other words, I can't switch b/n policy until 60 days later after switching.

The cost of comprehensive coverage only comes to ~C$24/month with CAA.
Appreciate 0