E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Next stage - what would you do?

09-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Next stage - what would you do?

What would you do next? Started with the hifi system in my e90. Looking to my next upgrade, here is what I have done so far and my 3 favorite options for the next upgrade, what would you do?? (trying to keep it at ~$400 for the next move). I listen to mostly classic rock and jazz type music and based on the bass I can get from the stock underseats amped don't see the need for a sub in the trunk.

Stage 1 - replaced front mids with BSW 4", front tweeters with Polk DB, rears with BSW mids and tweeters. Stock underseats. Nice marginal improvement, did not sound "great", but no longer painful to listen to like the stock system!

Stage 2- added 4 channel amp to the front mids/tweeters and underseats. Running the rears off HU power. Big difference! Now my system has some nice power, speakers really came alive. Could live with this for awhile.

Stage 3??? - First off already have a Polk DB coax installed in the center dash, but not wired up yet. For low dollar hookup was going to bridge it off the front amp channels with an L-pad volume control. My major dilemma is between:

option1: add an MS-8 to what I have now, powering the center and rears off the MS-8, fronts/underseats off the 4 channel amp.
option2: add better underseats, something along the line of Morels/Jehnerts or the like, and power the center with the bridged/L-pad discussed above.
option3: cool it with the audio for awhile and get the AA tune!

What would you do next remembering the ~$400 budget??? Don't limit yourself to my options listed and Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Option 2 Jehnerts

If you started out with Hi Fi how could you be running the rears
off Head Unit power since the Hi Fi uses a small amp and the
output of the Hi Fi head unit is suppose to be differential 5 volt
signals.
Also what amp did you use
By the way how much improvement did the amping the underseats
make?
Did you mention the model and year of your car?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

You already have my comments. ctuna's question is a very good one. I suspect you meant "OEM HiFi amp power".

If I confine myself to your list, better underseats would be my choice. I don't think you will be getting an MS-8 for $400 shipped unless you buy it used. I can't get an MS-8 for $400 shipped, so I don't think that you will.

But if you'd like a deal on my old demo unit, installed in my car for a few weeks, shoot me a message.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
keep in mind if you get the MS-8, which you should, you can run the rear and center speakers off of it
and in that case you don't need the OEM HIFI amp anymore
so you can take that out (keep it for resale of car) and you can install the MS-8 in the same location
and if you are only powering 3 speakers using the built in amp, you can even use the OEM power and ground cables from the HIFI amp to power it.
maximum power draw on the ms-8 is 16A, per manual, that's assuming you are powering all 8 channels.
you will be drawing at best about 6-8 amps
which the OEM wire can easily handle
so right there you have power, ground, and remote all conveniently placed for you
so you could even do this without taking apart any trim etc

Are you using Technics harness?
      09-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the interest, let me try and answer some of these questions.

1. Yes using Technic harness
2. No not using oem amp, the rears are being powered (albeit very lowly) by the hifi head unit. They do indeed provide fill this way, I learned it here!
3. Using Alpine 4 channel MRP amp. Made a big difference to the fronts/tweets and the underseats. Although I think would like more musical underseats.
4. Car is 2008 328
5. VP - I can get the ms-8 units used for ~$400. I'll shoot you a note on yours. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
keep in mind if you get the MS-8, which you should, you can run the rear and center speakers off of it
and in that case you don't need the OEM HIFI amp anymore
so you can take that out (keep it for resale of car) and you can install the MS-8 in the same location
and if you are only powering 3 speakers using the built in amp, you can even use the OEM power and ground cables from the HIFI amp to power it.
maximum power draw on the ms-8 is 16A, per manual, that's assuming you are powering all 8 channels.
you will be drawing at best about 6-8 amps
which the OEM wire can easily handle
so right there you have power, ground, and remote all conveniently placed for you
so you could even do this without taking apart any trim etc

Are you using Technics harness?
Karim, have you found the ms-8 capable of pushing the BSW fronts/tweets? That would be great as then I could bridge my amp to give some real power to the underseats.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Karim, have you found the ms-8 capable of pushing the BSW fronts/tweets? That would be great as then I could bridge my amp to give some real power to the underseats.
It can drive them, Assuming you have the 2ohm versions
But
I think it sounded like shit
The built in amps on the ms-8 are barely adequate
If you want to bridge the channels to give more power to the subs
Get a smaller 2 channel amp for the fronts

I've used the ms-8 to drive all my speakers when I first installed it
Was very unimpressed, it doesn't have enough power to really drive the speakers

Why not sell the xd400/4 and get a 600/6?