E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Quarter size Ding/scratch

05-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quarter size Ding/scratch

Hey guys,
Someone just opened their door and hit the back side (right before the door) on my coupe. The dent is the size of a quater and it's right on the crease. Paint is completely off.

Anyway, my question is, will it be difficult to pull the dent when it is on a crease or will most shops just fill it in. Furthermore, my car is a mineral white. Will it difficult to just paint match that spot? Can you guys give me an estimate on how much a good shop will charge me.

Thanks in adv.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Hey guys,
Someone just opened their door and hit the back side (right before the door) on my coupe. The dent is the size of a quater and it's right on the crease. Paint is completely off.

Anyway, my question is, will it be difficult to pull the dent when it is on a crease or will most shops just fill it in. Furthermore, my car is a mineral white. Will it difficult to just paint match that spot? Can you guys give me an estimate on how much a good shop will charge me.

Thanks in adv.
Ouch. Right on the crease and took the paint right off? That wonderful person (hope it's not a loved one) must have kicked their door with all their might at your car.

My first instinct is to always look for paintless dent removal shops and see what they have to say. I don't have any current contacts, but I have seen some people who mix paint in small batches, custom match, and feather in touchups for problems like this. It's hard to guarantee results but I have seen some truly amazing work. About 10 years ago I got some nasty damage to the C-pillar of my E39 from a ceiling-mounted firehose cabinet in a parking garage that backed into because I didn't see it over my shoulder or in my mirrors. "PDR guy" and "scratch guy" did an amazing job.

If it's not a lot of paint missing, there's always Dr. Colorchip too. I've had great success with it in the colours I've tried. I don't know if the system works as well for all colours.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Hey, thanks for the feedback. As much as I'm worried about the paint and I'm also worried about the dent cuz it's very noticeable since its right on the crease.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
jol102001
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I had the EXACT thing happen to me last month; except, mine was on the driver door and it was before the mirror, but still on the crease. It happened at Walmart and so I didn't find out who did it. I was worried about my paint matching, so I went to a car dealership body shop. They wanted to fill it (which I wasn't very fond of) and they quoted me $580. I set up an appointment. Once I started talking to people, I started hearing horror stories about his place. I then went to the best body shop around here (recommended by many people) and they quoted me $520. My insurance premium was $500, so I would pay out of pocket. He said he would take my door apart, pop the dent out (not pull it out, like you want), and repaint. The wait was 3 weeks; so, I thought if he has a 3 week wait, then it must be worth it. I got it back last week and I thought for sure I would be able to see something, considering I have Black Sapphire Metallic. I was mistaken. I couldn't see a thing. Trust me, I looked for a good 5 mins.

Just find the best body shop around and you'll be happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol102001 View Post
I had the EXACT thing happen to me last month; except, mine was on the driver door and it was before the mirror, but still on the crease. It happened at Walmart and so I didn't find out who did it. I was worried about my paint matching, so I went to a car dealership body shop. They wanted to fill it (which I wasn't very fond of) and they quoted me $580. I set up an appointment. Once I started talking to people, I started hearing horror stories about his place. I then went to the best body shop around here (recommended by many people) and they quoted me $520. My insurance premium was $500, so I would pay out of pocket. He said he would take my door apart, pop the dent out (not pull it out, like you want), and repaint. The wait was 3 weeks; so, I thought if he has a 3 week wait, then it must be worth it. I got it back last week and I thought for sure I would be able to see something, considering I have Black Sapphire Metallic. I was mistaken. I couldn't see a thing. Trust me, I looked for a good 5 mins.

Just find the best body shop around and you'll be happy.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I wasn't looking fwd to them filling it in but didn't know it was an option to take the dent out like you described on a crease. There is a really good body shop around here so will get a quote fm em.

It's funny, cuz right when it happened, I was like these kind of things happen in 3s and sure enuff next day something on the highway came flying, hit my mirror housing. Thank God it was covered by 3m film and just left some blue marks. But later that evening I curbed my wheel while parking (totally my fault cuz I was looking at my txt msgs while doing it). Nway I hope I'm done with this string of bad luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Rotten_Ray
Rep
Drives: CT9A

http://www.eurobumperguard.com/car_door_protector.html This might be a good investment.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
swifty
Colonel
Rep

what's PDR?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Laguna3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N55 E92 Msport

Paintless Dent Removal.

I didn't mention this in the other thread because you mentioned that paint was absent on the dent.

T (short for Thilan) at DentXpress in Mississauga (416) 220 - 1921
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Thanks so much guys
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
I dont have a scratch only about 6 little dents in between my driver/passenger side...sucks! I am very happy I found this. Cant wait to try it.

Anyone tried this before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190668024787...84.m1439.l2649

I am so eager to try it. After all its only 20 bucks, versus a dent guy who wants to charge me over 100 to remove them.

I will try it and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
CharlieBear
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 white red sold bc uknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
I dont have a scratch only about 6 little dents in between my driver/passenger side...sucks! I am very happy I found this. Cant wait to try it.

Anyone tried this before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190668024787...84.m1439.l2649

I am so eager to try it. After all its only 20 bucks, versus a dent guy who wants to charge me over 100 to remove them.

I will try it and let you know.

Don't do it! lol.

My coworker and I used it on his rental car bc a deer hit him on a couple of times on the side of a white suv.

Does not work on big dents. but smaller ones it might work but you have becareful with the hot glue. bc it might stick on the car! and it'll be a mess to take off, if you don't do it right.

I wouldn't recommend it.

But good luck! I want to know if you have better luck with it. Since it was a rental and I wasn't involved in the accident, I didn't really care.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
Don't do it! lol.

My coworker and I used it on his rental car bc a deer hit him on a couple of times on the side of a white suv.

Does not work on big dents. but smaller ones it might work but you have becareful with the hot glue. bc it might stick on the car! and it'll be a mess to take off, if you don't do it right.

I wouldn't recommend it.

But good luck! I want to know if you have better luck with it. Since it was a rental and I wasn't involved in the accident, I didn't really care.

Hi there, thanks for the advice but i was planning to use the arc piece with the sucking cub only. Its possible right? I only have dents about a dime in size between my driver side doors.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
CharlieBear
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 white red sold bc uknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Hi there, thanks for the advice but i was planning to use the arc piece with the sucking cub only. Its possible right? I only have dents about a dime in size between my driver side doors.
No no, there is no "sucking cub." You HAVE to use the hot glue on the black pieces for it to "work". Then you'll have to risk of scrapping of dry hot glue off your car, which doesn't come off easily.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
No no, there is no "sucking cub." You HAVE to use the hot glue on the black pieces for it to "work". Then you'll have to risk of scrapping of dry hot glue off your car, which doesn't come off easily.
WTF!! really?? lol ...man I better check the videos before anything. Thanks for the advice man. I will have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0