E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My Open Source N54 DME Flashing Project

04-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #133
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RombinHood2 View Post

Also, it was recently brought to my attention Josh Dinkel, ECU Engineer at Cobb Tuning, has claimed to initiate discussions of legal action within his company. He publicly stated that I have "stolen" his work . In my opinion, it is hypocritical for a reverse engineer to blame another reverse engineer for reverse engineering something that neither of them created. Unless Mr. Dinkel is a representative of Seimens VDO, I think he should be more careful of the accusations he makes. If his claim is that I have taken advantage of his map discovery work, let it be known that there are others with said knowledge and willingness to share it. And I have already thanked them for it. As an employ of a company that profits on closed tuning hardware, I understand Josh's dismay. But there is nothing that I can do about it. Progress will always take its course. As always, I appreciate all the support and encouragement I've received and look forward to further developments.
If Cobb tries to stifle you legally without any solid proof of wrong-doing on your end, please let us know. I'm on the verge of ditching my Cobb platform on my GT-R as Cobb falls further behind the curve, and I'm sure that market and others would love to hear about Cobb's anti-competitive behavior. It'll just strengthen ECUtek's momentum in the GT-R world even more at the very least.

Cobb, you guys are treading on very thin ice if there's no real, solid substance to your case. The potential for a detrimental effect on your brand FAR outweighs the benefits, IMO.
      04-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #134
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
I was simply referring to the fact that you stated you were "hacking" flash tunes for tables... It may be another company you're "hacking" but its still a shame that you are taking someone else's hard work. I was not accusing you, just pointing out what you stated in your own post.

-Josh
You reverse engineered something that isn't yours. Other people did too. If someone decides they want to give theirs away for free, there's nothing you can do about it. It wasn't yours to begin with. Unless he's stealing your proprietary code or using your proprietary and patented method, you've got nothing to complain about.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #135
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
You reverse engineered something that isn't yours. Other people did too. If someone decides they want to give theirs away for free, there's nothing you can do about it. It wasn't yours to begin with. Unless he's stealing your proprietary code or using your proprietary and patented method, you've got nothing to complain about.
I completely agree.

-Josh

Edit: Sorry, I said I wouldn't post anymore...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #136
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Should also say that I am willing to help out this open source initiative where I can. I've got technical chops but my software coding is pretty... well... ugly. I've done some MegaSquirt, VEMS, etc. No COBB as yet. Just got my laptop all set up to code my car. Glad to see this happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #137
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

All in for this going forward.
I have an early 2007, if I can help let me know. I have a dcan k+coding cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #138
widebody335
Rep
Drives: faux m3 widebody 335i

Srsly I'm sure that once we advance the open source findings, Cobb will benefit from the information and incorporate them into their product as well - nothing wrong with that - you'd be stupid not to. That's what platform advancement is all about

And yea lets not forget, if anyone is stealing and rev engineering - we are all taking it from the actual creator aka Siemens.

Again the tuners should realize that this benefits them too, and that there is still a lot of value in their service. Turnkey solutions and support are always what show value.... Even in normal software. We are all mostly using windows and osx not Linux aren't we?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #139
Rombinhood@OpenFlash
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
If Cobb tries to stifle you legally without any solid proof of wrong-doing on your end, please let us know. I'm on the verge of ditching my Cobb platform on my GT-R as Cobb falls further behind the curve, and I'm sure that market and others would love to hear about Cobb's anti-competitive behavior. It'll just strengthen ECUtek's momentum in the GT-R world even more at the very least.

Cobb, you guys are treading on very thin ice if there's no real, solid substance to your case. The potential for a detrimental effect on your brand FAR outweighs the benefits, IMO.
I believe everything to be okay now as it appears that Josh@Cobb was operating under incorrect information. Hopefully that is all behind us now. I 100% appreciate his desire to keep their IP to themselves as I would do the same if I were in a similar situation.

Back to business. Basic read/write and checksum calculation is functional and fully tested thanks to a couple helpful field testers. We are currently evaluating a few different programming cable hardware configurations. This is an important step as it sets the stage for what we can and can't do in terms of future add-ons. Even the lowest frills version is far sturdier than the original cable that I have been using from the start of this project. Probably going to go overkill with a few components since not doing so has little appreciable effect on total hardware cost.

I have received more map definition (XDF) files from Shiv@vishnu and Dave W covering almost all the software versions that we need to consider this job complete. All I believe I'm missing is a 335is ROM. If you have a 335is and are in the SF bay area, please PM me so we can dump your ECU data or disassembly. You're contribution would be greatly appreciated! Once we have collected all this data, XDF files for all the MSD80/81 software versions will be posted up

Have a good day!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #140
Lunatic Fringe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RombinHood2 View Post
I'm not a GUI guy myself but Shiv and Dave W. already have developed XML/XDF files for the open source map editing suites they have been using. Shiv uses TunerPro ad Dave W. uses OpenECU. I'll defer all GUI questions to them since they have both generously agreed to support that side of things. My role is primarily in hardware/firmware development.
Been reading this thread for a while, exciting stuff. I have a question that may sound a little stupid, but possibly others are wondering the same thing. It sounds like there are already ECU tuning platforms out there like the ones you mention above. What is stopping the likes of Dave W. and Shiv from creating tunes and then uploading them somewhere for other people to modify/add to? Surely you just need a DCAN cable to upload them through the OBD2 port. I know I'm missing something, just trying to figure out what it is...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #141
Rombinhood@OpenFlash
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic Fringe View Post
Been reading this thread for a while, exciting stuff. I have a question that may sound a little stupid, but possibly others are wondering the same thing. It sounds like there are already ECU tuning platforms out there like the ones you mention above. What is stopping the likes of Dave W. and Shiv from creating tunes and then uploading them somewhere for other people to modify/add to? Surely you just need a DCAN cable to upload them through the OBD2 port. I know I'm missing something, just trying to figure out what it is...
Nothing is stopping them or anyone from doing just that. That's why this is so exciting. Community driven development of calibration files is where it's at.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #142
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Any idea which cable we'll need yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #143
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Any idea which cable we'll need yet?
Alot of people use the K+DCAN cable found on eBay for 90-100$ for anything that requires flashing. Works well.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #144
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quite phenomenal! Thank you for doing this
      04-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #145
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

bump for updates
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #146
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Technically you guys are NOT stealing from Siemens, but rather BMW, who actually wrote the initial tables

Then again, can Microsoft get mad if you reverse engineer part of their OS that was loaded on the computer you rightfully purchased to make your computer perform faster?
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch

Last edited by joec500; 04-23-2013 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #147
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
bump for updates
At Rombinhood's request, I have arranged for a 335is to come by the shop this evening for a ROM dump. Another 335is should be coming by tomorrow evening as well. I think that should complete the ROM data collection gap. Which means we should have all the info necessary to create all the XDF files for all the different software version.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #148
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

my understanding is there are only two major 335is ROMs out there so it should be quick. wonder if they can do any magic on the DCT TCU.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #149
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just counted up the total number of editable tables in my IJE0S XDF file (what all other XDF files will be based upon): 221

The X (and Y) variables on each 3d/2d map also get their own 2d maps since all rpm/load breakpoints will be editable as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #150
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Just counted up the total number of editable tables in my IJE0S XDF file (what all other XDF files will be based upon): 221

The X (and Y) variables on each 3d/2d map also get their own 2d maps since all rpm/load breakpoints will be editable as well.
That's what I'm talking about. Can't wait to load this up into turnerpro. Do you have a working ADX or the ability for datalogging?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #151
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
At Rombinhood's request, I have arranged for a 335is to come by the shop this evening for a ROM dump. Another 335is should be coming by tomorrow evening as well. I think that should complete the ROM data collection gap. Which means we should have all the info necessary to create all the XDF files for all the different software version.
Do you have a list of the different firmwares you have collected? Does that include PPK firmware? Or are you considering that simply as a modification of the MSD81 base firmware?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #152
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
Do you have a list of the different firmwares you have collected? Does that include PPK firmware? Or are you considering that simply as a modification of the MSD81 base firmware?
Over the last year or so, we've dumped well over 100 ROMs from all over the world courtesy of those who sent their DME to us to be Procedeflashed (single turbo, e85, fueling, etc,.) We've seen many unique software numbers. But they all seem to fall into the following XDF/templates:

IJE0S
IJC0S
I890S
I8A0S
IGD0S
I480S
ICJ1S

Even the DME data I dumped this morning from a single turbo customer in Norway fell into the IJE0S category.

I suspect another one will be added for the 335is cars that i'll be reading today and tomorrow. And another one for PPK flashes which I have not read yet. Once Rombinhood starts distribution of his open source cable, we can quickly fill in what small data gaps we have now.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 04-23-2013 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #153
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8bait View Post
That's what I'm talking about. Can't wait to load this up into turnerpro. Do you have a working ADX or the ability for datalogging?
*I* don't have any of that. Don't need it since the Procede does all the logging we need. But I think Rombinhood has something up his sleeve (in his quiver?)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #154
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I can almost guarantee that most vehicles will fall under IA8OS or IJEOS from what i've seen...