E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > does the 335Xi have the option to be RWD like an STI?

08-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #243
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

probably lose power with all of the electronic gizmos going haywire haha
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #244
staytuspro
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 AW M3 Vert

subscribed because of this thread. The conclusion will decide my upcoming car purchase. I love engineers. You all rock.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #245
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

any updates on this? it seemed like a couple of people were really getting serious but have not heard anything in a while
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #246
Blindek
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: E91 330Xi

i noticed one thing, that when u mess or deactivate the steering angle sensor, 4×4 and DSC is turned off, everything else works maybe this can help u out to find a solution(don't know if it affects anything else, everything seems to work fine)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #247
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep
Drives: with both hands on the wheel

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
^^ That sounds better than the alternative of pulling the fuse and have the speedo not work.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #248
Arnold K.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370Z

I would love to see someone do a dyno with the the AWD on and off. I'll pitch in for some of the $90 for a 3-pull run!
      09-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #249
cabophisher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold K. View Post
I would love to see someone do a dyno with the the AWD on and off. I'll pitch in for some of the $90 for a 3-pull run!
I am seriously considering it. I might take you up on the offer. 1 - need to wait until it cools down in texas, 2 - need to find a place in Dallas who can do AWD dynos. I think it would be hilarious to get a video of the dyno run with the windshield wipers going.

Another questions for JB owners...

If I want to do a dyno comparison of map 0 and map 5 (autotune), do I need to do several WOT runs to let the ECU acclimate?
      09-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #250
Surfdog
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Subscribing
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #251
InfamouzPanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive

yes
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #252
Arnold K.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabophisher View Post
I am seriously considering it. I might take you up on the offer. 1 - need to wait until it cools down in texas, 2 - need to find a place in Dallas who can do AWD dynos. I think it would be hilarious to get a video of the dyno run with the windshield wipers going.

If I want to do a dyno comparison of map 0 and map 5 (autotune), do I need to do several WOT runs to let the ECU acclimate?
You got a Paypal account? Post it here. Hopefully a few members can make contributions to it. I'm down to do so - it'll only be beneficial for the community and will be interesting to see what kind of gains will be seen with just one driveshaft turning the wheels vs both shafts.

I got $10 on it.
      09-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #253
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
^ If it's one driveshaft turning the wheels then wouldn't it be the same numbers as a 335i?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #254
Arnold K.
Private First Class
Rep

It should be yes. But the point is to see just how much power an AWD system like that robs, on the same car, on the same dyno, on the same day. It's a great opportunity to get some pretty conclusive and definitive results, because you're eliminating all of the variables that can make dyno results screwy.
      09-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #255
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
I like the idea of seeing the difference of AWD power losses on the same car.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #256
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
You got a Paypal account? Post it here. Hopefully a few members can make contributions to it. I'm down to do so - it'll only be beneficial for the community and will be interesting to see what kind of gains will be seen with just one driveshaft turning the wheels vs both shafts.

I got $10 on it.
10$ ready also
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #257
Arnold K.
Private First Class
Rep

Cabophisher: Post that account, bud. You should be able to accumulate the dyno dough fairly quick.
      09-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #258
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
probably lose power with all of the electronic gizmos going haywire haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by staytuspro View Post
subscribed because of this thread. The conclusion will decide my upcoming car purchase. I love engineers. You all rock.
Quote:
any updates on this? it seemed like a couple of people were really getting serious but have not heard anything in a while
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindek View Post
i noticed one thing, that when u mess or deactivate the steering angle sensor, 4×4 and DSC is turned off, everything else works maybe this can help u out to find a solution(don't know if it affects anything else, everything seems to work fine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aakrusen View Post
^^ That sounds better than the alternative of pulling the fuse and have the speedo not work.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdog View Post
Subscribing
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamouzPanda View Post
yes
Quote:

I got $10 on it.
Quote:
^ If it's one driveshaft turning the wheels then wouldn't it be the same numbers as a 335i?
Quote:
It should be yes. But the point is to see just how much power an AWD system like that robs, on the same car, on the same dyno, on the same day. It's a great opportunity to get some pretty conclusive and definitive results, because you're eliminating all of the variables that can make dyno results screwy.
Quote:
I like the idea of seeing the difference of AWD power losses on the same car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalud View Post
10$ ready also
Quote:
Cabophisher: Post that account, bud. You should be able to accumulate the dyno dough fairly quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpas328xi View Post
Yeah, but you are comparing an i to an xi. The xi has a front diff that stays engaged. All you're doing here with the fuse is disabling the front output. Unless you have disengaging hubs, which the xi does not have, you're still going to be spinning the front drive components and you will still have the same amount of drag. If you read through the thread, people have said that the front output of the transfer case disengages at highway speeds anyway.

So, I predict no improvements in mpg. Change out the intake, that'll give you better mpg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauner335 View Post
I don't know what highway speeds you are going at, but it turns RWD at 100mph, not highway speeds.

I think there will be an increase in gas mileage, however, it will not be noticeable. It will be very slight. You will see the increase because the clutch transferring power to the front will be open, i.e. no friction losses, but you still have the weight from the AWD system. It might be somewhere between an i and xi, leaning a little more towards the xi I would think.

Update on my status:
I am taking tons of data at the moment and trying to reverse engineer some things. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. This is really getting fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeasTridae View Post
Subscribed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpas328xi View Post
I.think that I might be working at this from a different direction to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeGuy View Post
sorry a little late but.........
an sti cannot be dialed in to 100% rwd unless you do a full rwd conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board511 View Post
I'm really looking forward to this I along with probably everybody else in here appreciate all the hard work you are doing to make this happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
OK, jacked the rear end up and let the clutch out slowly and only the rears turned, the fronts did not and did not pull the car on the jack. ? AWD disconnected (goes to 0%) below a certain mph? ?5-10mph?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
Don't let your insurance company see your post. Come on! Think about it. If the AWD drive didn't work below 5 mph, then it wouldn't work from a dead stop, like getting going in snow, so the answer to your question: does it disconnect below a certain speed? The answer is no.
Quote:
Then explain the results. It does makes sense, trying to turn a locked AWD/4WD at low speed is not fun. Maybe the AWD has an algorithm where it must see ?10 revolutions of the rear tires, ? see less than 32 degrees outdoors? But today at 85 degrees and 0mph and rears only rotate 5 revoltions then it stays at 0% and the fronts did not move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
10 revolutions and you would be stuck in mud, sand or snow. The AWD kicks in IMMEDIATELY when slip is detected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klov335 View Post
Xi needs to be lowered, cornering feels like a boat
Quote:
I am just asking a question. How do you explain my findings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2nervisx View Post
Subscribed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Griffin View Post
VERY interesting...subscribed!
Quote:
Quote:
+1
Quote:
check this out: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/15/2...-crazy-burnou/

jeep srt-8 can be programmed to send 100% of the power to the rear wheels through software. can't wait to hopefully do that with ours someday!
Quote:
We need this before the end of summer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP335 View Post
any update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
"In its resting state, a clutch outputting to the front axle sits opens, sending 100 percent of power to the vehicle's rear axle."

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10863_7...s=1&o=10004657
Quote:
Bump and some confirmed information that has been floating around for some time. Right from BMW training manuals:

Also, interesting finding:

Source: http://www.bawarec.ru/manuals/5er/e6...5er-e60-12.pdf
Quote:
Has anyone tried this awd to rwd trick to do a dyno?
Check out the Video, See if you notice anything! You ask, you GET!! I ran with 91 Octane & I have Dinan Exhaust. Results seem horrible!

Attached Images

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here

Last edited by j2m; 09-09-2011 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #259
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Check out the Video, See if you notice anything! You ask, you GET!!
Was this performed with the fuse removed? Looks like the wipers were tripped.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #260
Arnold K.
Private First Class
Rep

Hmm, so peak numbers are the same. But there is clearly gains throughout parts of the powerband. That's pretty interesting.
      09-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #261
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Check out the Video, See if you notice anything! You ask, you GET!! I ran with 91 Octane & I have Dinan Exhaust. Results seem horrible!

Hahaha that's awesome.

But sadly only 1 hp increase..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #262
Arnold K.
Private First Class
Rep

I think the reason why peak numbers are almost the same is because the xDrive shuts off the front driveshaft after 100MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry418 View Post
Hahaha that's awesome.

No it isn't. You're looking at peak numbers. You have to look at the area under the curve - the increases seen throughout the powerband.
      09-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #263
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Yeah those numbers really suck! Can you get 93 octane and a tune maybe? Are you on the older software?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #264
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post
Was this performed with the fuse removed? Looks like the wipers were tripped.
LOL, yeah the fuse was pulled. Definitely no power going to the front wheels, they didn't eve budge.
Quote:
Hmm, so peak numbers are the same. But there is clearly gains throughout parts of the powerband. That's pretty interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry418 View Post
Hahaha that's awesome.
The dyno guy said that at just above 6k RPM the ECU went all weird and started losing power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
Yeah those numbers really suck! Can you get 93 octane and a tune maybe? Are you on the older software?
My last software update was Oct 2010. I am getting DME updated next week and then a downpipe and then I'll try again. Or maybe I should do again after DME update to see what happens???

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0