E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Is this a transmission warning light?

12-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #23
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

That's a totally bullshit thesis in this context. The thing that sets BMW apart is the widespread favoring of complexity and careful design over simplicity and proven paradigms with reduced functionality goals. Like a battery system with three categories of power distribution intelligently switched for power management, constant measurement across 9 orders of current magnitude for the sake of usage and SOC detection, and an explosive disconnect for the one line which is unfeasable to fuse traditionally. A car that uses the parasitic optical transduction of an LED to sense the horizontal displacement of the start button rather than a simple mechanical contact which, I guess, they decided could fatigue.

On the other hand, adding an arbitrary trouble indicator which only ever appears in conjunction with another, more specific and useful indicator is a TERRIBLE GODDAMN UI DECISION. One which is explained NOWHERE IN THE MANUAL, because, I suppose, what could you really add about an indicator with no purpose, anyway?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #24
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
On the other hand, adding an arbitrary trouble indicator which only ever appears in conjunction with another, more specific and useful indicator is a TERRIBLE GODDAMN UI DECISION. One which is explained NOWHERE IN THE MANUAL,
It's on P. 82 of my 2007 manual - including the exclamation point within a triangle general warning. See "Indicator and Warning Lamps" under "Check Control".

Sorry you don't care for BMW's design decisions - perhaps they will check with you first when the F30 is freshened up.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ahh, so the answer to this ENTIRE thread is not "it's a fuel warning light, you moron," but rather "it means you have Check Control messages available, select that menu in the BC." I stand by my sentiment that it's ridiculous to fire a second indication for something so obvious, but at least that's an answer, and a good one.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #26
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I think the issue is in the way you worded your original post. You posted a picture with a giant fuel pump warning and asked if it was the transmission warning light. Obviously your intent was to inquire about if the little triangle was the transmission warning light but that's not how your post came across.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #27
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's true, and I was definitely in a rush to get out the door and meant to say "yes, I know I'm low on gas, not what I'm talking about." But I figured specifying "warning to the top right of my shift indicator," coupled with the obviousness of a gas light, would be enough specificity. Seems that's not so.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #28
e90_328
modding little by little
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I actually think that the secondary triangle warning is necessary. Becuz.....

When U actually start driving... the GIANT GAS SYMBOL goes away. Its the same for ANY OTHER WARNING when u drive,,,, it goes away.

SO U KINDA NEED THE triangle warning to let u know to look thru the check control.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #29
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90_328 View Post
I actually think that the secondary triangle warning is necessary. Becuz.....

When U actually start driving... the GIANT GAS SYMBOL goes away. Its the same for ANY OTHER WARNING when u drive,,,, it goes away.

SO U KINDA NEED THE triangle warning to let u know to look thru the check control.
Wrong.

The gas light MAY go away if it only JUST came on, it's triggered by a range-to-dead-empty calculation, which naturally changes with driving style and thus fuel consumption.

But once you're solidly into the reserve range, it won't go away. In fact, you can't even change the BC off of range readout at that point.
Appreciate 0