E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2009 Navi question (about 6FL)

01-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
LZM Ray
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 50i MSport AlpineWhite

Unhappy 2009 Navi question (about 6FL)

Hello i have tried searching maybe I'mjustnot too good at it,

I have ordered a 2009 335ixdrive coupe with NAvigation BUT, did not get the 6FL option

the dealer told me that there will be a UB to load multimedia in to the hard drive through a standard USB slot in the GLOVE box not the center console. am i out of luck? can i still use USB thumb drive to store and play music? please help THANKs
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTzRayRay View Post
Hello i have tried searching maybe I'mjustnot too good at it,

I have ordered a 2009 335ixdrive coupe with NAvigation BUT, did not get the 6FL option

the dealer told me that there will be a UB to load multimedia in to the hard drive through a standard USB slot in the GLOVE box not the center console. am i out of luck? can i still use USB thumb drive to store and play music? please help THANKs

No. Without 6FL, you can not play music from a USB flash. You can only use the USB port in the glove compartment to store data on the HD. You'll have to go to an aftermarket solution if you want to play music on external sources.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
LZM Ray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
No. Without 6FL, you can not play music from a USB flash. You can only use the USB port in the glove compartment to store data on the HD. You'll have to go to an aftermarket solution if you want to play music on external sources.
aftermarket solution such as?
store data such as mp3? video? pictures?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
aftermarket solution such as?
store data such as mp3? video? pictures?
thanks
The glove compartment USB does not have the capacity to play music. YOu can only move MP3s from a thumb drive to the HD. It is very limited it utility and only there to help move data to the HD.

I have no information about aftermarket solutions, since I have 6FL. Personally, I'd recommend getting 6FL and saving yourself the trouble. Its really nice. I filled a 32 GB USB flash with music, plugged it in, and now I don't even have to think about CDs or storing music on the HD.

However, if it is too late to get 6FL, I'd say that you can find the names of aftermarket solutions through a search on this forum.

Neither USB port allows you to process videos or pictures, as far as I know. However, this is not something I've looked into.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
LZM Ray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok called my sales rep today and added 6FL hopefully he places this change in the vehicle if not, i guess i can live with jus using the HDD to playmusic if not ill jus return to old fashion MP3 CDz thanks everyone for their advice.

p.s. usb thumb drive to play music from seems to be the ideal option out of all audio entertainment in this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Ok called my sales rep today and added 6FL hopefully he places this change in the vehicle if not, i guess i can live with jus using the HDD to playmusic if not ill jus return to old fashion MP3 CDz thanks everyone for their advice.

p.s. usb thumb drive to play music from seems to be the ideal option out of all audio entertainment in this car.

I totally agree. I don't have to mess with an IPOD or anything. Just burned a big chunk of my music collection to a USB flash drive in Lossless format, and then I have 100s of songs available in CD quality sound.

Right now, you can get a 64 GB Kingston Flash Drive for a little bit more than $100 at Amazon. I bought a 32 GB Flash for only $50. That is a lot of music!

Good luck with your purchase!

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
wamatt
Rep
Drives: 335ci 2009

I have taken delivery of a 2009 335ci yesterday Only thing though is it doesnt have 6FL. Is it possible to order it separately and get it installed? (surely its just a simple connector?)

I didn't want to wait 3-4 months while they prebuilt my car so I took the first one off the ship with the new CiC.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #8
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5m / Alpine White

Quote:
I totally agree. I don't have to mess with an IPOD or anything. Just burned a big chunk of my music collection to a USB flash drive in Lossless format, and then I have 100s of songs available in CD quality sound.

Right now, you can get a 64 GB Kingston Flash Drive for a little bit more than $100 at Amazon. I bought a 32 GB Flash for only $50. That is a lot of music!

Good luck with your purchase!

Just curious, for lossless what format did you do? Just .wav? or one with a tag that you could fill out the song title/etc with?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
wamatt
Rep

So anyone know how to add iPod integration? I have the CIC (new iDrive) and when I open the armrest I see a wierd looking connector thingie.

Surely I just need a cable or something?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefler View Post
Just curious, for lossless what format did you do? Just .wav? or one with a tag that you could fill out the song title/etc with?

I use Window's Media Lossless.

.wav works fine, but the files are too big.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamatt View Post
So anyone know how to add iPod integration? I have the CIC (new iDrive) and when I open the armrest I see a wierd looking connector thingie.

Surely I just need a cable or something?

I don't know what you mean by "weird looking connector." However, you don't have IPOD unless you see a USB port in the armrest.

There is some kind of dealer installed IPOD option but I don't know the details and I don't think it comes with a USB port.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
wamatt
Rep

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "weird looking connector." However, you don't have IPOD unless you see a USB port in the armrest.

There is some kind of dealer installed IPOD option but I don't know the details and I don't think it comes with a USB port.
Thanks I don't have the USB port in the armrest However I will take a picture of this thing. Perhaps it is a connector for a phone.. I honestly dont see why it would be hard to just put a port in and connect it to the CIC...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamatt View Post
Thanks I don't have the USB port in the armrest However I will take a picture of this thing. Perhaps it is a connector for a phone.. I honestly dont see why it would be hard to just put a port in and connect it to the CIC...
There are threads on that on this board. It actually turns out to be a bit harder than your thinking.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93607

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
wamatt
Rep

Sure but from reading the posts the build date seems important. That thread is all older models. Since version 4 iDrive's are pretty damn recent they 6FL option maybe be different?

Or is the idrive not related to the ipod integration. I mean I already have a USB port in the glovebox. I just can't see what's hard about having one in the armrest too.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #15
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

You can actually order 6FL without Idrive. So, I don't think that is an issue.

However, I am not really the right poster to ask about this given that I have 6FL and never had to negotiate aftermarket or dealer-installed solutions.

Seems like it can't hurt to talk to the dealer about this.

The USB port in the glovebox is an entirely different issue. Its not related to IPOD connectivity and doesn't give you those capabilities.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0